1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

FBI deactivates about 3,000 GPS tracking devices, loses sight of your car

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by pietro beretta, Feb 27, 2012.

1. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

Following a January ruling by the US Supreme Court, the FBI has deactivated some 3,000 GPS units that were potentially infringing on the Fourth Amendment. The decision seems to be making waves in the U.S. Justice Department. Andrew Weissmann, FBI General Counsel, says some of the devices have been difficult to retrieve, as the vehicles they were once tracking now move undetected. The FBI has sought temporary permission to reactivate some of the devices to locate and retrieve the hardware. Weissmann says the FBI is also developing new guidelines regarding the legality of its agent's actions -- from the application and use of tracking devices, to the extent a suspect's garbage can be searched before the agent is committing trespass. In short, the FBI is working really hard not to violate your legal right to privacy. If you happen to find something weird under you car, give 'em a call. They'd probably like it back.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've noticed that I don't have to wear my tinfoil hat now so maybe they did change something!
  3. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Dean, you might recheck......mirror for foil remnants