JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where there are steep grade rocks going into a deep hole, toss a pheasant tail or whatever wet is active about 2-3 feet from waters edge. I've hit some big fish like that. Here's a report for 8-2 from Deschutesangler.com...

Trout fishing continues to be strong particularly above the White River with piles of caddis and aquatic moths. If you want to chase them on dries you need to get up early and plan on fishing late. The middle of the day continues to be tough even when nymph fishing so take a break and save your energy for the evening. In the morning fish small caddis in size 18 and 20's targeting the heavy foam line along the bank. The X2 caddis and Rocky Road caddis have been the two standout flies. In the evening you can fish larger flies in sizes 14 and 16 with small trailing emergers off the back. If fish are rising all around and ignoring your offering, switch up to an olive Spotlight caddis emerger and take care of business.

Good luck!

I've done well from Harpham flats downstream on Caddis and Case Caddis nymphs size 14 to 18 depending on what's hatching. If you want to fish dries, concentrate on lighter colored caddis patterns in the same sizes.

Many times I would fish a two fly rig with a big heavy lead core stone fly nymph as a dropper and about a 2 ft leader with a caddis, case caddis, or pheasant tail nymph as the trailer. They would usually hit the smaller trailer nymph.

Keep in mind that 90% of a trout's diet are nymphs. If you do want to fish dries, don't even bother until you see fish hitting the surface and if you do see them hitting the surface, watch the way they are hitting. If you just see a swirl on the surface, but don't hear a "plop" sound or the white of their mouth, they are probably hitting emergers and haven't keyed in on the adult dry patterns yet.

Also for fishing dries, this time of year the river can get VERY windy, especially in the afternoon. I use a 6 wt. rod with a pretty fast action because sometimes you really have to punch a cast into the wind. I've been blown out in the afternoon several times on the Deschutes around Maupin.

Good luck!

I've been fishing the Deschutes (Lock gate down to Mack's Canyon) for 16 yrs and have seen a steady decline in fish. There are fish there but much fewer than there were just 6-10 yrs ago.

I was fishing over there with my fishing buddy just last month and for the first time in those 16 yrs we were both stumped - ZERO, not even a bump.

In the past I've been very sucessful working just above Mack's canyon (south) to approx. 1/4 miles below (north). If you can get out to the small islands just off shore you can work both sides.

Good luck,

Might want to think about bringing something for protection. We just were there a couple weeks ago, fishing was so so, but the mood sorta sucked. We found out about this 2 weeks before our trip.

<broken link removed>

The lower 10 miles has really been producing for us the last few days. You should have a bunch of fish up that way over the next couple weeks. I don't know that upper area very well wish I could help you some more. Enjoy your trips up to the might D!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews