Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Federal 308 ammunition questions

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Dipstick, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Dipstick

Dipstick Turner, Oregon Active Member

I have 10 boxes of Federal Premium Gold Medal 308 that a friend gave me. The boxes each have a label on them that says XM308MR 308 Win 168 Grain BTHP RCMP. I could not find any reference to this online. Any idea as to what the sticker means? Thanks for the help.

2. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Boat tail hollow point royal canuckian mounted popos?

That'd be my eduhmacated guess.

Brutus out.

Dipstick and (deleted member) like this.
  3. poodoodoot

poodoodoot Vancouver, WA New Member

From what I've seen on google it appears to be "reject" or "left over" rounds from ammunition production.

Interestingly enough I think Brutus is right:

BTHP RCMP = Boat Tail Hollow Point Royal Canadian Mounted Police

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

From what I read the rejected or leftovers had a similar designation but not the same. Here is a crazy idea, why don't you call Federal tomorrow and ask them? :D

5. poodoodoot

poodoodoot Vancouver, WA New Member

Or give it away to NWF members and we'll call Federal for you.

rrojohnso and (deleted member) like this.
  6. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Seriously doubt they are "rejects". If they actually are it would only be because the lot didn't meet the customer's spec's such as often happens with NATO production

From what I have seen the "XM" seems to show up on military equivalent ammo that's marketed to the public. ie: AM193 in 5.56mm

Could well be production for a Canadian police contract that was either an overrun or the customer declined to accept (perhaps in their "option" portion of the contract)

The important parts of the box are caliber, bullet weight, and Feet Per Second. The fact that you have 200 rounds of .308 factory produced ammo puts you in a better position than many.