JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Northwest Crew,

I need some advice on getting data on a shotgun.
It's 1945 Winchester Model 12 Trap, presented to Greg "Pappy" Boyington, with a medallion of the presentation date and location in the butt stock. If liget, it's looking like it was a gift from the Okanogan community, givin to him as a special guest of honor, or parade grand Marshall, upon his return to the states.
I'd like to find out if it was a one of, or a series. It's very nice with no handling damage. The but has a raised cheek piece, like a Monty Carlo.

I've found a couple news articles from UWS microfiche files.

On September 17th Boyington arrived in Seattle and was the key note speaker at some event.
He then went to Okanogan on the 24th of September, where he was the guest of honor, and a parade was given on his behalf, Lt. Colonel Gregory "Pappy" Boyington. 18000 attended parade, the largest event to date. And more than 4 times the population of Okanogan.
I'm PRESUMING that the shotgun was given at the evening's banquet. We're in the process of trying to contact surviving relatives or event organizers for any photos, documents or recollections. Thanks for any help
R6NpOktl.jpg
wNsb86bl.jpg
X0NXaujl.jpg

Hi Northwest Crew,

It's 1945 Winchester Model 12 Trap, presented to Greg "Pappy" Boyington, with a medallion of the presentation date and location in the butt stock. If liget, it's looking like it was a gift from the Okanogan community, givin to him as a special guest of honor, or parade grand Marshall, upon his return to the states.
I'd like to find out if it was a one of, or a series. It's very nice with no handling damage. The but has a raised cheek piece, like a Monty Carlo.

On September 17th Boyington arrived in Seattle and was the key note speaker at some event.
He then went to Okanogan on the 24th of September, where he was the guest of honor, and a parade was given on his behalf, Lt. Colonel Gregory "Pappy" Boyington. 18000 attended parade, the largest event to date. And more than 4 times the population of Okanogan.
I'm PRESUMING that the shotgun was given at the evening's banquet. We're in the process of trying to contact surviving relatives or event organizers for any photos, documents or recollections. Thanks for any help

View attachment 815256
View attachment 815257
View attachment 815258

Regardless of what it is, that would be a pretty special gun for those who realize it's significance.

The gun was acquired in the '80s from an estate sale in Pocatello. No mention of Boyington was made by the seller in his 20s. We we hoping to find some one who would have had some recollection of the presentation. A photo would be out of the park. But it's been a long while, and the recent fires can't have helped. PAX

The gun was acquired in the '80s from an estate sale in Pocatello. No mention of Boyington was made by the seller in his 20s. We we hoping to find some one who would have had some recollection of the presentation. A photo would be out of the park. But it's been a long while, and the recent fires can't have helped. PAX
So no provenance? That's a shame.

So no provenance? That's a shame.

I know provenance makes all the difference for selling and authentication, but as far as we're concerned it is the real deal, In possession for 20 years, and no other individual guns have appeared with anything similar. Justly, as an observation, a faked disc normally would be flush in the butt stock, not exquisitely finished with a compound curve in a Monty Carlo type stock. Really would be cool to locate the Smith that crafted it. Fakery wasn't as rampant back them and that part of the country had honest folksback then. PAX

I know provenance makes all the difference for selling and authentication, but as far as we're concerned it is the real deal, In possession for 20 years, and no other individual guns have appeared with anything similar. Justly, as an observation, a faked disc normally would be flush in the butt stock, not exquisitely finished with a compound curve in a Monty Carlo type stock. Really would be cool to locate the Smith that crafted it. Fakery wasn't as rampant back them and that part of the country had honest folksback then. PAX
The good news is a genuine '45 model 12 is still worth a few thousand. I don't know if the medallion will lower the value or raise it.

Saw Greg Boyington back in the late 70's. Dad was into airplanes and WWII, I just liked Baa Baa Blacksheep. So we went to some airshow where he was signing autographs.

For some reason, I forgot why; Pappy barked at me in a grough voice. Who knows why, I was a kid under 10, and extremely shy so I started crying. Dad still got a couple of signed posters from him. Mine was on my wall for years and finally threw it out it was so tattered. My mom gave my dad's away after he died. One of the few times my semi hoarder of a mother got rid of something I really prized. It was still in prestine condition. I almost cried again. :(

The monetary value is insignificant. The value is in the perceived coolness of it likely heritage. I work in ag aviation for Jensen in Pingree, and all the hanger bums have stories and memorabilia from many an aviator. The main hanger has photos from WWII.

When I was in video production in the '80's, I shot all the main air shows in Kali from Shafter to the Reno Air Races in '86. I got the last interview from Boyington at Madera. He was a kinda salty old conger until I asked him about his time with Chanult and the Flying Tigers, then he kinda perked up. I had some inside scoop on the transition to the AVG.
There was the last Japanese ace and the last F4F ace there at same the time too. PAX

Last Edited:

Hi Northwest Crew,

View attachment 815256
View attachment 815257
View attachment 815258

I would suggest you call the local library in Okanogan and tell them about the information you are seeking.
Local librarys have access to old records, old newspapers, and sometimes, old people.
In my experience, the library staff are usually eager to help.
Best,
Gary

The gun's owner has letters/emails out to a half dozen folks at historical societies, gunsmiths, & news papers, but time is our enemy. We've got 2 different news accounts of Pappy being there in that time frame, but nothing of the shotgun. Most data we have we got within the 1st week, it's going on 2 years now, and were afraid those that might have known are with us any longer. I'm sure it was a gift given at a banquet or some such. PAX

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top