JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally bit the bullet on getting into suppressors last year and I'm considering a few options for a good bolt action squirrel sniper to act as a suppressor host. I've been looking at the ruger american rimfires, howa, cz 457, as well as the savage offerings, but i'm not sure whether the b22 or mark 2 would be a better choice. Has anyone had experience with any of these? Any advice is welcome.

I have a Lakefield Mk2 in .22 ( The forunner if the Savage ) and have had a Savage in .17hmr.
For the price point they are decent guns with available cheap mags and some after market support. Not the greatest, but not the worst. Both were/are more accurate than I am. CS Specs makes very nice 10 and 15 round mags fir the .22 guns.
I have played with a few CZs, definate upgrade from the Savages, VERY nice guns.
If you want to play with/accessorize, Savage...if you want "buy once, cry once", CZ.

Anschutz :s0023:

PXL_20221229_015151947.jpg

But the CZ makes a solid rifle.

Last Edited:
Bergara, CZ and Tikka would be great starter rifles in 22lr.
100% agree with this statement and own examples of all three. Toss up between the Tikka and CZ457 as my top choice out of that group but probably the CZ due to the larger aftermarket and a preference to their magazines. Bergara is a great option also.

Many good choices, fewer easy choices. The easiest choice would be the Ruger American. Superb shooter, inexpensive, easily available, as well as the magazines.

I have had rugers and savage rifles, rugers had a better finish and better mags but the savage out shot them.
Now I have a Tikka T1X and it is a better all round rifle, great trigger and shoots as good as my Kidd 10/22.

WOW I would go with a Savage MKII FVT comes with a great set of Williams target sights as well as being able to mount any scope. On the bench at 50 yards with Blazer grade ammo it shoots dime sized groups. With higher grade target ammo its better then I am.

When it comes to a bolt-action squirrel sniper, you've got some solid options like Ruger American Rimfires, Howa, CZ 457, and Savage rifles. Between the Ruger B22 and Mark 2, it's a tough call

If I had to pick one, I'd say go for the CZ 457. These bad boys are known for their top-notch craftsmanship and crazy accuracy. The triggers on these babies are sweet, and the stocks are designed to make you feel like a sniper ninja. Plus, the CZ 457 series gives you plenty of options to choose from,

Huh. In my 57 years of gun buying, I don't think I've ever bought a new .22 rifle. A good one will last more than one human lifetime. At present, I've got three:

Remington Model 341P, bolt action, tube magazine, made 1936
Ruger Model 77-22, bolt action, little rotary magazine, made 1983
Marlin Model 56 Levermatic, detachable box magazine, made 1955

A couple of others I've owned and liked:

Remington Nylon 66
Marlin Model 60

Waitaminnit, I did buy one new .22, it was a Ruger 10-22 but I didn't fancy it and it went away quickly. They are a good enough gun, just not what I liked.

I did wear out one .22 I had, a Stevens Model 53 I think it was, single shot. Made in 1934. I bought it in 1965 for $5, sold it in 2016 for $30.

I finally bit the bullet on getting into suppressors last year and I'm considering a few options for a good bolt action squirrel sniper to act as a suppressor host. I've been looking at the ruger american rimfires, howa, cz 457, as well as the savage offerings, but i'm not sure whether the b22 or mark 2 would be a better choice. Has anyone had experience with any of these? Any advice is welcome.
Of the rifles you listed, the two guns with the most favourable reviews are the CZ457 and the Savage Mk.II.
Also, don't overlook anything from Browning. All their guns are high quality pieces.
If your tastes lean more towards vintage firearms, I grew up shooting my dad's Mossberg 142-A.
I could pop the center out of a butter dish lid at 50 yards with that gun.

I bought a Bergara 18" 22 barreled action. I forget the model but they are rem 700 foot print. Put it in a KRG Bravo to be somewhat close in ergos to my precision rifle in a KRG Whiskey 3 with a roughly similar scope. I could not be happier with it as a training rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top