JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my 1st AR-15 but don't want to shoot it routinely. Partly because the ammo gets so expensive and the wet and cold winter months in the NW. I try to follow some threads in this forum to see if there is a place (within an hour or so from Beaverton, OR) where I can shot a few rounds during weekends but my conclusion is no. Browns camp is usually full of people especially when weather is good. Other places are closed because of trash issue. I also heard sometimes people shooting in the same area have no concept of gun safety.

One of the threads hinted that we should not post any location (which is still clean) we know because the only outcomes is those places being trashed. I agree with this suggestion.

So, my questions is how can I find a place on my own. I don't have a truck or SUV so off-road exploration is not possible. I heard in general you can shoot on BLM land and away from traffic. Anyone can provide a tutorial on how to "search" for a nice and quite place where I can plink?

Go to state forest service website (state and federal) or call and ask them. In Washington state if you walk back into the forest and have a embankment to stop bullet travel you should be ok. Don't shoot at trees, keep long guns unloaded in the car, and pick up after yourself. Follow these and you should be ok.
You can go on a country drive and look for shooting spots back in forest on logging road. Many people fail to consider houses or trails back in forest that are down range from where they are shooting. Up on one of the mountains in Washington people where putting bullets into the side houses a halve mile or so down range. The forest service started fining people hundreds (don't know exact amount) for shooting in a spot they use to shoot regularly. I know because I was setting up to shoot and one of the home owners pulled up and warned me. I was shooting clays but decided to take his advice and moved further into forest to another spot.
I know people who do primitive camping were they dress up in frontiers man clothing and shoot black powder. They bring nothing modern with them except water tablet for safety reasons. They say they are having to fight with forest services over areas where they have camped for many years. My understanding is that some people don't want humans in the forest at all, so they complain and the forest service tells these quys they can't camp there anymore.

Here is what I have found. These rules are pretty reasonable.

General Forest Recreation Rules
(9) Target Shooting.
(a) No person shall place targets on live trees or shoot live trees for any purpose.
(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail.
(c) No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or
in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
(d) Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from State Forest land all shell casings,
targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific
purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or
people engaging in target shooting.
(f) No person shall shoot glass of any kind as a target.
(g) No person shall shoot appliances, furniture or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse
by an enforcing officer.
(h) Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after
sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

For the most part, I have been able to use most of the BLM roads in a regular car. The pot holes do get a little deep sometimes but it is worth the effort. Lots of good places out there to shoot still.
A lot of FS and state forest roads too. Many are paved or gravel with manageable potholes. Get some maps and look at areas people mention here. Or drive around and find one.

I did just that and found a place to shoot. The condition of the spot is not bad but less than 100 yards. Finally I had a chance to waste some ammo and had lot of fun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top