JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been shopping around for a Ruger GP100 for some time. My purpose for this gun is a combination of: range use, nightstand and occasional backpacking/camp weapon.

Frustrated by the lack of local GP100 inventory, a friend suggested I look into the previous model line of Ruger Security/Service/Speed Sixes.

So I've come across a tempting deal on a 3" security six. I understand it's a slightly lighter weapon, a bit easier to holster/conceal than a GP100 and may even be a good investment given it's no longer in production.

Trouble is, I've never held a "six", let alone fired it. If it's similar in style/feel as a GP100 I think I'll be content.

Any pros/cons or risks of a 1980s Ruger Security Six for a "first" revolver?
Thanks

I have both, and like both. The 2 5/8 " security six is way easier to carry, but both are good shooters. Also have a Ruger sp101, 2" snubbie with bobbed hammer which is an ideal carry revolver. Can't go wrong with any of these three IMO.

I had a security six a few years back very nice shooting gun and never a problem with it. Like MikeE, I also own a Sp-101 snub bobbed, and have carried it off and on for at least 15 yrs. Love that little gun, along with my old super blackhawk .44 mag...But back to your question about the security six as a first revolver...go for it. :s0155:

On the security six, forgot to mention: I changed my grip from the factory/walnut grip to a Pachmeyer. Much easier to shoot magnums, for me at least

What I do not want is DAO (double action only). Not as fun at range I'd figure, but I get how they'd help in a CCW role. Seen many SP101's with bobbed hammers that are DAO.

I just did some looking and found that the GP 100's are SA/DA but I'm not sure about the Six Series.

Be careful with "six" series, as that might include the "single six", which is a .22 "cowboy" style SA revolver.

I think you are referring to everything <broken link removed> . The last paragraph begins:

"Ruger Security / Service / Speed Six revolvers are double-action guns with exposed hammers and swing-out cylinders. "

Be careful with "six" series, as that might include the "single six", which is a .22 "cowboy" style SA revolver.

I think you are referring to everything <broken link removed> . The last paragraph begins:

"Ruger Security / Service / Speed Six revolvers are double-action guns with exposed hammers and swing-out cylinders. "
They will say "single six" designating single action. They come in .22, .22 magnum, .17, and 32 H&R magnum. Good guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top