JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 14 yr-old daughter decided she really wants to hunt deer this year. So last week she slammed through the online hunter's safety course and last Saturday did the field exam portion. As of yesterday she is the proud holder of a blaze orange Washington State Hunter Education Certificate.

My 20-yr old son also jumped in and got his card too. He's leaving for law school next spring so this may be the last / only chance I have to hunt with him as you never know what life will bring. He's done a bit of competitive shooting with me but this is the first he's shown interest in hunting.

So here are my challenges.

1. I don't know where to hunt. For the last 15 years I've bow hunted in some little isolated pockets that I found that yield deer and elk in season. So I've never really scouted the SW Washington area for rifle seasons, or scouted much at all because of my success with the bow.

2. My daughter had a pretty horrific birth defect that among other things leaves her with one half a lung on one side and pretty much no lung on the other … so she's not able to do much cardiovascular stuff.

3. I'm a few months out of double knee replacements so while I'm up and moving well I'm not able to bust and down the mountainside quite yet.

So, my plan is to find a spot to set up a blind and see if we can ambush a crossing animal. That or (shudder) road hunt.

I'm not asking for anybody's secret place here, not at all. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for, but if anybody could give some pointers as to where to scout, or any other ideas / options I'd be very appreciative. I'm in Battle Ground and could travel an hour or so any direction without too much difficulty.

Thanks!

PS: I have all the gear necessary to outfit them both so equipment and skill using it is not a problem.

Last Edited:
My 14 yr-old daughter decided she really want to hunt deer this year. So last week she slammed through the online hunter's safety course and last Saturday did the field exam portion. As of yesterday she is the proud holder of a blaze orange Washington State Hunter Education Certificate.

My 20-yr old son also jumped in and got his card too. He's leaving for law school next spring so this may be the last / only chance I have to hunt with him as you never know what life will bring. He's done a bit some competitive shooting with me but this is the first he's shown interest in hunting.

1. I don't know where to hunt. For the last 15 years I've bow hunted in some little isolated pockets that I found that yield deer and elk in season. So I've never really scouted the SW Washington area for rifle seasons, or scouted much at all because of my success with the bow.

2. My daughter had a pretty horrific birth defect that among other things leaves her with one half a lung on one side and pretty much no lung on the other … so she's not able to do much cardiovascular stuff.

3. I'm a few months out of double knee replacements so while I'm up and moving well I'm not able to bust and down the mountainside quite yet.

So, my plan is to find a spot to set up a blind and see if we can ambush a crossing animal. That or (shudder) road hunt.

I'm not asking for anybody's secret place here, not at all. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for, but if anybody could give some pointers as to where to scout, or any other ideas / options I'd be very appreciative. I'm in Battle Ground and could travel an hour or so any direction without too much difficulty.

Thanks!

PS: I have all the gear necessary to outfit them both so equipment and skill using it is not a problem.

I've been hunting for about 9 years teaching myself and learning along the way.

The biggest lesson I've learned is that not harvesting an animal doesn't mean a failed hunt or a bad year.
Especially when your with your family.

Hunting is about getting out in God's country. Enjoying nature, and spending intentional quality time with people you love.

Take them out in the woods, be prepared for the elements, and take in every fresh breath with appreciation for those amazing people you have in your life.

Been fortunate enough that my daughter and her guy have taken an interest in fishing.

We have gone a half a dozen times the past couple of months.

Couldn't tell you what we caught, but I know we made some memories!

I've been hunting for about 9 years teaching myself and learning along the way.

The biggest lesson I've learned is that not harvesting an animal doesn't mean a failed hunt or a bad year.
Especially when your with your family.

Hunting is about getting out in God's country. Enjoying nature, and spending intentional quality time with people you love.

Take them out in the woods, be prepared for the elements, and take in every fresh breath with appreciation for those amazing people you have in your life.

