JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The article link through me off.

That's crazy. I've heard of people shooting albino animals during hunting season and what an amazing mount that would be to taxidermy.
But I don't think I could bring myself to do it

my buddy passed an albino blacktail buck. had to let'm live.

Years ago, a friend and I were bow hunting on Ft. Dix when we had white tail doe with two fawns/yearlings come within range of both of our tree stands, one of the youngsters was an albino. We just sat there and watched them move through. It was pretty cool.

That was the only albino animal I've ever seen in the wild.

Ray

Albino deer (from deer to moose) are not that rare (I've seen pictures of a whole heard of albino deer), they just don't last long in the wilder regions as they stand out.

I see these posts on FB all the time, people saying they are rare and a different species, so it should be illegal to hunt them, etc. - "would you shoot one"?

You bet. They are not a different species, they just have a mutant albinism gene.

Albino deer (from deer to moose) are not that rare (I've seen pictures of a whole heard of albino deer), they just don't last long in the wilder regions as they stand out.

I see these posts on FB all the time, people saying they are rare and a different species, so it should be illegal to hunt them, etc. - "would you shoot one"?

You bet. They are not a different species, they just have a mutant albinism gene.

I think the pictures that you saw of a heard of albino deer are actually pictures of the "Seneca White Deer".
Seneca white deer - Wikipedia
about the white deer

The Seneca White Deer are leucistic, meaning they lack all pigmentation in the hair but have the normal brown-colored eyes. Albino deer, which lack only the pigment melanin, have pink eyes and are extremely rare.

Ray

Back when I was a Teen first starting out Elk hunting, My Grand Dad and I saw a Albino Bull Elk up near Saddle Mt. out near the Oregon Coast. I have heard stories of them, but never seen another. I did see a Albino Stag in Germany back in the late 90's, pretty freaky sight.

I think the pictures that you saw of a heard of albino deer are actually pictures of the "Seneca White Deer".
Seneca white deer - Wikipedia
about the white deer

Ray

Close enough - the point is that they are not a different species of deer.

When I was a kid we had a white deer on our property up here on the mountain - saw it from time to time when we got up there early in the morning to work in the fields. THought it was a goat at first.

Whether a true albino, or just a white coat, or piebald, not anything particularly special about them. Even if we shot and killed every one of them today, that gene would still show up again in the future - they cannot go extinct.

Yeah I'm not a trophy hunter. I hunt for meat and I'm not starving so just because I see something legal to shoot doesn't mean I will feel the need to.
I love animals and don't feel good about taking one's life.

I sure don't judge anyone who will take one, but for me seeing one and enjoying viewing it will be just as gratifying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top