JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question that I can't find an answer. I'm familiar with how to transport firearms when traveling by airplane. The question is how can you legally transport ammo?
Seems counterproductive to reach a desination and have to find a ammo dealer to carry armed (loaded).
When I've traveled before, as well as friends, the magazine(s) has been empty.
There must be a legal way, but even the airline sites don't seem to addess this issue.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks

Each airline has its own policy regarding firearms. I journeyed to South Africa in 2005 and Hawaiian airlines, whom I started my trip with, said ammo could be carried in checked-in luggage. I had 80rds of rifle ammo. They were very specific that it could NOT go with the rifle in the locked case. Check with the airlines and speak with someone of some seniority who has experience dealing with firearms and ammo. Again this was hawaiian airlines policy and not any other carriers.

Thanks Jamie and Doobee. I'm headed to Phoenix for 2 days on business and permitted to carry there but wanted to avoid the trip to ammo store. I will call airlines since website doesn't discuss the ammo part.
Too bad they don't sell ammo at the duty-free stores in airports :)

Check out the airline web site.

Generally the ammo must be in factory boxes.

A co-worker of mine just came back from South Dakota. The TSA was stealing (confiscating) any factory box of ammo that had been opened. According to him, a friend of his at the airport said the confiscated (stolen) ammo was then made available to airport employees.

I think that if it was me, I'd ship it by Fed Ex, etc to both ends of my trip.

The last time I flew, the requirements for carrying ammo differed between Portland, OR and El Paso, TX. This was on the same airline.

Oh yeah...different TSA employees might have vastly different opinions on the rules and how they are applied. "I don't give a s***t what TSA does or doesn't do in Portland". That was a direct quote from TAS in El Paso.

FUBAR!

I contacted Southwest and got transferred to someone who 'knows' their regs. She said they follow TSA guidelines and referred me to TSA's website. I was suprised that you CAN transport personal ammo in a box. You cannot have loose or in a magazine. Wierd, as I think in a magazine is the most secure. Jerry's experience above concerns me as there is no mention about the ammo having to be in unopened factory boxes.
I guess I'll find out next week and report back my my experience. It's worth trying

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top