This. Hunting for me, has been a great excuse to go for a walk in the woods with my rifle/shotgun. Enjoying where you are is a very important part of the game.

My son did the in person classes in Salmon Creek and got his certificate just last month a couple weeks before turning 16. Last week was the first time we went hunting where we were both armed. We walked around the Shillapoo area for a couple hours. We didn't see anything but it was a great experience, just walking the fields together.

I hope you find a place to go out with your kids. :)

DLS, there are lots of good areas down there to hunt. It is a bit challenging though. Having hunted for a few years down there here is what it sound like you should do. Get up into the forest along the lumber and forest roads. There are plenty of clear cuts and openings. Usually right off the road. Start scouting them now ASAP. find the areas where there are signs and then plan on setting up. The black tails are very smart so don't try to find them. You have to ambush them. They are most active just before dawn and just after sunset so that is when you need to be up there ready to go. That means getting in the truck at 3-4 am and getting up and set long before first light. Get setup and stay salient and moving only your head.

I teach hunters Ed here in Washington and we always remind people to take advantage as you can. She qualifies as disabled and they have some priviledges you and I usually don't have. Take advantage of those!
Kudo's for helping them get out to hunt. I use to hunt up above Washougal by driving up the Washougal river and back into the forest. The clearing with fairly young growth are the ones you want to look for. Remember the deer usually stay close to the tree line as well. Look for the likely places for the deer to be moving towards water as well.

Good luck next weekend on opening day.

You wanna get a chance to shoot something?
Get a map.
Stay away from roads.
Or find a apple orchard.
Hunting Blacktail is about being opportunistic.
Hunting mule deer is about being the furthest one away from roads.
Not 1 mike but 4 miles in. At least.

Hmmmm, AFAIK deer don't move all that far... if an area is good for bow season deer, wouldn't it also be good in rifle season? If so, perhaps the limiting factor is terrain and whether ya'all are able to negotiate the areas you typically hunt during bow season. IMO the advice about finding clearings accessible to roaded areas is good advice for your situation.

Here in Oregon, a person with a disabled hunting license is able to shoot from a vehicle. Despite your aversion to road hunting, if WA allows the same, that may be something to do. Depends on whether a walk in the woods is more important or harvesting a deer is more important. Maybe let the kid decide???

Best wishes for a great hunt no matter what!!! - bb

Something to think about... maybe too late for this year, IDK.

Disabled hunter road access entry program | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

This is a cooperative effort between the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), Recreation and Conservation Office, Department of Natural Resources (DNR), U.S. Forest Service, private timber companies, and hunters with disabilities.

This is not the same as the special permit drawings offered each year in the"Big Game Hunting Seasons and Regulations" booklet. This is not a permit drawing for deer or elk tag, doe or cow tag.

If drawn, you will be issued an access special use permit by the land manager allowing you to drive a motorized vehicle into a closed or gated area where other hunters must walk in.

All areas are:

• Still open to walk-in hunters.
  • Open to administrative use by the agency or land manager.
  • Subject to closures for logging, fire, emergencies, etc.

You do not have to buy your license or tags first to apply for these Road Access Entry Permits; you only need to be a WDFW registered hunter with a disability and have your Disabled Hunter WILD ID number available (This number is found on your license).

However, if drawn for a Road Access Entry Permit, you must have all appropriate licenses and tags for the game you are pursuing.

Everyone must follow all state regulations pertaining to hunting.

Further info:

(7) It is unlawful for a hunter with a disability to possess a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, or shoot from a motor vehicle, unless the hunter with a disability has been issued a special use permit from the department, and:
(a) The vehicle is stopped, the vehicle is removed from the maintained portion of the roadway, and the motor is turned off; and
(b) A valid blue disabled hunter "shooting from a vehicle" identification placard must be displayed and visible.

My 14 yr-old daughter decided she really want to hunt deer this year. So last week she slammed through the online hunter's safety course and last Saturday did the field exam portion. As of yesterday she is the proud holder of a blaze orange Washington State Hunter Education Certificate.

