JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always carry a copy of both the TSA regs and your airline regs. Most of the time they will be the same, but sometimes the airlines alter them a bit..

I keep a copy in my carry on bag as well as a full set in the baggage next to/on top of the gun case.

Seriously, you get what you give. Be nice, don't be a dick, realize that threy are going thru more hassle than you. It all works out fine, almost all of the time.

Great advice! Behaviour is key, if you already look like you're going to be a dick, there's a fat chance you'll be treated like one. I don't like the TSA part of flying, but so far I guess I have something of a "disarming" attitude. I'm friendly and work towards what they want as well: To get through the day without too much hassle. Not all TSA people are pleasant to deal with, but being the "better man" in terms of behaving gentlemanly helps. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

But of course, if you feel your rights are (about to be) infringed, request supervision and show and explain the regulations. Gentlemanly of course, no need for condescension.

What's also important is being in time. No more fun for someone having a boring day and feeling like a powertrip than having you anxiously inspect your watch every minute with the body language associated with missing a flight while they're getting a fresh coffee and are "running some checks". Sometimes "just because we can" is reason enough for people to treat you badly. Can't always prevent it, but being in time allows for some being dicked around.

Thanks again to everybody for all the advice! A quick update on my experience:

I flew Virgin Airlines and had ZERO issues, which was refreshing. I had my copies of the TSA and Virgin's regs printed out and ready to present, but the attendant at the check-in counter was very professional and didn't bat an eye which I declared I'd be checking a firearm. She picked up the phone, called for a TSA inspector, and then personally walked me over to a place for the TSA inspector to do his thing.

He asked me to open my luggage, and I unlocked the hard case (GunVault with combination lock) stored inside with my a security cable threaded through the spine of my roller luggage. I showed that both the pistol and the mag were unloaded. He took a quick look, thanked me, and I re-packed everything up. I also secured the outside of my luggage with a TSA-approved lock. I signed a special tag, they slapped a couple of stickers, and *bam*... all done.

All together, it was probably no more than an extra 10-15 minutes to my check-in. HURRAY!

I'll definitely be flying Virgin Airlines again in the future if I know I'll be packing my gun.

th_617927622_PA130457_122_127lo.JPG th_617940957_PA130458_122_367lo.JPG th_617957724_PA130459_122_579lo.JPG

I have flown one time since the TSA came into existance...no more...I'm retired, I'll just drive, a few extra days means nothing...I just won't put up with that garbage, I'm old enough to remember flying armed.

^^Yep.

The only thing on the outside of my checked bag was the sticker "SECURITY CLEARED TSA/SFO"... nothing to indicate a weapon inside, and I was allowed to lock my bag shut right there. The signed firearm declaration tag was put INSIDE my suitcase with my locked hard case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top