JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd carry an AR-15, but I'm biased since I have been training on that platform. 308 you can carry less rounds and typically the rifle is heavier. I have a SR-25 but I wouldn't want to carry it around.

Ounces is pounds and pounds is pain, as the saying goes.

WEIGHT! For a SHTF situation the lighter the rifle and ammo load you can carry the better. 7.62's are great but you cut your ammo load by 50% or more.

Get a M4 style AR. PSA has a screaming deal on a mil-spec rifle for $599
<broken link removed>

Curt's is selling a M4gery for $599 last time I was in his shop.

I have a DSA SA58 FAL-type rifle. It's awesome. Unfortunately, it's also heavy. Additionally, .308/7.62 ammunition is not cheap and plentiful. I am now in the process of building a PSA M4. As others have said, the FAL will make a great bug-in/defensive weapon, but I'd much rather carry the M4 if I have to go traipsing around the countryside.

Kind of funny how folks complain about FAL weight. 12 year old boys have been toting FALs for years. But I understand.

Anyway, the FAL is exceptional as an all-around rifle. So is the AR. I personally find the FAL to be a batter choice if you can only have one. All that said, if I could only have one, I'd go with an AK in 7.62x39. Nice .30 cal, handles well, accurate as you need it to be, reliable, etc. Ammo prices are decent. That's if you can have only one. I'd recommend having all three. =) In the end, you have to pick what you like and feel comfortable with. Caliber won't mean much if you can't handle the weapon. Accuracy won't mean much if you don't like to shoot it, so you don't practice. Once you find a rifle you just damn well like, the rest is easy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top