JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello there reloaders! I'm trying to find some ammo boxes for my loose ammo. Looking for "generic" factory ammo type boxes and after some searching I have only come up with one option from Top Brass. The only problem is that they have a $50 minimum order and the item I want is $16, and I would have to buy 4X to meet that criteria.

Do any of you have a different resource for these?

Here's a link of what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

I have grocery bags full of factory boxes. I used to pick them out of the recycle bin at the range, for reuse. I accumulated so many that I've started to throw them away. The vast, vast majority are 9mm.

Hello there reloaders! I'm trying to find some ammo boxes for my loose ammo. Looking for "generic" factory ammo type boxes and after some searching I have only come up with one option from Top Brass. The only problem is that they have a $50 minimum order and the item I want is $16, and I would have to buy 4X to meet that criteria.

Thanks.
That's $16 for one empty box?

Paying for what one can get free at any range seems an odd choice. Curious why you don't want to buy the plastic MTM cases? Obviously they're more expensive than cardboard but they stack real nice.

Midwayua has a line of plain white ones.
The ones I saw at Midway have styrofoam trays and I would like the plastic trays for longevity.

You'd be surprised how long they last. I've used mine over and over again. I don't know about now, but the price was very reasonable and wait until they have a free shipping offer which is fairly often for the past couple of years.

Paying for what one can get free at any range seems an odd choice.

I've done this too. The downside of free in this case is lack of uniformity. I guess you could just keep piling them up until you have X amount that are the same. The graphics printed on the boxes is a lot less tidy than the plain white Midway boxes. But no bar to functionality.

The plastic boxes like MTM or whatever, the price just keeps creeping up. Pretty soon you build several dollars into every box of 50. The upside is they are fairly permanent. Until you drop one. Some brands are more brittle than others. These are probably best if you are doing a lot of shooting and rotating the boxes often.

The MTM plastic boxes have several drawbacks for me, primarily price and size. I like the compact size of the factory boxes and how many I can store in a 50 cal ammo can.

I haven't been to the range in a while, but not alot of 357 from my last few trips. And as gmerkt stated, the variation in sizes makes it more challenging.

So, mostly my issues are OCD related...

My wife has a Cricut machine for crafting stuff. I made a design and she cut it out of posterboard paper. They're a little flimsy, but they're compact and work well. I made a few out of old cereal boxes and such and they're a little sturdier.

IMG_9637[1].jpg

I know this is going to come off sounding persnickety, but reusing factory ammo boxes sounds like a potential safety concern. As long as you always put exactly the same kind of ammo in the box as it says on the label, no problem, but if you ever put something different in there...

Yeah, I know, always check the headstamp, but how sure are you that whoever inherits your ammo stash is going to do that?

I just take the factory ammo boxes, spray them with 2 coats of ultra-flat spray paint (OD or black usually), and put a reloading label on the box. They turn-out perfectly uniform and can be clearly identified by the reloading labels.

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one that digs in the garbage can for factory ammo boxes. A thrifty group we are!

I don't know why any one would put different ammo in a box than was on the label? I, then put the small colored labels covering the bullet weight and style showing my powder and charge used.

This is why I was looking for "plain white boxes". That way there is no confusion as to what is in the box. I can label it myself and there is no other nomenclature on them. Sure, I can dig around the range trash and come up with some, but it is difficult to find 20 boxes of 50 round 357 - and no styrofoam!

If any other OCD types here want to split an order from TopBrass with me, let me know. It can be ANY caliber. I'm in for one set of 357 and one set of 9mm. I just need 2 more items to meet their minimum order criteria.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Would these be of any use to you?

3380FD3F-85F7-4737-B6D1-3A3D7151EC84.jpeg

E15DA03E-02B3-4FF0-A533-31EB8BC44E59.jpeg

FC388BB2-0B07-4C54-B3E9-205FD0C72FDC.jpeg

A873CCEB-0AD1-4D6B-87F9-D0BE48DF6C0A.jpeg

64C65B55-9AEF-4B40-8631-9B257F91BE0F.jpeg

BFF2959D-B907-46F5-A535-13172781872D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show