My 20-yr old son also jumped in and got his card too. He's leaving for law school next spring so this may be the last / only chance I have to hunt with him as you never know what life will bring. He's done a bit some competitive shooting with me but this is the first he's shown interest in hunting.

Thanks!

I am sorry to hear about your Daughters condition. and your knee issue sucks.

I know your Daughter wants to do a Deer season, but what about bird hunting? You can easily road hunt grouse and quail. It would be nice to get out and see things. Plus its a good introduction to hunting and chances are higher of coming home with a meal, which is what most younger ones like, the most..... bragging rights:cool:. Or my kids do.......

I usually come across an elk and/or deer(usually a doe) when grouse hunting, but it also lets you know where they are. Just this year starting with grouse (and I have only been out once) I came across 4 ruffed grouse.....Just a thought.

Harvesting a deer the first year can be hard, and (from personal experience with my kids) can be a spirit breaker for hunting. But when bird hunting they got excited when we would flush them out.

Please keep in mind these are just my personal experiences and opinions, and I am just trying to help:)

- P

Thanks!

If I lived in Washington Id give you my secrete spots. Your the perfect dad.

I dont know where to go in Wa. but as an Oregon public land hunter I can give ideas....

Your daughter can still hunt from stands while your son can hunt traditional tactics. Stand hunting is quite effective and possibly more effective (since your not moving), get a quality set of binos to glass clearcuts and spot deer with her. Find a location thats suitable for a stand over a clearcut with a good 100yd view to the edge of the timber... have your son work his way inside the timber and he might flush a deer or get his own (most likely they wont run into the clearcut when flushed but you never know).

Blacktail spend a lot of time in 6 foot reprod areas. They love to eat on the fresh young tree branch ends. Blacktail don't blow out usually. They freeze. Your eyes are your best asset. You don't hear Blacktails run. Like mule deer. Your best bet is the valley floor near private ground. Apple orchards are money I tell you.

Hello everybody, thanks for the encouragement and comments. I've been reading them all, but have been hit hard with the flu and not really up to answering too much here. Not that I'm upright and not coughing up a lung I'm getting back into things.

I appreciate the comments about hunting not being just about filling the tag. I agree wholeheartedly, but we all know seeing game is far more fun than not. My kids realize that getting such a late start on this will only result in a filled tag if we are truly lucky so I'm not too worried about them losing heart if we are skunked. My daughter and I have already talked a bit about next year, things like putting in for special hunts she qualifies for and getting "out there" in a camp away from the main roads.

I can't use the areas I've bow-hunted due to firearms or access restrictions during the rifle season. I'm hoping to find a smallish clear cut where I can set up my ground blind for my daughter and, as suggested earlier, let my able-bodied son do some still hunting around the clearing. (I understand setting up fields of fire etc. for safety)

He may be able to push something into our field of fire and perhaps jump something himself. He's not one to sit, so he won't object. I need to keep the range short for my daughter as she will be using an SKS (for the stock fit). She can shoot iron sights quite well, but the SKS sights are not great field sights and the cartridge is not the most robust. She is sighted in for 75 yards and will not take a shot over 125. That way she can ignore holdover and still be within a couple of inches at range. It seems that I may have found an old stock for a long-action Winchester that I can cut down for her and then install a .257 Roberts Featherweight action I have. That would be a much better solution for her but that will be next year.

So hopefully we can find some suitable ground. I'm really looking at this weekend more as scouting than hunting since we have had so little time to prepare and then hopefully if we find something get back out mid-week to take advantage of the find. There are a lot of clear cut areas East of Yacolt we will try, I'm just hoping the gates are open at least a ways into the back woods due to our mobility issues. Nothing ventured as they say.

Any other ideas / comments are appreciated and thanks again for those of you who took the time to post.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top