JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hatchery moves quickly to release trout to local fishing spots
December 29, 2014
SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife this week released more than 50,000 trout, including nearly 10,000 "pounders," into Willamette Valley fishing holes in an emergency action triggered by a gate malfunction at Leaburg Dam.
On Monday, ODFW trucked 9,300 one-pound trout and 42,000 fingerlings to six locations from Salem to Eugene after water levels needed to operate Leaburg Hatchery near Springfield became critically low.
"This is not a great time to release fish but it's the best we can do under the circumstances," said Jeff Ziller, ODFW district fish biologist in Eugene.
Leaburg Hatchery, located next to the McKenzie River 16 miles east of Springfield, is one of ODFW's primary trout producing facilities. The hatchery draws its water from Leaburg Lake, which has been dropping steadily for the past week as the result of flood gate malfunctions at Leaburg Dam. The dam is owned and operated by the Eugene Water & Electric Board, which is spilling more water than usual from the reservoir into the McKenzie River until the floodgates can be repaired.
The hatchery will be able to pull some water out of the McKenzie River below the dam using portable diesel pumps.
"We're expecting to run out of water from Leaburg Lake any time," said Erik Withalm, Leaburg Hatchery manager.
Because of public safety concerns and the ongoing hatchery emergency, Leaburg Hatchery will be closed to public access until further notice.
For some anglers, the emergency release is a mid-winter bonanza because one-pound rainbow were stocked in Cottage Grove Reservoir, Dorena Reservoir, Hills Creek Reservoir, Junction City Pond, Walter Wirth Lake, and Walling Pond.
"The quality of these fish is excellent," Ziller said. "We hate to release so many large trout all at once like this but the silver lining is this will make for some excellent fishing in the near term."
An additional 42,000 fingerlings were released at Cottage Grove Reservoir, Dorena Reservoir and Detroit Reservoir. Many of these fish are too small for anglers to keep, however more than 25 percent of the fish are greater than eight inches – the minimum length that anglers can keep. Ziller believes that while there may be some mortality associated with the winter release of smaller fish, the majority of them will survive to become catchable trout.

I wish they would put a bunch of those in Siltcoos Lake like they used to! There used to be some crazy fine hold over trout in there. I wish I lived closer, the hot spring bass lure at Cottage Grove and Dorena is going to be a trout imitation I'm guessing.

Well this kind of puts the kibosh on a successful transfer of these smolts any time soon. Note that the driver is being investigated for alcohol use. So our tax dollars are paying for a drunk azz state employee to drive a commercial vehicle and wreck out on a corner, where about 10 car and trucks wreck out each year. So glad this moron valued his job enough to drive drunk and nobody could figure this out at the hatchery ??? You have a great state government PERS job in the natural resources field and this is what you do ?? His bosses need ran up the flag pole too...

This just flat pisses me off...

Fish_Truck_Spill_1.JPG

Fish_Truck_Spill_2.JPG

"Oregon State Police troopers are continuing the investigation into Tuesday Afternoon's crash on highway 126E near milepost 11, in Cedar Flat; just east of Springfield.

Preliminary investigation indicates that at approximately 2:50 p.m., a westbound Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) fish delivery tanker driving on highway 126E was loaded with 11,000 Chinook salmon smolts and water and headed to the Row River near Cottage Grove where they were to be released. The fish were being transferred as a result of low water concerns at McKenzie Hatchery caused by floodgate malfunctions at Leaburg Dam, which provides water to the hatchery.

As the driver, identified as RAY C. LEWIS, 45, of Umpqua Oregon, was negotiating a curve the vehicle went off the roadway and crashed into a power pole and some trees. The truck overturned and spilled its contents at the roadside. All of the fish being transported died as a result of the crash.

LEWIS suffered facial and scalp lacerations and was transported to the hospital for treatment of other unknown injuries. Alcohol is being investigated as a contributing factor in this incident and additional investigation is pending. OSP is being assisted by the Lane County District Attorney's Office (LCDA).

Further inquiries regarding the fish transfer should be directed to Rick Swart, Public Information Officer for ODFW, at 971-673-6038 or [email protected].

OSP was assisted at the scene by the Oregon Department of Transportation, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and McKenzie Fire and Rescue."

The only upside of this whole debacle is that it was the last load of smolts to be transferred.
The state police should check into which tavern the driver had lunch that afternoon.

Chinook smolts to the Row River?? Hmm, that would have possibly been a nice return for the Willamette in a few years maybe.

Good lord! The news said the sot had a 0.29 BAC!

I have been around those loading operations at hatchery's before, and at least 3 people are involved in the process.

I had 3 commercial trucks of my own, and was operations manager at companies where I had up to 15 trucks rolling out each day. I managed to get up close to each driver each morning, and at the end of the day. Over the years, I had 1 that smelled of alcohol in the am, I sent him for tests and then fired his a**. I had another I caught drinking on the job, and hauled his as@ in for a test and got rid of him too.

Nothing beats getting up on the step and sticking your head right by the window to make sure.

.29 is really hosed...had to be noticeably impaired. But there are a lot of functioning alcoholics who can carry on with a pretty good load on. I see them every week.

Effects At Specific B.A.C. Levels..........:s0079::s0079::s0079::s0079:

The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

0.16-0.19 BAC: Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

0.30 BAC: STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.

0.35 BAC: Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia.

0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, and possible death due to
respiratory arrest.

""0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)""

Hell, I can get here^^ eating a good burger and fries!

Happy New Year everyone! I haven't been up past midnight for years.....Nor have I slept 'til 8:00 AM in years.
Ham 'N Eggs sounds good.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top