Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Golani/Galil 223 Cocking handle solution - too close to receiver-rips my hand

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by OMNIBLENDER, Mar 25, 2012.

1. OMNIBLENDER

OMNIBLENDER Salt Lake City UT Metro Area (Eagle Mountain) New Member

golani cocking handle closeup.jpg

This cocking handle is pretty close to the receiver. It was a problem pulling back/charging, ripping my hand even before i installed the picatiny/weaver style hand-guard reaching over the receiver.

Solutions could be having a machine shop pulling the handle out, looking to see if I can find a modified bolt carrier, in part taking down / cutting my rail or sanding / grinding it down (ugly), or maybe you can tell me what other options there could be. What have you done to resolve this issue.

I am right-handed. So I use my left hand to reach over the receiver and cock back the handle. For now, to avoid slicing myself, I have to use my right hand, thus move my finger off the trigger area...not good for tactical purposes... And no, I don't want to buy a different gun.

Can you please discuss your ideas with me?

Thanks much!

golani cocking handle closeup.jpg

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Never had that problem on my Galil ARM or Tromix S06.

I am sure there are lots of places to get these but here is a new, longer weld on handle, CHARGING HANDLE-TROMIX GALIL STYLE

3. OMNIBLENDER

Thanks for that. That is an idea. I just take the bolt carrier to a machine shop, have them chop it off and weld on a longer one, paint... done! Easy! Anything to watch out for?

4. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

you could cut that one off and weld it at a greater angle leaning away from the receiver...

5. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The best solution is that you can actually use a standard AK bolt-carrier in a Galil, they're quite compatible, one just needs to swap the piston. Apparently folks do it specifically to solve the type of problem you describe.

Unka-Boo and (deleted member) like this.
  6. 74sporty

74sporty metro portland Active Member

40 bucks for a bolt's worth of metal? wow thats pricey. maybe im just a cheap bastard, but i would look around the hardware store first for something to weld and grind down. save yourself $39

7. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

If you bend it out or you change to an AK carrier then you lose the great Galil ergonomics. Why would a guy want to do that? I specifically had that style charging handle put on my Tromix, and paid the price. Worth every penny.

8. 74sporty

it is a great place to position the ch. didn't mean to make it seem i was bad typing the product... just the price.

im a big cheapskate so this was what i did with my saiga...

IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg

some might not like the pirates jewelery, but it works well and it was free. i love free

9. OMNIBLENDER

interesting idea. I like the idea of the AK style bolt carrier. Alternatively, I could cut my rail, or sand down the sharp edges on the right side, or wear shooting cloves...

Nice pictures, 74sporty!

10. 74sporty

thanks!

11. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

You could also go with a Lightning Bolt. Twin Charging handles, one on each side. $250 bucks but, they are amazing.