JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided my next purchase is going to be either a nice M4 style AR or a FAL of some sort. I know my fair share about ARs, and if I buy one it will most likely be a Colt, I'll spend between $1000 and $1300. On the other hand, I know NOTHING about FALs except that they look kinda cool, and are .308. For the same price range, $1000-$1300, what would be a better choice for a battle rifle/SHTF rifle?

well .308 cost more if the price of ammo is not a issue .308 semis are a kick in the arse. Not a Fal guy myself i like the Hk91 and Ar10/Lr308 platforms myself but thats only because i have never shot a Fal.

however for fun to shoot and cost less to shoot and is lightweight and portable and accurate nothing really beats the ar15 carbine.

I currently own both, love them both but the AR (M4ish) get alot more action, ammo price and recoil really make a differance. For a SHTF situation, the FAL has a whole lot more knock down power but is also limited to 20 round mags that weigh a lot more and the whole load out weighs a lot more that the same load out for the AR.

Wat a about a Ptr 91 how does it compare to the fal and ar-10s

The G3 family (HK, SAR, PTR) in 7.62 NATO is quite possibly the most awkward, front heavy battle rifle ever devised. I love mine, and I'm a strength trainee, and I'd be lyin' if I told you I'd hump one around all day as my first choice. Add a light bipod and a bayo and your biceps will be screaming before morning break.

Keith

If we're talking "Battle Rifle" I'd go for a 7.62x51.
If we're talking about a SHTF rifle, then I'd go with the most common parts, mags and ammo available type rifles: the AR-15's and AKM's.
FAL variants are neat.. but the one I've got and the others I've played with well.. I'm not a fan.
Now a nice PTR 91 or G3 variant that actually functions well then that's a different story plus your price range is right for that..
How ever in the end.. I'd still stick to my Saiga .308(7.62x51). :)

The G3 family (HK, SAR, PTR) in 7.62 NATO is quite possibly the most awkward, front heavy battle rifle ever devised. I love mine, and I'm a strength trainee, and I'd be lyin' if I told you I'd hump one around all day as my first choice. Add a light bipod and a bayo and your biceps will be screaming before morning break.

Keith

being left handed tends to suck when trying to charge these also...:s0114:

I like G3s and the clones, they shoot nice and are reasonably comfortable. I do find them to be the most awkward gun for a lefty to make work though...finally gave up on the one I had....

To the OP:

Apples and Oranges....

Pick a caliber, then let web hilarity ensue...

For an all-around SHTF rifle, I don't think you can beat the 7.62 round. You can hunt with it, punch through some serious "cover", and the stopping power is much more substantial. I have several FAL's and an AR as well. You can go round and round (pun intended). FAL's are nearly indestructible and I like the gas regulation. Good luck. You might want to check out Boston T. Party's "Gun Bible" very informative on all major makes/models of rifles. (He solidly recommends the 7.62 round true "battle rifles").

I'd carry an AR-15, but I'm biased since I have been training on that platform. 308 you can carry less rounds and typically the rifle is heavier. I have a SR-25 but I wouldn't want to carry it around.

Ounces is pounds and pounds is pain, as the saying goes.

Look at it this way, you are in a firefight with bandits, are you going to be taking random potshots at them with a peashooter AR-15 that could jam at any second, or use the hard-hitting, extremely accurate FAL?

There's a lot of different guns out there, just don't pick an AR-15. Also, if you insist on .223, get a .223 AK-47 or a Mini-14.

Look at it this way, you are in a firefight with bandits, are you going to be taking random potshots at them with a peashooter AR-15 that could jam at any second, or use the hard-hitting, extremely accurate FAL?

There's a lot of different guns out there, just don't pick an AR-15. Also, if you insist on .223, get a .223 AK-47 or a Mini-14.

It's a shame that the AR platforms you have dealt with have been so inaccurate and "peashooter" like. I imagine with more practice and a better quality AR your problem would have been solved. Just playin' :)

I just re-read this post and I love it.

First a FAL is extremely accurate....not by all the guys I have talked to that own them. Accurate yes,extremely? Nope

ARs jam all the time? Not too good with mechanical objects? Didn't put your AR together quite right? Bought the cheapest one you could afford? (wait... I did this and never had a jam)

Then the good part. Putting accurate and AK mini 14??? in the post???
Even on here,this is the first I have heard the mini 14 is a better battle rifle than an AR

BTW a 223 "AK" platform is a AK 74

What's the purpose of this "battle rifle"?

Range fun? SHTF?

If it's for range fun, I'd say get an AR. It's got a lot more accuracy potential and will be a more fun range gun.

If it's for SHTF, are you bugging in or bugging out? You might consider the FAL for bugging in, but for bugging out, you'll be carrying half as much 7.62 ammo as 5.56.

Something else you might want to consider if it's for SHTF is a good AK. It lacks the accuracy of the AR, and doesn't have the range of the FAL, but at closer ranges (like 300M and under), it's a really good compromise. You get the bigger round in a shorter lighter cartridge, still giving you some decent punch, but the ability to carry a decent amount of ammo. Additionally, the durability and reliability of the AK would be a definite plus in a SHTF scenario as well. Just make sure you get a quality AK if you go that route.

Personally, I have each of those. A custom AR I pieced together with the parts I wanted, a Vector built Polish AK, and a DS Arms Para FAL.

If I were bugging out solo, I'd probably be taking the AK. Since I have family though, I'd probably be taking the AR, since everyone in the family has one, so that means commonality of parts, mags, ammo, etc.

I use to have a minimum and mini30.. Hated the mini30. My AR beats both of them.

Good point about commonality of parts.. It just supports the AR more since there will be more likely to find AR parts and ammo if you are on the move than AK. If your AK breaks, it's not always a drop in replacement is easily acquired. At least the 308 is more common.

I think 308 is the way to go. I also think the FAL is a great rifle. I personally went with the AR308 platform for a few reason.
-You can't beat the ergonomics
-They're modular and extremely accessorizable (not sure that's a word)
-I can set my AR up exactly like it so training is essentially the same (also some parts are interchangeable)
-Accuracy is top notch
-Reliability (in my opinion) is right up there with the M14 and FAL (contrary to to Boston T. Party). I think the others may be a little more reliable, but not much.

IMG_1488.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads