JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@284guy, Location, location, location. This river draws from the valley and elsewhere those that bring a certain lack of ethics with them due to it's close proximity to larger cities, not that some of the locals are beyond reproach, as many are just as guilty. One need only take a day trip into the countryside surrounding the larger metro areas to see the garbage dump sites, or to witness the activities that take place in these areas daily to make one long for further distances from such places, but that is the reality of it. While I agree it's "dirt bag central" during salmon season, this little river is far to beautiful to just give up on. Through diligence there are ways to affect change. Many on this river are becoming passionate about changing the tactics and techniques that have become far to common here, and there more than just a few that are willing to take a stand and make that call to the OSP when these activities are taking place. Yes there are risks involved, but where does it stop? The local state troopers are more than willing to respond to any call they receive and they really appreciate the effort. Through education there more than just a handful that have been convinced that there are far more productive and satisfying ways to pursue their piscatorial endeavors. Slowly at first, and now in greater numbers we are seeing far more bobber/bait fisherman and hardware pitchers than just a few short years ago. And while I agree that it's not the rig that's the problem, it would be a shame to see it outright banned due to the lack of ethics of those that use it to poach fish, Washington has already done so on many rivers. A spin glow with eggs or chunk of tuna belly in the egg loop can be a very effective bait indeed! I would implore of you to come back and join our ranks, because it is you and your passion that are needed. If you just give up and walk away without attempting to influence those that employee such behavior,, how long will it be before they end up on a river or creek near you? As a side note, and out of curiosity,, that guide that you referenced,, is he a tall lanky fellow? I do hope to meet you on the river sometime,, John.

I used to launch my boat and go up to the barn hole to get away from those crowds, but slowly they oozed their way up there too. It is too bad, it was a fun stream, and epic days could be had in tidewater. I grew up fishing there, springers, summer strays from the siletz, pinks in even number years along with sockeyes in late July/early august, chums, huge winter steelhead. Maybe someday I'll come back and target dome of those hatchery fish, but now I have a young son, and I font want him associating that spectical with fishing. Yes, that guide is a tall lanky fellow.

The tall lanky fellow is named DUNKIN and we here on the river refer to him as "the crane" and he doesnt fool anyony. Anytime you wish to bring your son down for an enjoyable time fishing a certain chunk of private property just above the barn and brey hole 284guy, let me know on the contact point on this site, there are still epic days that can be had here without having to endure the spectacle.

@SNEW, If I was to happen upon someone that was learning to fish I would be glad to help in any way I could. Go back and READ previous posts and I'm sure you will find that I stated that they can be effective, used correctly. The issue is when poachers use them as a technique to snag under the guise of fishing that is the problem. They are ruining it for others such as yourself that employee them legally. Am I full of myself when it comes to this? in a word,, YES. If I offended you in anyway, then I would extend an apology, but if you use them in the manner described as snagging, poaching or attempting to foul-hook,, need I say more

well said, as I said earlier corkies are fine when used as a lure. I don't believe you heed to learn to snag fish to learn to use them properly. It doesn't take long to learn the difference between a line bump and a bite.

If your new to corky/yarn ya you might snag a few. But so be it. If you keep a snagged fish then that is wrong on many levels, unless your faced with a situation (your the one on the line, so you make the choice). But how I see it, if you can hook fish on a consistent basis in the mouth, then good for you, I really don't care how your technique is. My fav. go to rig is 2 small hooks with corky in between with yarn/bait @ 2'-6' leaders. Always hooked fair.

You do hear a bunch of guys say rather loudly, right in the mouth! Its kind of like they expected otherwise. Yep the salmon river does attract a bunch of rather unsavory people doesn't it?

Its been years since i fished the Salmon but i remember someone possibly matching Dunkins description, cursing the gods because a 48 lb salmon was terrorizing the fishermen. Anyways while he was cursing the salmon for breaking a 300 dollar pole he was sitting in a tree above the hole with the biggest 44 magnum revolver i had ever seen, swearing he was going to shoot that you know what fish if he came near the surface. Anyways later that day someone else caught the big guy, he had a corky stuck in his dorsal which made it easy to id him.

Doesn't really match Dunkins MO. He uses a technique that's actually quite interesting, he waits with the bait right in front of the salmon's mouth and when the fish opens his mouth to flush water over it's gills, it sucks in the bait and he sets the hook. legal?? maybe, but not ethical for certain. Hence the name we have given him,, The Crane.

