JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is anyone on here familiar with the small diesel engines ( 28hp) on the small/mid size lawn/garden tractors? I have a '95 Ford 1715 diesel that I might have burned a valve or a hole into a piston. I blew a small water supply hose and ran the tractor for maybe 3-4 min to get it into my barn, I fixed the hose and the tractor still runs fine but now I have some serious blow-by from the valve cover breather tube. I pulled the valve cover to see if I could tell which cylinder was causing the issue but it looks clean and new in there. I''m not sure how to proceed other than doing a compression test and I dont have the tools to do that. The engine is low hours so I would rather not rebuild it which is what most "shops" sound like they would want to do. I'm hoping to hire someone with the knowledge and tools to help me figure it out and repair it..............but I really don't see anyone online advertising to do that work. Do any of you guys know of someone that can help? Thanks.

To locate the offending cylinder you need to remove the fuel injectors and crank the engine. The weak cylinder will have less air pressure pushing out. It may take a compression tester to identify the weak cylinder.
It looks like the engine was made by Shibaura. Here is a link: TractorData.com Ford 1715 tractor engine information

Do some research before attempting repair. Some engines are uneconomical to repair. Some can be replaced with a new engine.

Thanks for the info I appreciate the response. I have already identified the engine, which was harder than I thought it would be, and found a parts source although I haven't priced anything out yet. I'm hoping like most of us do that whatever went wrong will be an isolated easy fix. I just need someone with the knowledge and tools, like a good compression tester to help me out........I might have found a local guy.........we will see tomorrow.

Did you ever run it with out the air cleaner!
It's pretty easy to dust out a diesel engine in a hurry! :eek:
Outside of that, ether you broke a ring(s) or you have bigger issues! Depending on which engine is actually installed, it may be an easy fix or not! Yanmar and Kubota, not that big a deal, New Holland, or Ikiski and you will have issues!
Any sign of coolent in the oil? Or it is kicking out a lot of soot?

As far as parts go, Diesel Cast West is going to be a huge help, especially with machine work your going to likely need! They can also source the parts, but your going to still need someone to do the work!

Nope.....it's never ever been run without the air cleaner. It's a '95 Ford........last of the Ford's before the New Hollands. It is as Provincial stated a Shibaura J843 1.3L diesel. It was running perfectly before the water line "incident" and it actually still runs perfectly other than the blow-by. I'm afraid to run it very much though because something is obviously wrong with it. No coolant in the oil, no water loss, starts and runs "clean" ........ lots of blow-by. I think I have sourced the parts from "Burrows Tractor".

IMG_3264.jpg

Most of the chain auto parts stores now carry rental or loaner tools. You can likely get the compression tester you need to diagnosis from them for free as a loaner or a small rental fee. You may also be able to locate a forum member with the needed tools for diagnosis who is local and willing to lend a hand.

Most of the chain auto parts stores now carry rental or loaner tools. You can likely get the compression tester you need to diagnosis from them for free as a loaner or a small rental fee. You may also be able to locate a forum member with the needed tools for diagnosis who is local and willing to lend a hand.
Only problem with a compression tester is this is a Diesel engine, not an easy test, and the gauge is Ultra Expensive and the engine it's self might be very difficult to test! It's not as easy as removing a spark plug and cranking it over! Yes, it likely can be tested, but it's complex and requires an expensive tool very few shops would have on hand!

Never done a compression test on a diesel but would expect it is similar to a gas motor. Just in this case you are removing the injectors or glow plugs and would need a compression tester with appropriate adapters and capable of handling/reading the compression of a diesel engine. Only gets ok reviews but for $30 you can pick up a diesel compression tester from Harbor Freight: Diesel Engine Compression Tester 20 Pc. Should get the job done but I wouldn't make a living with it.

I have a guy lined up that I found online, but you all know that they don't always follow thru...........I'll know more hopefully by the end of the day.

I'm pretty sure that I do Mike. After talking to the mechanic yesterday and doing the compression test I think as long as I can get the parts it should pretty straightforward. It will probably be a few days until I can get started.

I'm pretty sure that I do Mike. After talking to the mechanic yesterday and doing the compression test I think as long as I can get the parts it should pretty straightforward. It will probably be a few days until I can get started.

Has to be easier than head gasket on some new CAR! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads