JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any one else here that's gone this route in the last year or so?

I've got all my paper work amassed to go to CMP and will be getting the notary and money order today. I'm pretty excited about this. I feel that I'll finally have a historic rifle that will be substantially worth more than I paid for it when I get it in hand. and don't figure the dumbwits will be messing with stuff like this.

Last Edited:
Congratulations on the upcoming purchase! I ended up picking up a 1942 mutt prior to purchasing from the CMP. The first time that the rifle went "ping" almost necessitated a change of shorts. I ended up trading her for a stainless python, but I'm sitting on a parts correct 1942 Springfield that I'm yet to shoot.

Last Edited:
I ordered a CMP "special" grade a few years ago. Just before they started requiring you to ship to an FFL. Having FedEx deliver a gun to my doorstep was pretty cool.

I love the gun and wanted something I could take to the range and shoot, so the special grade appealed to me with the new barrel and wood. I did not want a herloom, just a fun gun to shoot with a bit of history. I refinished the wood with tung oil and it turned out OK, but I would love to find some old USGI wood for it to make it a bit more "authentic". The new wood just does not have the same je ne sais quoi.

I've order afew and only had one with any kind of issues. From what I hear alot are coming in new wood but its nice. Thats what my last one had its a Korean war era H&R minor rust and very little pitting below woodline. In my opinion its been well worth what I've paid for them! Comparable guns would have cost much more in my looking.
This was the last one I got.
20200311_211842.jpg

They don't allow doorstep delivery anymore?

Oregon changed the C&R laws in 2015 I think (SB 941) so that all transfer including C&R have to go through an FFL. That was the end of direct to door for CMP. Can't believe that was 6 years ago now. I got my Garand just befor the change.

Oregon changed the C&R laws in 2015 I think (SB 941) so that all transfer including C&R have to go through an FFL. That was the end of direct to door for CMP. Can't believe that was 6 years ago now. I got my Garand just befor the change.
I'm sure that Oregon is safer now....

Well at least it actually was a weapon of war that was regulated for once.

Editing to add /s

Last Edited:
Congratulations on the upcoming purchase! I ended up picking up a 1942 mutt prior to purchasing from the CMP. The first time that the rifle went "ping" almost necessitated a change of shorts. I ended up trading her for a stainless python, but I'm sitting on a parts correct 1942 Springfield that I'm yet to shoot.

That "Ping!"

Luckily they've relaxed the qualification for getting one. Being over 60, a concealed carry permit and joining the Garand Collectors Association makes it pretty easy.
As time goes by and I get older I'm becoming more and more interested in old firearms. I do have an M1 that is a custom build. It has a '43 Win receiver and a '53 SA barrel. Throat 2.5 and muzzle almost 2. The rest of the parts are BMB (Breda). It shoots just great .

Received several Garrands from CMP, they are often not all matching, but their condition is emaculate. They make wonderful shooters.

I am of the mind that they are more often than not mixed parts. You don't pay $750.00 for all matching, that's for sure! This will be a Service Grade. Rated "Good to Very Good". That's all CMP has, other than a $400.00 "Drill Rifle" I guess some guys have some luck with using a sticky note on the forms requesting simple things...Like a lower number, more likely to have been in WWII. But then, it wouldn't be uncommon for it to have been in Korea, or someplace else in the world after WWII also. Or asking for a certain stock style. Me, I've decided I want one just the way it is! I like some personality with my historic guns. Not worried about this "Blind Date". I'm currently reading a book (more like an encyclopedia!) "The Essential M1 Garand". The author, "Jim Thompson", is suggesting that higher serial numbers actually got better as the war went on as far as accuracy and finish..

The one's my pops and I got from CMP were with new wood, and re-parked metal... or at least that's how they looked. Shoots where it needs to at 100 somethin' yards off hand, like it should.
If you can spare the coin, you won't regret this purchase in the least! There ain't much character, as these rifles look as tho new.
Shooting that Garrand today convinced me that I'd never spent $750 better.

I've order afew and only had one with any kind of issues. From what I hear alot are coming in new wood but its nice. Thats what my last one had its a Korean war era H&R minor rust and very little pitting below woodline. In my opinion its been well worth what I've paid for them! Comparable guns would have cost much more in my looking.
This was the last one I got.
View attachment 865629

The wood is beautiful on the gun. A little too beautiful actually. I would almost rather have one with some battle scars. In that case IF, I didn't like it, fine original to GI spec stocks are easily available from what I've seen. I admire very little nick, scratch and gouge on my 1918 Lee Enfield.

Shooting that Garrand today convinced me that I'd never spent $750 better.

That's the way I'm looking at it too. Regardless, those Garand's coming from CMP are worth more, right now, on Gun Broker. That fact right there is comforting. Holding and shooting a piece of history that had a lot to do with keeping large parts of the world free is the big pay-off for me.

I've purchased a few M1 service grades over the years from CMP via mail order. You cannot go wrong with a service grade. The M1 Garand is my favorite rifle, but I am getting the bug for those darned M1 Carbines too. Wish they still offered those, but then again, it's probably a good thing for my wallet they don't!

That's just because he has a high number serial :rolleyes:

I don't really know? I'm taking him at his word for now. He's a regular on GunBoards and adds input from time to time on the Garand, and other WWII rifles. Doesn't act like a know-it-all from what I've seen. And I've haven't seen anyone refute him on anything.

Last Edited:
I've purchased a few M1 service grades over the years from CMP via mail order. You cannot go wrong with a service grade. The M1 Garand is my favorite rifle, but I am getting the bug for those darned M1 Carbines too. Wish they still offered those, but then again, it's probably a good thing for my wallet they don't!

I've got the same problem with the MI carbine. I bought a new manufacture Inland a couple years ago. NOW, I've had the urge for the real thing. to get something decent your pretty much looking at $1,200.00 +/- now. And I think there are some other odd ones out there with non-GI parts that should go for under a K, but sellers will be asking too much and get the unsuspecting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top