JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have some folks we know from church. to keep this private I will keep it surface level. they both have money. a lot of money. one of them was hurt bad last week. waste down paralyzed. A sibling in the family started a go fund me for a certain amount of money. Am I just old school, or is this go fund me total crap most of the time. on a personal level it really turned me off. $25,000 is pocket change for them. Well at least that's what they project.

I know of some people who were really hurting and go fund me helped them out a lot. I have donated to certain things in the past. Usually if I donate it is for something or someone that I know and trust. With that said I know where you are coming from and have thought that many times. :confused:

I have donated a couple times to acquaintances that are ether dealing with a very sick newborn or unexpected death. That being said I personally cannot think of any reason or cause I would request friends, family or strangers to donate money to me or my family.

We have some folks we know from church. to keep this private I will keep it surface level. they both have money. a lot of money. one of them was hurt bad last week. waste down paralyzed. A sibling in the family started a go fund me for a certain amount of money. Am I just old school, or is this go fund me total crap most of the time. on a personal level it really turned me off. $25,000 is pocket change for them. Well at least that's what they project.
This is always my first reaction. Folks asking for money generally puts a bad taste in my mouth. Upbringing, I imagine.

But I'm sure there are plenty of legit ones. Some people don't really have anyone to lean on when things get tough.

Your story though, I'd punch the "man" in the mouth if he was a friend of mine.

A very close family friend got cancer and lives pay check to pay check. He was out of work 6 months recovering from the surgery. During that time my dad and I paid his car payment instead of donating to his go fund me. I was appalled to find out they keep something like 10% of the donations. I understand they have to run the website etc but that's just bull.... JJ watt gets 37 million donated to hurricane relief and they keep 3.7 million of it. F that!!! The things most people use that site for blow my mind. Help I need a car help I need a dog help I need.... try getting a job. As far as sick or injured people go I know some need help but it sure is an odd new fad

last time i donated money to someone was a friend of mine whos 8month old baby choked on vomit and died in his sleep. the money i donated was for mom and dad to give him a proper funeral.

donated and never thought twice.

I have a go fund me page. It took a lot of wrestling with myself to do it because I feel much the same as all of you.

I have stage 4 melanoma. I had a lypmh node remove in April, a week after our first son was born. And had a brain tumor the size of a racket ball removed about a month ago. And the fight goes on.

I've been able to work through most of it because my company let me moving to working in the office instead of being outside 12 hours a day. Thank goodness I work for a small company that I've been loyal to.

We we doing fine money wise, even with my wife not working, with the pregnancy but getting slapped with cancer too has put us on emergency reserves. Trying to sell things helps but people don't buy much in the summer and I don't have much time with so many damn doctors appointments and the rest of the time I'd rather spend with my son. I think I've gotten about $500 from mostly friends and family, which helps very much.

I can definitely see how people could abuse the platform. Same as how the voluntary homeless take the resources from the few who really need help.

Locally here a UCC victim got close to a Million on GofundMe if I recall they setup two accounts. He was out of the Hospital, and left the area never to be seen again. ( oh and took the money )o_O

Locally here a UCC victim got close to a Million on GofundMe if I recall they setup two accounts. He was out of the Hospital, and left the area never to be seen again. ( oh and took the money )o_O

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It is ones like this that absolutely turns me off to things like this. I agree, unless I know them personally, I've got no desire to "help" anyone.

In the past a community would come together to help a neighbor who was encountering difficult times and I think Go Fund Me is an extension of that community spirit in the digital age. However, my observation is that in some cases it has become a cash grab for some people. At least two recently fired government employees come to mind. But if people want to give their cash to people who may not deserve it, then that is their business.

I don't know to what extent, if any, Go Fund Me vets any of the requests for donation on their website.

I saw something yesterday that there is an account set up for Dawn Wells who played Mary Ann on Gilligans Island. Apparently she's fallen on hard times these days. I'll admit I almost bit on that one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top