JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's face it, I'm old school. And while "all those new polymer guns" are super functional, they tend to leave me a bit cold. I've liked metal and wood for more than a few decades.

So, for better or worse, I just bought an old FEG P9R for not too much. From my limited understanding, the P9R is a Hungarian knock-off of the Hi Power - it looks like one anyway. Beyond that, I don't know much else about it.

I'll certainly want a qualified smith to look it over and give it a clean bill of health before it goes into rotation as a shooter, so recommendations would be good. Washington County preferable, thanks in advance.

Additionally, I want to learn everything I can about the pistol/parts/mods/mags/history, etc. Let's weigh in here guys!

Congratulations, the FEG is a pretty good pistol. AFIK parts are interchangeable all the way around.

There was a website named "Handguns and High Powers" (or vice-versa) once upon a time although I'm not certain if it still exists. It's an outstanding resource if it's still around.

Stephen A. Camp has written extensively about the High Power and is my go-to for accurate information. He passed a few years back and is missed.

I don't know where you're at knowledge-wise on High Powers in general, but Camps' book "The Shooters Guide to the High Power" should be required reading for every H.P. owner.

Oh yeah, shoot the snot out of it, you'll love the way it feels. :cool:

BTW, Mec Gar mags work great in High Powers.

The FÉG Hi-Power Blog

I have one, a Dan Wesson finished one according to the serial number.. XS sights from the factory, yada. It's my user Hi-Power.
oh edit.. not really thinking.. I have a Charles Daly "FEG", hence the above. anyway, they are good guns

Last Edited:
Wow, nearly vertical learning curve about FEGs in the past 2 days. Here's what I learned.

The FEG P9K and P9M are indeed clones of the Browning/FN Hi Powers using the same magazines, and 80-100% parts interchangeability depending on what year. Sadly, the FEG P9R I secured with a really low winning bid only looks like a Hi Power, and is more of a S&W 59 clone, complete with DA trigger and decocker/safety lever. And Hi Power magazines don't fit it. The magazines that do fit the P9R are very rare/out of stock, and mostly only 10 rounds, though some are 14.

Figured I might still want it if the seller had some mags, but no dice. Bottom line, he won't hold my feet to the fire on this deal and is looking to find me a proper Hi Power or compatible FEG P9K/P9M knockoff instead.

My only criteria for whatever I get is that it's a daily shooter. No need for a pristine safe queen.

I have an FEG FP9. It's been a good shooter and the mec gar mags function fine. They don't drop free butare good otherwise. Hogue makes a great grip for them, I like it much better than the factory ones anyway.
The one sure fire way to tell if it's a true HP clone or a S&W remake it the oval on the right side. The S&W versions don't have it, the HP's do. You can see it in my third pic. Mine can bite you if your not careful with the grip but I think that's a feature of the HP's. Good luck in your search! They are good guns.
766C51DA-2803-4652-AA1A-52F1F8BEF44C.jpeg
D2A264C9-9C86-4AA8-BBFC-BAC3A99CCF69.jpeg
01CFE252-44BA-487E-B606-C8BB90E05CF6.jpeg

I have an FEG FP9. It's been a good shooter and the mec gar mags function fine. They don't drop free butare good otherwise. Hogue makes a great grip for them, I like it much better than the factory ones anyway.
The one sure fire way to tell if it's a true HP clone or a S&W remake it the oval on the right side. The S&W versions don't have it, the HP's do. You can see it in my third pic. Mine can bite you if your not careful with the grip but I think that's a feature of the HP's. Good luck in your search! They are good guns.
View attachment 418479
View attachment 418480
View attachment 418481
You probably know but a surefire way to get your magazines to drop (amongst other things, like a better trigger pull), is to remove the magazine safety. In your third pic you can see that yours still has it because of that staked trigger pin.
Removing it is tricky though not technically difficult.. and after removal you don't even have to put the pin back but it might keep a tiny little crooked stick out of there, preventing the trigger's full range of travel.

368165-4492664e563438585fc60142b1b06f97.jpg

View attachment 418479
View attachment 418480
View attachment 418481

That's a beauty B5!

The thing I should've noticed when I bid on that P9R (which, it turns out, is a S&W clone, not a Hi Power clone) is now so obvious to me that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Take a look at the safety lever on this P9R compared to your FEG (and every other Hi Power/clone on earth).

The P9R S&W style decocker/safety lever comes with double-action innards!

Truth be known, I like that, a lot, and my EDC (revolver or semi) will always be DA first shot with a heavy (12lb-ish pull). So DA is not the deal killer. It's the scarcity of 14rd mags for the P9R! Of all the "clones" I could've leapt at, I picked the one that's not compatible with any of the Hi Power type pistols.

Still working with the seller, who hopes to find me a decent FEG clone or legit Belgian-made HP, for which I am willing to cough up legit cash (like for a clean Series T). We've agreed that if he doesn't trip over one soon that I can just pay his "re-listing fee" to Gunbroker and call it good, preserving my good standing there.

He was sorry about the $10 fee, but I told him this is probably the cheapest lesson I've ever learned - anywhere! More than happy to pay it if we don't work out a different deal soon.

P9R S&W clone.jpg

Yea, those are red-headed stepchiles. It woulda sucked had you actually got it only to find out that it's a totally different gun type.
Keep your eyes peeled for a Charles Daly HP too.. essentially a FEG/exact "copy" of the HP.. or an Israeli surplus type gun for that matter.

Yea, those are red-headed stepchiles. It woulda sucked had you actually got it only to find out that it's a totally different gun type.
Keep your eyes peeled for a Charles Daly HP too.. essentially a FEG/exact "copy" of the HP.. or an Israeli surplus type gun for that matter.

Truth be known, I like metal DA/SA semi-autos a LOT, so a P9R remains very appealing and may end up in my modest inventory somewhere down the road. I just need to identify a good source of compatible, reliable mags before I pull the trigger (so to speak).

Meanwhile, I picked up a really clean P9M that uses standard BHP (and Mec Gar) mags.

I also just got this 70-page primer that is regarded as the de facto FEG bible on the HP/clone forums I visited online. It'll give me something to power through during a 4-hour flight to Austin this weekend. In fact, it might be kinda fun (for a change) if I end up sitting next to some skinny jeans liberal who wants to talk.

Decoding the FEG.jpg

Last Edited:
I've been looking for a Charles Daly HP for a while...with no luck.

I've been looking for a Charles Daly HP for a while...with no luck.
You see them occasionally. For years I had wanted another back-up banger Hi-Power.. for the bangin' and was at the old Gun Broker about ready to plonk down some $ on some new fangled type gun when I spied my wonderful score (for me) on the wall for a super price. tis a keeper and I think the single, left side safety profile on those guns are about ideal.
net grab..

5744599_02_charles_daly_hi_power_9mm_640.jpg

I like the adjustable sights on the CD version. My FEG has the plain notch rear and is not exactly what I'd want but it works.

I like the adjustable sights on the CD version. My FEG has the plain notch rear and is not exactly what I'd want but it works.
They have good sights.. I think all the Dan Wesson ones have XS sights.. front removable/driftable, same with the rear.
And speaking of which, the only part not an exact match to a "real" Hi-Power is because of that rear sight.. the firing pin retaining plate would need some metal (no big deal) removed to fit properly on a CDDWHP

Need help with FEG P9R. Want to sell it, but would like to pass on some history to the buyer. Have been searching for two days trying to find date of manufacture, but I cannot find any help. Anyone know of a reliable resource for FEG s/n?

Your picture is exactly what mine looks like. Thanx for the link. I have visited it before and others, but nothing I've found shows a manufacture date based on s/n.