JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a very nice Colt 14.5 barrel with attached FSB, the downside is that the gas tube is broken off inside of the FSB. Not sure how someone could manage that but here we are.

Any ideas to remove it? I've tried screw extractors and the like but couldn't get it. If anyone around Albany has the ability to do it I'd happily pay you for your time to remove it.

If it is carbon locked, a good soaking in something like CLR might help get it lose. If part of the roll pin has it stuck, maybe drill out the remaining roll pin.

I would think a good CLR soak should help get it lose. The bottom hole on the block should be big enough to see the remaining gas tube. With a small file or pick you should be able to nudge it on its way out.

If not, call Tim or hit him up here @Velzey

My idea would be to thread the ID of the gas tube, and screw in a screw, grab on the screw head with some pliers and pull it out.
A 6-32 tap would do it, and a 6-32 screw.

If it is carbon locked, a good soaking in something like CLR might help get it lose. If part of the roll pin has it stuck, maybe drill out the remaining roll pin.

I would think a good CLR soak should help get it lose. The bottom hole on the block should be big enough to see the remaining gas tube. With a small file or pick you should be able to nudge it on its way out.

If not, call Tim or hit him up here @Velzey
I'll try that and see if it helps, the roll pin is all the way out, something else is sticking it in there. I tried heat and cold but still didnt work.

My idea would be to thread the ID of the gas tube, and screw in a screw, grab on the screw head with some pliers and pull it out.
A 6-32 tap would do it, and a 6-32 screw.
That's what I tried as well, I dont think there's enough of the tube left to grab, it's mostly the solid portion.

Oh. Shoot. I was assuming there was some tube portion left.
I guess next step would be to take off the FSB from the barrel and drill out the solid portion. #15 (.180") drill.

Oh. Shoot. I was assuming there was some tube portion left.
I guess next step would be to take off the FSB from the barrel and drill out the solid portion. #15 (.180") drill.
That's kind of what I figured, I'll probably leave that to someone who has a fixture or something to hold it in place.

What size barrel? If it's .750", I've got an armalite block and tube for $25 in Corvallis.

F2BAF350-20CF-48E1-B38E-ED7523B06B8F.jpeg

I appreciate the offer but it's for a 723 build so I need to keep the FSB.
Well I have a drill press, several drill index's including cobalt and a vice for the press. You can come do it yourself and if ya screw it up I do have a FSB w/ tube you can have........ :p

I'll try that and see if it helps, the roll pin is all the way out, something else is sticking it in there. I tried heat and cold but still didnt work.
Probably just a bunch of cooked in carbon and crud. Heat and cooling likely won't help. Needs to be chemically removed or blasted away. Sand blaster might work to remove the crud, or add more! I'd say best bet is chemical bath to remove crud.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top