JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Public hearing on HB 3261 is scheduled for March 26th. This is the bill that gives a tax break for purchasing a gun safe. Personally, I'm just not sure about the purpose behind this one. Can't help but think that there is some background agenda to justify new laws for storage of firearms, with the state saying that they even help you pay for one. Could be that this bill somehow adds strength to the firearms responsibility bills that make you responsible for any actions taken with your stolen gun?

I think it's just part of the standard reward/punish tactic that lawmakers use to coerce us on a variety of things.
Reward = tax break for "good" behavior
Punish = tax increase or required insurance for "bad" behavior

As long as it doesn't contain a "must have" rider of some kind, I like it.
I'd much rather have a government that incentive-ises doing the smart thing, as opposed to one that punishes people for exercising their constitutional rights.
After all, it's kinda hard to "bear" your arms if the dotgov insists they stay locked up.

They not only want to know who has a firearm but where it is at all times. I personally don't like safes that are in my budget. They can be broke into easily and bad guys know where the good stuff is. If they can't get into it they can torture you etc. to get into it. Trigger locks, disasssembly, good hiding spots and tight lips as to what I've got work for me!

Proposed by Shemia Fagan, a Portland Representative with roots and family in rural Oregon (Dufur I think). Known as a pro-gun Democrat, is a member of the Gun Owners Caucus along with well-known pro-2A Democrats like Rep. Jeff Barker and Sen. Betsy Johnson.

I'm in favor of the concept, I'll be watching if/how it changes as it moves through committee. Lowering taxes on gun owners is a good thing :)

What about a break for those of us who already have a gun safe, or two? I despise this type of governmental intrusion. Those who are going to be responsible will, those with the money to buy a gun safe will. This prices out those who live paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford a "Real" gun safe! Bad Law!

How is this bill (3261) to be enforced??

I can forsee police search of of gun owners,OSP has the records.

Would that be unreasonable search and possible seizures//

How is this bill (3261) to be enforced??

I can forsee police search of of gun owners,OSP has the records.

Would that be unreasonable search and possible seizures//

There's nothing to enforce. There are no storage requirements in the bill as-written. If you buy a gun safe and want the tax credit you file it with your taxes. If you don't want the tax credit you don't file it and no one's the wiser.

The bill does seam incomplete. What is a "Safe"? does it include trigger locks, or other types of locks? Will a receipt be needed to be included with taxes? Will there be a list of approved/unapproved items?

I think this is in the right direction. And if the gun-grabbers whine it gives us lots of ammo to say:
"but this will help deter kid accidents, stolen firearms, and suicides."
"Why don't you want to encourage responsibility and firearm safety? Why do you want kids to die?"
"This will enable the lower-income people access to safety devices that until now, only the rich could afford"

There is no sales tax in OR only income tax.

Correct, and in WA we don't pay state income tax. We are both taxed just in different ways, so what is the point?

Still does not explain how taxpayers are subsidizing this program. It is a break on the amount of tax you owe (be it sales, use, income, other), it is not money being paid out by tax payers...........

Still does not explain how taxpayers are subsidizing this program. It is a break on the amount of tax you owe (be it sales, use, income, other), it is not money being paid out by tax payers...........

Seriously? If you're not paying all of your taxes because you're a special interest group, then who do you think wil need to come up with the money you didn't pay into the system? Not that it's the way it allways works, but the concept of a tax break is that it benefits the whole. Examples are a manufacturer that will provide jobs, and thus payroll taxes and other benefits to the community and state. Taxes for energy efficiency supposedly benefit everyone by reducing the overall energy footprint.

Not that we don't take tax breaks, just need to recognize them for what they are.

I'll admit to the possibility of being a little paranoid on this one. With bills out there that make liability insurance mandatory, and owner responsibility for your firearm, after it's stolen, it just makes me a little uneasy about this. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and that the supporters really want to be good to gun owners. But I've also been told that some law makers are devious and have hidden agendas.

Seriously? If you're not paying all of your taxes because you're a special interest group, then who do you think wil need to come up with the money you didn't pay into the system? Not that it's the way it allways works, but the concept of a tax break is that it benefits the whole. Examples are a manufacturer that will provide jobs, and thus payroll taxes and other benefits to the community and state. Taxes for energy efficiency supposedly benefit everyone by reducing the overall energy footprint.

Not that we don't take tax breaks, just need to recognize them for what they are.

So what you are saying is you pay 100% of ALL your taxes ALL the time and take NO exemptions? You don't write off business expenses? How about major home improvements? Donations? You do "who do you think wil need to come up with the money you didn't pay into the system"?

In theory this could increase safe sales for people that are on the fence about it. This could mean more revenue for the companies that make, wholesale, ship, resale, deliver these. I doubt this would be a big enough change to make any big difference but still.

I'm not saying to not take exemptions. Just saying that tax breaks for special interests are made up by the rest of the taxpayers. Like I said in my earlier post, just recognize them for what they are, subsidies for special interest groups.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top