JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the pistols I reload for PowerPistol has worked out great. I only reload for 10mm and .380 ACP though. Funny how the same powder works well in both and as a result have not bothered to try many others.

.223 - Very good luck with Varget, H322 and VV133. VV133 is most accurate but expensive. Varget is my standard because all three .223s I own shoot it well regardless of bullet weight. H322 meters better but not as accurate. H335 shot well, meters great, but I don't like the mess of fine ball powders.

.270 - H4831 and H4831sc. Never had to try anything else. Great velocity, better accuracy.

.308 - Only tried Varget but it worked great, so since I have so much on hand all I ever used.

Right now, whatever's in stock :)

When I can buy what I want, I stock up on IMR 4064. It's good for 223, 308, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, etc. - pretty much everything I shoot.

Are there many places to get powders above locally? I found some on-line but say that when ordering on-line you also have to pay a hazmat fee. Seems if I have to pay for product/fee/shipping I've lost all my savings.

I know Bi-Mart has "some" powders from time to time but is there a reliable source locally?

Thanks,

Bi-Mart stocks what it stocks as far as Powders (or bullets or batteries or anything else).
I have had some luck with ordering non-stock powder thru Bi-Mart. However, if it is not available, then they won't be able to get it either so you will need to be patient with them.
Next time that you are in there, ask at the sporting goods desk about this. I would not expect each salesperson to be a resource as far as selecting the right powder for your particular situation, so you should know what you want before you get there.

Used a lot of powders over the years but have settled on the following for standard cartridges loaded for accuracy only

All pistol loads including 38-357 W231 all bullet weights

44 mag- 45 colt W/ cast bullets W231 all bullet weights

44 mag- 45 colt jacketed..mag loads W296 all bullet weights

223 and 222 rem mag...W748 up to 55 gr ( mine are 1-12 twists)

Any thing based off the 30-30 case...RL15

Anything based off the 308 case..RL15 or W760

Anything based off the 30-06 case...4831 or RL22

300 win mag....RL22

I have a lot of other powders a buddy gave me that I'm using up but these powders are the ones I start with

I did buy a keg of RL19 before the elections 'just in case' looking thru all my data this powder will work in a pinch for all my rifle cartridges I load for...

I've heard that CFE223 has a bad odor when shooting. Is this true?

Depends. Every once in a while I get a slight "whiff" that smells a little like ammonia but not always. I think it has to do with the weather/humidity, and definitely the state of my "sniffer".

Usually doesn't smell any different than the others. I really don't care about smell, just chrono readings and groups on the target. For those it does the job.

FWIW, sooner or later everyone will hear that one powder or the other smells bad. Not sure why anyone cares.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top