JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a couple questions -

- what is the capacity of a G17?
- can you use the mag extentions (+2 or 3) on a G17 mag?
- what does a fully loaded G17 mag weigh?
- what does a fully loaded G21 mag weigh?

Thanks for all the answers. I'm gunna buy a new handgun for Home Defense and SHTF. I was trying to decide on .45 or 9mm and have all ready decided on a Glock. I think this just made my choice a G17. Even if I put +3 extentions on the mags they will still weigh less than .45 mags and have 7 more rounds. I know 9mm is nothing compare to .45, but I'm pretty sure it will work for what I need it to and it's a lot cheaper, and it's a NATO caliber. I can buy good HD ammo for it and some bulk ammo for SHTF. I was kicking around a P226 with those factory 20rd mags, but they are $800+ and I can buy a lot of ammo and mags with that extra $300. And I personally like Glocks better than SIGs...

I want to be able to carry it in a holster easily. I figure one 17+3 in the gun and two more in a pouch is enough to carry on my body. Plus having an AR with a 30 in it, a 30 on the butt stock and 6 30s on a chest rig or in a pack.

i have read about buildup when using non jacketed reloads, but the consensus was that there was buildup, but either clean it out, or run a few rounds of jacketed to keep things working.

my personal experience has been with 300+ rounds lead, non jacketed, and 5 rounds after that of jacketed, and there was no buildup to speak of?

YMMV

No lead because it fouls, or feeding issues?

I've not yet loaded for semi-autos, but have recently learned about BHN, and how you ideally should mate your lead hardness to the round's pressure. (brinell hardness number = Pressure / 1280).

I can't tell you how excited I was to develop a .357mag load for $0.08/round that didn't lead my barrel in my GP100.

(sorry to hijack the thread) :(

I imagine I'd always use JHP 9mm, unless I was plinking or wanted to lower my practice ammo costs.