JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bear with me now. The spousal unit and I are renovating a new to us home up in our area. Its coming together really nice. We have been talking a lot about our firearm security up here in the Big City. It is time to bring our hardware north. [except all those lost in the unfortunate boating accidents] Honestly, I have never warmed to the idea of a big honking safe on the premises. It just screams GUNS/PRECIOUS METALS/etc. My idea is to purchase some nice furniture pieces that double as firearm hideouts. We have used this approach for a while now. Its been really handy. "Everything" is readily available and secured out of sight in normal pieces of furniture. Even if one was to do a hasty search [think quick burglary] nothing would appear out of the ordinary. Here's an example. A blanket chest filled with lots of blankets concealing long arms. You get the picture. I'm wondering if anyone on our forum might have "experience" with this type of concealment. Does anyone have a favorite style or manufacturer they would be willing to share about. Yeah, I can do my Google research but I would much prefer hearing from any of our members about their experiences good/bad with this storage method. We need to buy furniture anyhow now. Might as well be looking for dual purpose furnishings. Thanks for sharing your collective wisdom. Pops

Do both. Get a safe and then find a place/way to conceal the safe. Some thieves are pretty adept at finding things. Imagine if one of those thieves hits your place...except you walk in on them...and get shot with your own gun. That's gotta suck. And that type of furnitures offers zero protection against fire.

Do both. Get a safe and then find a place/way to conceal the safe. Some thieves are pretty adept at finding things. Imagine if one of those thieves hits your place...except you walk in on them...and get shot with your own gun. That's gotta suck. And that type of furnitures offers zero protection against fire.
:s0101: Obscurity is not the same as security. You are supposed to be smarter than the squirrels. Hiding the safe is a great idea.

We have a false top coffee table that extends to become a couch table and contains an internal shelf that's accessed by lifting the top. There's nothing new about them now, but mine holds a .38 special. It's more of an "out of sight out of mind" set up that would get found pretty quick if someone recognized it.
I do though have a few cheap bait rifles such as old .22's and an old shot gun that are cable locked in a wall gun rack in the hope that if someone did get in they would think, got em, and leave.
The safe is bolted down hard to the superstructure of the floor joices and would be a hard nut to crack, there's quite a bit of ammo and firearms in it, but that's not where the good stuffs at:rolleyes:

Its simple for me all my stuff is in the safe unless on my person or on my night stand during the night. Just don't trust the furniture to be secure.

My luck would be that I would get the one smart damn crook and he would clean me out :mad:

As for my safe good luck!! Its a liberty fat boy bolted to concrete and the wall;):D

Good thoughts all. In our new house there is uummm, a secret place, yeah, a secret place. It looks like it was built especially for concealment of valuables. Its not a safe but an architectural, clever really, add on. The casual observer would never spot it. Heck, I was looking all over the place before we bought it and quite by accident discovered this small addition after searching around for over an hour. Wow, thought I. This looks like a great place to store "valuables". It is camouflaged but it is there secure in its obscurity. Any hoo it is a place to start storage in the new digs. I appreciate all the feedback. Keep 'em coming ya'll. Makes this old brain stretch a bit. LOL Don't get me wrong as there is nothing negative against safes in my mind. Just don't want to marry up with one right now, that's all. Kinda like a lesson from SERE training. If "they" can't see you "they" can't shoot you. C'nest pas?

+1

A good safe for about $2K and then hidden behind a false wall or a hidden room (itself maybe having a security door) is better than hiding something under a blanket.

Good thoughts all. In our new house there is uummm, a secret place, yeah, a secret place. It looks like it was built especially for concealment of valuables. Its not a safe but an architectural, clever really, add on. The casual observer would never spot it. Heck, I was looking all over the place before we bought it and quite by accident discovered this small addition after searching around for over an hour. Wow, thought I. This looks like a great place to store "valuables". It is camouflaged but it is there secure in its obscurity. Any hoo it is a place to start storage in the new digs. I appreciate all the feedback. Keep 'em coming ya'll. Makes this old brain stretch a bit. LOL Don't get me wrong as there is nothing negative against safes in my mind. Just don't want to marry up with one right now, that's all. Kinda like a lesson from SERE training. If "they" can't see you "they" can't shoot you. C'nest pas?

You've kinda described something I may or may not have built:rolleyes:

Imagine a wall with adjoining 2x6's vertically. Drill diagonally down between the two using a three quarter inch bit until your bit penetrates the second 2x6 by 1/2".
Change bits and continue to drill through using a a 1/2" bit.
Now drop a 3/4" diameter ball bearing down into the hole, you've now created a lock point where bearing bisects the 2x6's!
To disengage the bearing simply insert a pen or pencil into the lower half inch hole, push up the bearing and bingo, unlocked.
Add hinges, shelfs, paint and some books, tools whatever and you've now created a hidden access into a false wall and perhaps an unnoticeable 4' deep 12' wide spot and one nice hidden room.
If I were to build it, it may or may not be something like this:D

d97ab052711cddeb7439d90ae9f32721.jpg 252b6ee033ce7e652660619a8166c60f.jpg
Throne%20of%20Weapons%20decommissioned%20guns.jpg war-shot-gun-chair_sishc_48.jpg

Don't overthink it. Hide them in plain sight! :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads