JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting ready to reload a batch of 9mm Luger. I found some FC NT brass and it is pretty obvious the primers are crimped. But I'm wondering about other FC brass which doesn't have NT or a date code or a NATO circle/cross. Does plain FC stamped brass have a crimped primer? I don't want to spend time swaging primer pockets. Below is a picture of the brass. Sorry about the quality but it's the best I could do with a camera phone.

IMG_4550.jpg

Crimped primers "generally" indicate military contract. My only concern is that they might have been loaded to higher pressures, which shortens the life of the brass. Here is an article on the pressures of Winchester military contract 9mm loads. It is good to remember that the military does not reload and pressure damage to the cases is not a concern.

I haven't loaded thousands of 9mm, but I load single stage and inspect alot of it more than once. I've seen o lot of FC 9mm brass and never come upon a crimped FC 9mm case. Or I guess I should say never had a primer feel like the pocket was crimped.

I haven't loaded thousands of 9mm, but I load single stage and inspect alot of it more than once. I've seen o lot of FC 9mm brass and never come upon a crimped FC 9mm case. Or I guess I should say never had a primer feel like the pocket was crimped.
Yea and that blurry picture doesn't even look like it's crimped.

What was the question anyway?

NT stands for "Non-Toxic" ammo (lead-free primers). The brass can be problematic for reloading with a couple of issues. Generally not worth the hassle. The factory says not to reload, but some do. I'd scrap them.

NT stands for "Non-Toxic" ammo (lead-free primers). The brass can be problematic for reloading with a couple of issues. Generally not worth the hassle. The factory says not to reload, but some do. I'd scrap them.
I wasn't supposed to reload those?? Hmm.. Worked fine for me at least for one reload. Mine weren't crimped BTW...pretty sure. :s0100: I think I'd remember trying to swage those tint little cartridges, or chamfer them. (BTW after swaging thousands of rounds and breaking my rcbs swager I just use the case mouth deburring tool on the primer pocket, WAY quicker & easier)
Mine were loaded up with a bunch of frangible 9mm I bought probably 10 years ago. Always kinda wondered why the NT but this makes perfect sense.

NT had something in it that would corrode the brass making them hard to clean. I ran a bunch of SP NT 45 ACP brass for awhile. The staining never came completely off after multiple cleaning and reloading.
I seem to recall the NT primers were crimped because they could back out more easily when fired.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top