JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending on the age of your boys, there may be a slight price break on entrance fees. Even so, as others have pointed out, the show is expensive and hard to find deals at. I haven't gone to an Expo show in over a year.... I believe there's one this weekend? If I find myself bored and looking for over priced beer and hot dogs, I might go.

Yeah, twice a year for me and Wifey, maybe. We went to the last show. We went just for the heck of it, winter doldrums, and the smell of firearms made for a decent time filler. There's always a bit of a let-down as you leave with out something needed in hand though.

Here's a different perspective. I'm an ammunition manufacturer making quality target ammo and market it at a fair price. Portland Expo shows are on my must do list. There are two different promoters that put on shows there so not all shows are the same but yes neither are like back in the old days where it took 2 days to get through the show. A couple things that make Portland a good show for me is I sell ammo others don't, 44-40 and 41 mag as well as others and if you order on line and I deliver it to the show there is no shipping or extra handling charges.

Honestly the shows started downhill when the background checks came in. Instant check is a joke and you spend too much time on the phone to sell a gun. Small table holders dont ' do computors so it' the phone call and credit card deal that can take 50 minutes. So what I am saying is the state ruined the good gun shows and destroyed commerce in the industry.

That's one of the bright points for those that don't "Roll their own" is the custom ammo vendors and the outfit out of Tacoma, I think, that has good prices on commercial bulk stuff. 9mm, .223, .40 etc.

Here's a different perspective. I'm an ammunition manufacturer making quality target ammo and market it at a fair price. Portland Expo shows are on my must do list. There are two different promoters that put on shows there so not all shows are the same but yes neither are like back in the old days where it took 2 days to get through the show. A couple things that make Portland a good show for me is I sell ammo others don't, 44-40 and 41 mag as well as others and if you order on line and I deliver it to the show there is no shipping or extra handling charges.
Honestly the shows started downhill when the background checks came in. Instant check is a joke and you spend too much time on the phone to sell a gun. Small table holders dont ' do computors so it' the phone call and credit card deal that can take 50 minutes. So what I am saying is the state ruined the good gun shows and destroyed commerce in the industry.

You are so right,
Oregon Government has ruined everything good about Oregon... We always drive around Oregon, and not through Oregon anymore. What a shame it is ruined!

Drugs, Sex, Rock & Roll for Oregon

Oh yeah, we shouldn't have background checks at the shows. We could get the saggy pant gang types in there buying, and get it of the streets. o_O

:Sarcasm: Just in case some one might think "I" disagree with background checks.

Oh yeah, we shouldn't have background checks at the shows. We could get the saggy pant gang types in there buying, and get it of the streets. o_O

:Sarcasm: Just in case some one might think "I" disagree with background checks.

If your a felon, You have already shown... Your a looser, so why do you need a gun...Hummmm!

...I believe there's one this weekend? ...

There is, but I won't be going. I'm glad to find out the cost before I took the trip in only to face sticker shock! It seems the host site need to get somebody that understands basic marketing and economics (price point v attendance v overall revenue) because I'm sure that that level of pricing they are NOT reaping maximum revenue.

There is, but I won't be going. I'm glad to find out the cost before I took the trip in only to face sticker shock! It seems the host site need to get somebody that understands basic marketing and economics (price point v attendance v overall revenue) because I'm sure that that level of pricing they are NOT reaping maximum revenue.

It is just motivated by greed... Their is no sanity to the stupidity that goes on in and around the Portland area. This is just another attempt to generate revenue at any cost to people. The only way to stop this is to...
Cut the head of the snake off, and that starts with the Governor of Oregon and the Mayer of Portland along with the city council.
D-Fang the whole State!

I don't see it as greed. I'm more inclined to see it as ignorance of marketing research and economics (gov't owned franchise here) or as you hint at Larry243 ... politically motivated issues.

A for-profit business wishes to maximize it's revenue. Revenue is a product of Price x Units Sold.

As price goes up the number of units sold declines, as price goes down the number of sales increases. So, businesses always have a downward pressure on price. They (if interested in maximum revenue) will decrease their price to drive more sales. Eventually you will reach a sweet spot (equilibrium price) where further reductions in price will not net an offsetting increase in sales. It's at this point you stop reducing your price.

A super simple made-up example:

Price x Units Sold = Total Revenue
$100 x 50 = $5000
$ 75 x 75 = $5625
$ 50 x 150 = $7500

Where would you put your price? The lower price ($50) nets a higher total revenue (which is your goal). Of course this does not take into consideration variable costs and the minimum price needed to cover costs but at any price above breakeven it holds true.

I can't believe that dropping the admission to say $5 per head with free parking (and properly advertising this change) would not yield enough extra attendance to offset the admission revenue loss. The higher levels of traffic would be of value to the exhibitors, causing more to purchase tables, and even allowing an increase in rent charged. More tables rented (greater selection) brings in more people. You get the idea.

Since government does not really have to ever balance their books (and it really is not a priority or a benefit for them to do so) you will find very few in government that know how to do the research to set proper price structures geared to revenue maximization. Example, when is the last time you saw a posting from a governmental agency looking for trained marketing professionals?

Wow, that got long ... sorry! Just some of my twisted thinking.

Regardless, a gun show of the nature that I'm hearing occurs at the Expo Center is not enough of a value to me to spend $38 on the off chance I might find something interesting. I'll buy components with that money, load up and then take my boys shooting instead!

Last Edited:
I don't see it as greed. I'm more inclined to see it as ignorance of marketing research and economics (gov't owned franchise here) or as you hint at Larry243 ... politically motivated issues.

A for-profit business wishes to maximize it's revenue. Revenue is a product of Price x Units Sold.

As price goes up the number of units sold declines, as price goes down the number of sales increases. So, businesses always have a downward pressure on price. They (if interested in maximum revenue) will decrease their price to drive more sales. Eventually you will reach a sweet spot (equilibrium price) where further reductions in price will not net an offsetting increase in sales. It's at this point you stop reducing your price.

A super simple made-up example:

Price x Units Sold = Total Revenue
$100 x 50 = $5000
$ 75 x 75 = $5625
$ 50 x 150 = $7500

Where would you put your price? The lower price ($50) nets a higher total revenue (which is your goal). Of course this does not take into consideration variable costs and the minimum price needed to cover costs but at any price above breakeven it holds true.

I can't believe that dropping the admission to say $5 per head with free parking (and properly advertising this change) would not yield enough extra attendance to offset the admission revenue loss. The higher levels of traffic would be of value to the exhibitors, causing more to purchase tables, and even allowing an increase in rent charged.

Since government does not really have to ever balance their books (and it really is not a priority or a benefit for them to do so) you will find very few in government that know how to do the research to set proper price structures geared to revenue maximization. Example, when is the last time you saw a posting from a governmental agency looking for trained marketing professionals?

Wow, that got long ... sorry! Just some of my twisted thinking.

Regardless, a gun show of the nature that I'm hearing occurs at the Expo Center is not enough of a value to me to spend $38 on the off chance I might find something interesting. I'll buy components with that money, load up and then take my boys shooting instead!

You are so spot on my man...
Portland is the suck hole capital and arm pit of the United States... Cut the head of the snake off!
Larry243

@DLS what you are referring to is the 80-20 rule. Basically if you have raised the price to the point that 20% of your potential clients won't come, you have reached the maximum revenue that will be generated. Lower the price to attract those 20% and net revenue will decrease. Raise the cost further and drive away part of the 80% that are coming and revenue will decrease.
Unfortunately there is nothing they can do about the parking. That is controlled by Multnomah County and they aren't about to give up their cash cow.
Too bad there isn't a private venue somewhere to host events and tell Expo to pound sand.

@DLS what you are referring to is the 80-20 rule. Basically if you have raised the price to the point that 20% of your potential clients won't come, you have reached the maximum revenue that will be generated. Lower the price to attract those 20% and net revenue will decrease. Raise the cost further and drive away part of the 80% that are coming and revenue will decrease.
Unfortunately there is nothing they can do about the parking. That is controlled by Multnomah County and they aren't about to give up their cash cow.
Too bad there isn't a private venue somewhere to host events and tell Expo to pound sand.

Once again I am in total agreement with you..
They do not understand volume! Lower the price get more precipitation. Raise the price, get less participation. They new to follow the rule of McDonald's. The figured it out 50 years ago. I say, move the gun show to an Armory or other venue!

I will never ever pay $20.00 to go to a gun show for 3 hrs. That is $6.50 per/hr..... Not happening with this old gun runner for sure. Most of the stuff is way over priced any way. Buy on-line. A better source anyway. Thank's When you hear the toilet flush next time, look inside. It is Portland going down the tube!
Larry243

Well, I have a feeling the location is a massive part of it. The Expo center is not cheap and I have a feeling they gouge the bubblegum, out of the gun show promoters on insurance.
Curious what say the car show gets charged vs the gunshows.

Once again I am in total agreement with you..
They do not understand volume! Lower the price get more precipitation. Raise the price, get less participation. They new to follow the rule of McDonald's. The figured it out 50 years ago. I say, move the gun show to an Armory or other venue!

I will never ever pay $20.00 to go to a gun show for 3 hrs. That is $6.50 per/hr..... Not happening with this old gun runner for sure. Most of the stuff is way over priced any way. Buy on-line. A better source anyway. Thank's When you hear the toilet flush next time, look inside. It is Portland going down the tube!
Larry243

You forgot about the fee they charge to allow you to park in the parking lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top