JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always liked Glocks and have never "upgraded" anything besides sights and maybe a stainless guide rod for fun. I am kinda bored with my 17, and looking to do something to it, that actually adds to the functionality. I have never had an issue with the stock trigger, but thinking about starting there. What else should I look at?

What are people getting out of these $1000+ packages that Taran, Zev and so on are doing?

I don't like red dots on pistols, I don't want a modified grip and slide cuts are ugly, so those are all out.

Sights and maybe a trigger. Glocks don't gain much the more $$$ you spend in them. That $$$$ on the Gucci ones doesn't turn a novice into a pro.

Any money you think you might want to spend on it because
I am kinda bored with my 17
should be spent on ammo and gas to drive yourself somewhere to shoot it more.

Otherwise sell it.

If you are only looking to modify it because you're bored with it, sell it. Spend that money on ammo shooting the ones that don't make you bored.

Sights and maybe a trigger. Glocks don't gain much the more $$$ you spend in them. That $$$$ on the Gucci ones doesn't turn a novice into a pro.

Any money you think you might want to spend on it because

should be spent on ammo and gas to drive yourself somewhere to shoot it more.

Otherwise sell it.

If you are only looking to modify it because you're bored with it, sell it. Spend that money on ammo shooting the ones that don't make you bored.
It is my "go to" full size 9mm, so not selling it. I shoot it fine as is, all stock with factory night sights. Glocks are just boring guns. I am not trying to or expecting it to shoot better than it does now, or any modification making me shoot it better, more asking if any other (mostly internal) modifications are worth doing? Is there something I don't know that would blow my mind?

I have ammo and I shoot at home.

It is my "go to" full size 9mm, so not selling it. I shoot it fine as is, all stock with factory night sights. Glocks are just boring guns. I am not trying to or expecting it to shoot better than it does now, or any modification making me shoot it better, more asking if any other (mostly internal) modifications are worth doing? Is there something I don't know that would blow my mind?

I have ammo and I shoot at home.
Nothing is going to blow your mind without compromising the safe, reliable and boring part of the pistol.

Maybe a new holster might change things up.

Shot clock can add enjoyment.

Suppressor could change it up.

I love to tinker with my Glocks.

I agree with @Reno and others about upgrading sights, maybe a trigger, but then spending big $$ on ammo to practice. (After all, shooting is ALMOST all the fun).

One thing I've always liked to do when purchasing a USED Glock is to:

Completely disassemble (including the striker channel) and clean.

Then replace a bunch of the internal parts that are inexpensive - at least they were inexpensive BEFORE COVID. Prices are coming back down now. Springs, extractor assembly, striker assembly (except the striker), recoil spring/guide rod, trigger connector, etc.

Also, I'll give it a 25 cent trigger job (I've got a TINY Dremel tool that makes that easy).

I guess that's all part of my undiagnosed OCD - 🤣

I personally like a flat faced trigger on my Glocks and my Glock performance trigger isn't bad, either. Changing the sights from the standard Glock type to a 3 dot or a black rear, fiber front/ whatever your favorite type of sight is can be nice, too. Not really a lot they need and truly "improving" them takes you on a walk well away from how it was originally designed to function.

You could join GSSF and then search for an upcoming Glock armorer's class. There, you will learn the in's and out's of the Glock platform. After that, you can decide if or what you want to "upgrade" on your 17.

I'd probably opt for Glock's new performance trigger, then maybe an aftermarket threaded barrel and comp….

Iron sights, weapon light, compensator, Kagwerks slide release.

Disregard the home done stipple and awesome spray paint.

IMG_2931.jpeg

Seems to me that a lot of people want to "upgrade" their Glocks as soon as they get it. Not suggesting OP is one of those as he seems sensible. Anyway those folks seem to put as much $ into the "upgrades" as the gun and often end up with a gun that is not as reliable as the original. But to each their own.

Some of the suggestions of using the "upgrade" money for an additional gun, suppressor, etc make a lot of sense to me. Personally I love seeing what kind of accuracy I can squeeze out of a Glock when shooting as fast as I can on multiple targets. Braces and red dots make all the difference for that but sounds like that is outside your interest. In that case I would go for a suppressor most likely. Just my 2 cents.

Glock OEM extended slide release and extended mag release. Night sights if you don't have 'em.
There is no quicker way to screw up a functioning gun than to start 'improving' it.

I have smallish hands (don't say it) so I installed an enlarged slide and mag release. I haven't done anything else because nothing else needs done. If the gun had a safety or a decocker, I'd probably mess with the trigger.

The simple truth is, it's just a carry gun. Like you, I find it boring. I shoot it well enough for self-defense. The factory sights work very well with my aging eyes. I'll probably take some flak for this, but it's just not a good gun to build into a race gun. Or at least there are way better ones out there. I have to remind myself to practice with it because, unlike my other pistols, I don't get excited about shooting it. If you have another gun, especially one you don't carry, maybe fiddle with that one instead.

I have smallish hands (don't say it) so I installed an enlarged slide and mag release. I haven't done anything else because nothing else needs done. If the gun had a safety or a decocker, I'd probably mess with the trigger.

The simple truth is, it's just a carry gun. Like you, I find it boring. I shoot it well enough for self-defense. The factory sights work very well with my aging eyes. I'll probably take some flak for this, but it's just not a good gun to build into a race gun. Or at least there are way better ones out there. I have to remind myself to practice with it because, unlike my other pistols, I don't get excited about shooting it. If you have another gun, especially one you don't carry, maybe fiddle with that one instead.
100% to all of that for me. Re boring a suppressor makes it more fun or one of these, or both.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top