First Aid or Tac Med classes

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by cowboykid8, Mar 1, 2018.

1. cowboykid8

cowboykid8
    Aloha, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Looking for any reviews for First Aid or Tac Med classes, trainers or companies. Specifically looking for hands on training of tourniquets, bullet wounds, knife wounds, puncture wounds, patient stabilization, and probably more information that i don't even know about.

I haven't found any trainer's calendars that have anything in the future, I would be looking for one in April or May.

I would love other suggestions, or any good reviews of classes. Feel free to PM me any negative experiences, I'm not looking to put any one on blast.

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  2. easy-e

easy-e
    Burien, WA

On March 10th, Firearms Academy of Seattle is having Frank DeYoung back for his "Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds and Related Trauma" class. Frank recently moved to Wyoming and has been a staff firearms instructor at FAS for many years in addition to being a paramedic.

I've taken the class twice as Frank is one of my favorite instructors on and off the range. It's really a great class and I'm not sure when he's going to come back to teach it again.

Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds and Related Trauma

cowboykid8 likes this.
  3. medicmike63

medicmike63
    Florence, Oregon

The only one that I am personally familiar with is PreHospital Trauma Life Support, PHTLS Courses Not sure what your current experience or cert level is. It would likely cover some of the training you are looking for and you should be able to find a class locally.

cowboykid8 likes this.
  4. OldTengu

OldTengu
    East Multnomah county

I can tell you that if you get stabbed in the gut like i did (fell on a 3-4 inch long, maybe 2 inch wide and very sharp rock while skateboarding many years ago) don't pour your dad's jack daniels in the wound, and try not to pack it with tea bags. If you must use tea bags, don't use any sort of citrus spiced tea. And do go to a hospital lol

cowboykid8 and medicmike63 like this.
  5. cowboykid8

cowboykid8
    Aloha, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Thanks easy-e, soon too.

This looks like you would need to already need to be an EMT? Or have a certification? My experience is probably not passible on youtube.

6. that guy

that guy
    PDX
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

NOLS wilderness first aid is a good start

Taco_lean and slimer13 like this.
  7. medicmike63

medicmike63
    Florence, Oregon

EMT or better is recommended and may be required by the individual instructor but looking at the info on the national website, I don't believe it is required.

8. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

Some hospitals have a class called STOP THE BLEEDING they cover all different types of wounds

9. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

I just found out about it on March 10 when I went to a CPR first aid class they are having one up here if I can I'm going to try and go

cowboykid8 likes this.
  10. spookshack

spookshack
    Forest Grove, OR
    Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

540 tactical solutions. I didn't see anything coming up on their schedule, but James
    could tell you about future classes. He is active on Facebook as well as the private FB pages of Tri County Gun Club and Douglas Ridge Rifle Club...

cowboykid8 likes this.
  11. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe
    Lower Yakima Valley
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

March 31st is National Stop the Bleed Day. Lots of places are giving free or cheap 1-2 hour classes. Go to BleedingControl.org to find classes.

cowboykid8, EPS and spookshack like this.
  12. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

That's the one