I am worried about getting the cops called on me since I am new at salmon/ steel head fishing. And have been told to try using a corky/yarn and am not sure when I have a strike or a rub yet.:eek:

Doesn't really match Dunkins MO. He uses a technique that's actually quite interesting, he waits with the bait right in front of the salmon's mouth and when the fish opens his mouth to flush water over it's gills, it sucks in the bait and he sets the hook. legal?? maybe, but not ethical for certain. Hence the name we have given him,, The Crane.

and you think any kind of bait fishing is much different? the salmon sure as heck isn't trying to eat it for any nutritional purpose. as you probly well know when exposed to fresh water their stomach shivels and essentially dies, the only reason eggs are generally effective is that its a natural instinct for them to break/kill as many competing egsg as possible therefore giving their offspring a better chance.

whether you like it or not flossing is and will be legal

to say that snaggers in the river are the cause for dwindling salmon numbers is also a pretty ridiculous claim, or at least in my part it is. a few thousand salmon being pulled by anglers is a small dent in the run down here, the main damage is done in the ocean by commercial trollers

@ Oregonxj,, Good question. First, a Corky/yarn combo used in the right application can be a very effective lure. For an added benefit I would consider using a shrimp or anise oil to the yarn to enhance the lure. When drifting the lure you want to be "bumping" the bottom with your presentation with just enough weight to stay down where the steel head call home. Generally the fish is in a lay above, below or to the side of structure that breaks the current slightly enough to allow it to use less energy to stay in place, that may be just a shallow depression in the rock/gravel bottom. When the fish moves to take the lure, he usually only moves a foot or two to do so. At this time when it takes the lure you may only feel a tug as the lure stops. This tug has been described as like feeling a rubber band on the end of your line that is being pulled and relaxed,, this is the fish's tail moving side to side in the current. What a lot of people consider the bite is in my opinion, the fish flaring and popping its gills and jaws trying to expel the lure. There may be some head shaking involved as the fish tries to expel it,, hence the use of yarn to entangle the teeth allowing you more time to set the hook. I have harvested many steel head, more by far have fallen for bait than corkys. An old recipe that is deadly for both summer and winter run steel head, also cutthroat, Chinook and whatever swims in fresh water,, is to take several dozen night crawlers, place them in moss and LIGHTLY sprinkle garlic powder over them. Place them in the fridge for a couple of days, head to the river and then hold tight to your rod! I hope this helps.

@dunes450r, I never said snaggers are the cause of dwindling numbers of fish, perhaps someone else posted that and I missed it, BUT a snagged fish that has been fought to exhaustion and landed then released with a gapping hole in it is far less likely to survive and that isn't even debatable. What I did say was that snaggers/giggers and flossers are of the lowest character and I will take that a step further and state here and now that anyone that engages in this activity has no business on the river period. YES that's a strong statement,, and if it angers anyone, then perhaps they should take a good hard long look at themselves (or not) and reevaluate both their technique and morals. IT IS ILEGAL IN OREGON to intentionally snag or attempt to snag Salmon/Steel head/Trout and far to many game and non-game species to list here. Flossing, the attempt to place a line across the open mouth of a fish and then drag the hook into the fish is snagging. Whether you like it or not.

@ Oregonxj,, Good question. First, a Corky/yarn combo used in the right application can be a very effective lure. For an added benefit I would consider using a shrimp or anise oil to the yarn to enhance the lure. When drifting the lure you want to be "bumping" the bottom with your presentation with just enough weight to stay down where the steel head call home. Generally the fish is in a lay above, below or to the side of structure that breaks the current slightly enough to allow it to use less energy to stay in place, that may be just a shallow depression in the rock/gravel bottom. When the fish moves to take the lure, he usually only moves a foot or two to do so. At this time when it takes the lure you may only feel a tug as the lure stops. This tug has been described as like feeling a rubber band on the end of your line that is being pulled and relaxed,, this is the fish's tail moving side to side in the current. What a lot of people consider the bite is in my opinion, the fish flaring and popping its gills and jaws trying to expel the lure. There may be some head shaking involved as the fish tries to expel it,, hence the use of yarn to entangle the teeth allowing you more time to set the hook. I have harvested many steel head, more by far have fallen for bait than corkys. An old recipe that is deadly for both summer and winter run steel head, also cutthroat, Chinook and whatever swims in fresh water,, is to take several dozen night crawlers, place them in moss and LIGHTLY sprinkle garlic powder over them. Place them in the fridge for a couple of days, head to the river and then hold tight to your rod! I hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the info I will take all I can get.:s0155:

I dont agree with snagging, dont know about gigging, but flossing hooks them in the mouth, although not what Id call fishing yet.

I wish we could get rid of the nets and cut the commercial seasons down, now that would help.

I'm relatively new to the salmon/steelhead game but if you wanted my 2 cents, we need more game wardens or higher incentive for people to turn in snaggers. i mainly drift fish and i couldn't snag a fish on purpose if i tried. i don't know how people do it so much.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews