JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Way back when.....I had an Interarms Mark X that was made by FN in .30-06. It had the Mauser controlled feed action. It even looked like a Mauser. Though I don't recall how much (if any) interchangeability it shared with the military rifles.

Aloha, Mark

So should I replace the mauser or keep with the mauser?

Not sure how much the gunsmith would charge, but its probably more money to work on the mauser than it may be worth.

Sporterized O3s, O3A3s , 1917 US Enfields (30/06) are quite often found
at very reasonable prices.;) Back in the day it was very common to
modify a surplus battle rifle into a deer hunting rifle. I have seen many
O3s and O3A3s shoot extremely well with original barrels. These old war
horses are well made with a higher content on nickel steel and strong actions.
:):p:D

Another vote for the Ruger 77 MKII if buying a newer gun. (the Hawkeye is almost identical) If looking for a "deal" in a 30-06, I'd like Ron's suggestion. I've seen a bunch of sporterized guns, ones I would consider prime for refinishing or restocking, for as little as $150. Nice ones might break the $500 mark, but that's the exception.

FYI, the Ruger American is a push feed action and a Hell of a great gun. While there is fundamentally nothing wrong with a push feed and the 308 is a good hunting/target cartridge, I fully support the OP's quest for a CRF 30-06. If I was in his shoes (boots?) I would scrounge up a sporterized O3-A3 with a four groove barrel that someone hung a scope on and go!

Replace the Mauser. It will take a chunk of change to get it where you want it and there are platforms that are equally inexpensive that will be closer.

The suggestion of a sporterized 03 or 03a3 is a good one.

I found my 06 at a pawn shop for $250. It's a savage 110 (came with scope and mounts) with accutrigger and besides being filthy, is in great shape. Don't be afraid to hit up the pawn shops and used gun stores. After a full disassembly and cleaning, the cheap scope is still zerod.

The local shops was what made me decide on the .30-06. But I already decided on a Ruger Hawkeye as far as current production rifles go.

Looks real nice in wood, and the bolt is similar enough to the Mauser I don't really need to learn anything new.

Don't be afraid to hit up the pawn shops and used gun stores.
Good advice. I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 30-06 for $300 bucks. Looking at the blueing around the muzzle I bet it doesn't have more than a few boxes put through it. Lots of pawn shops have bolts actions just collecting dust, especially in urban areas where there is less need for a bolt gun, and they're willing to haggle in order to move inventory.

Since its been a few days, I did ultimately get the Ruger. Debating on the optic, but I'm gonna bed, float, then fit the magazine box (its too tight), before anything else at this point. I do have to admit though, would have liked the Leupold better if it was a fixed 4x.

IMG_3264.JPG

If you having allready picked something up, there are Daumoline Mauser acrions and barrels still availavle from Sarco, your right about $450 to 500, and both are available. The actions are very highly sought after, and the sporting contour barrels are new made and speciffically made for these actions with proper American twist rates for using 180 he ammo!:) I have two of these actions and they really are top shelf, and easy to barrel and then stock any way you choose. These also have the very nice bonus of being double square tops for easy scope mounting, and they have a very nice bolt handle set up that's darn sexy and clears an optic nicely!
Have a look! If you want a top of the line Mauser, here's your chance to have one of the best made, and even better, one made by you and easy to do! :)

the Ruger AMERICAN is not controlled feed, it's a push feed - I recently read a lengthy article on the subject that stated there has not been a documented failure in DOCUMENTED African hunting from a push feed firearm - I know that, beginning in '89 to date I've not had a failure to feed or a dropped cartridge from Abolt, Abolt II, or Tikka rifle after the LOAD of hunting and shooting - My choice these days hands down is Tikka T3x's

I am working on the restoration of a pre war Simpson Mauser sporter (bought here) it has been hacked up by some American gunsmiths over the years but will regain her original elegance within the year. She was originally an 8mm Mauser that someone reamed to 8mm 06 probably to help the ammo availability. It was a fairly common adaption done in the 50's when 8mm ammo (brass) was rare. It isn't a bad caliber and a bit more powerful than the original 8X57 loading. It has a solid rib barrel and set triggers. Should be worth a couple of grand when done but I will have quite a bit in it too. CDNN was selling 30-06 Thompson Center Dimention interchangeable caliber rifles the last little while for 269.00......if I was right handed (and need an 06) that would have been a great deal. It included rings and I think they are forged steel instead of cast.

The Ruger HAWKEYE is controlled feed.

Yup! Just Like the M77 MKII before it, but not the tang safety M77.

I am always amazed by guys that have to tie Africa to a "need" for a CRF action...
It's not the feeding of a push feed that I like the least, it's the fact that I have no control over where the case goes when the action is opened. When shooting from the bench I like to roll the bolt back and catch the empty shell with my right hand. I get to control the exit of a case unlike having a gun with spring loaded ejectors. Also, more than one shooter has closed the bolt on an empty chamber in a push feed because they closed the bolt once the empty shell cleared the action.

I don't hate push feeds, but I certainly applaud the decision to buy a Hawkeye!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top