JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An Air Force investigation of a fatal fighter jet crash in 2020 quietly discovered that key components of the pilot's ejection seat may have been counterfeit, Air Force Times has learned.

While the Air Force suspected parts of the seat were counterfeit, it buried the information in a nonpublic section of its accident investigation report.

Those details have come to light in a federal civil lawsuit filed by Schmitz's widow, Valerie, who is suing three defense companies for negligence and misleading the Air Force about the safety of their products.

"What the military does is inherently dangerous to begin with," plaintiff attorney Jim Brauchle said Tuesday. "If you're going to be engaging in that kind of activity, you want to be doing it with equipment that's going to work."

The case in U.S. District Court in South Carolina targets F-16 manufacturer Lockheed Martin; Collins Aerospace, which builds the ACES II ejection seat installed on planes across the Air Force; and multiple business units of Teledyne Technologies, which makes the seat's digital recovery sequencer.

Having been in the US Military and worked in Supply, I understand the bidding process. The government always selects the lowest bidder.

But there has to be a level of quality even with the lowest bid suppliers.

This is as bad as the falsified QA for the submarine hull steel.

I feel sorry for this generation of volunteers.

Last Edited:
How do they consider this justice?

Sounds like he got off WAYYY too easy to me.:mad:

Sounds like he got off WAYYY too easy to me.:mad:
I agree... 30 months and $50,000 fine is a slap on the wrist!

30 Nuclear Submarines are affected by this negligence.

I was fortunate to serve on the East Coast where the undersea topography isn't changing. It's a much different experience in the Pacific.

Just last year, we had another boat hit an undersea mountain. In 2005, there was a horrible accident which resulted in a death and majority of the crew injured. We would have loss the whole ship if the steel structure didn't hold.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top