JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There's lots out there about people using the Glock 21 with spring/barrel mods to shoot .45 super ammo safely and reliably, but I haven't been able to find anything on using this ammo with the Glock 41. Do the differences in the the slide and barrel simply make it a bad match for this ammo, or would spring/chamber modifications make it work? Mine is a Gen 4 G41. Thanks for any input.

Factory barrel I assume? Should be fine I'd think. The extra weight in the slide will only serve to work in your favor. The glock is known to have a very sloppy loose chamber and very deeply cut ramp so make sure and check the brass after the first shot to make sure its not bulging too bad. I have a aftermarket barrel with a tighter chamber and more chamber support with the ramp it will handle anything and mines a standard 21 sf not a longlside like yours.

Factory barrel I assume? Should be fine I'd think. The extra weight in the slide will only serve to work in your favor. The glock is known to have a very sloppy loose chamber and very deeply cut ramp so make sure and check the brass after the first shot to make sure its not bulging too bad. I have a aftermarket barrel with a tighter chamber and more chamber support with the ramp it will handle anything and mines a standard 21 sf not a longlside like yours.
Thank you DP. Yes, factory barrel. However, the G41 slide is actually lighter than the G21, from what I understand - due to being narrower and having thinner walls. This is part of my concern with how it will take the added abuse of the higher powered ammo. I'm considering an aftermarket barrel for the reasons you mentioned, and a heavier recoil spring. Also wondering about whether the stock mag springs will keep pace with the hotter ammo in terms of feeding. These are all issues I have seen mentioned relative to using .45 super with the G21 and 1911 platforms - I just can't find much on the G41 and I don't know if that's because it doesn't need those mods - or because it's not suitable for .45 super even with those mods.

Considering it can handle a .460 Rowland with a little work, I'm sure the .45 super will be ok, too
This is true - but that conversion requires: new barrel, new recoil spring, new mag spring, add-on compensator. I realize that the .460 is a much bigger leap in power than the .45 super - I'm just wondering if I need to make any of those mods for .45 super. I'm hearing some folks say no mods needed, others suggesting a more supported chamber is needed, others just a recoil spring. I've sent a note to the ammo mfg to see if they have input regarding this specific pistol, and I'll share their response here if I hear back from them.

I've used 45 super and 450 SMC in my G30s with just a recoil spring change. The same will be true for the other .45ACP Grocks.

I'm not shooting 500 rounds a month with it, but for the backwoods bear/tweaker gun, it's been great.

Response from Underwood:

"Hello,
Thank you for reaching out to me, no additional changes needed. However, if you will shoot a steady diet of 255 grain hard cast, you will need to go to a 2 pound heavier spring. But I will advise, your gun is set up from the factory to run super."

I recall reading that the Glock 41 slide weighs less than the 21 slide due to the narrow width.
Yes that's right, I recall hearing that now. @carpcousin I'm sure it will be fine. I have bought 5-6 guide rods. There's ALOT of garbage out there. I've had very good luck with the basic stainless guide rods from glockstore and their beefier washer for the keeper is almost a must. My 10mm is a long slide and doesn't have the full perch support like the shorter slides it took a long time to find a solution I was using 22lb+ springs and it was warping the spring where it wasn't supported making it wavy. Most RSA's rods are too skinny and cause the spring to bulge out and rub the frame causing friction.

The aftermarket barrel I wouldn't worry too much about for instance if you use the starline brass like for Buffalo bore brand ammo (or I'm sure many others) it will be 100% fine, they make good strong brass. Infact they are the only source for the 460 Rowland brass. It might come into play a little if your using a weak head brass loaded to MAX +p it may bulge a little but it should be fine.

I might suggest getting a 22# and 24# IMSI spring.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top