JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took my G43 out recently and noticed that after I shot the last round in the mag that the slide catch didn't hold the slide back, it just returned to battery then went click when I pulled the trigger. After taking it apart I noticed that the recoil assembly was sitting in the the 1st notch not the 2nd which is closer to the barrel.

Has anyone had similar issues or have any advice? Thanks!

It's a newer gun. Don't recall it happening before, but there were other people around before also and we weren't paying attention. When I went by myself it happened on every mag.

I'm voting riding the slide stop.

Next time out be more conscious of the slide stop and see if your hand, thumb, or a finger is near our sitting on the slide stop.

Yeah, I went shooting with a buddy who was in the military and has a nice collection of guns. He kept riding the slide stop and complaining that his two Glocks always do that. I smiled and said "It's the shooter, not the gun". I promptly emptied a couple of mags out of both and never had a problem just to show him it was his thumb, not the gun! :D

I've got a G42 and was having the same problem. 100% I was holding down the slide stop with my right thumb. There are a few fixes, if that's your problem:

1) Ignore it and just train to charge the slide after a mag change.
2) Change your grip, keeping your right thumb sticking out a bit.
3) Cut off the tab of your slide stop so your thumb cannot interact with it, but it can still function.

Unless you can prove to yourself that YOU are not causing the problem, then you have to assume it is your grip...And not the gun.

It may be ammo related. I had the same problem pop up on my G19 and 34 and it drove me nuts. Not riding slide release, mags NEW or in great shape, firm grip, etc. I was using ammo bought in bulk or was cheapest at retail. This includes Remington, American Eagle, Fiocchi, Blazer, you name it. Once I started reloading my guns functioned perfectly.

If the recoil spring was improperly installed, this could prevent the slide stop mechanism from going into battery. Otherwise, the magazine spring is what forces the slide stop into battery when the magazine is empty. My first guess would be a weak magazine spring. Not an uncommon problem, as not all manufacturer's use the best quality spring steel. I have had new magazines from a high quality gun (Sig P210 Legend) go bad after leaving them loaded for just a few days. Buy Wolff extra power magazine springs and replace.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top