JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So, I am presently bidding on a revolver in .50Æ. (I have the highest bid at the present; we'll see by late tomorrow.) Why? In order:

1. I'm a silly person. To quote the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "you can never go too far", and the Fifty seems like the upper limits said in handgun form. Gonzo is giggles.
  2. It was one of cartridges I could still find in the city to the north at at least two vendors, with no fail because, I suspect, few buy it. And it can be bought on the Intratubes.
  3. Mi Esposita not only rolled with it, endorsed the idea, was mildly irked I sold off a CZ Nine, put her foot down on another dumpage, and not long ago authorized another transferable subgun. Amused? I think so. A little spooked? Ay ... yah, not going to deny this.
* Number two brings me to the concern. I was up in the city to handle affairs, and no one had any. AmmoSeeks shows only one, yes "uno", vendor with anything .50Æ.

New to this cartridge; is this normal? Options? Thank you friends!

You had me scared .50 BMG Was getting panic bought now. That's my personal "niche" cartridge of this shortage :D.

I think you have a great idea. Anything that puts half inch holes in things is a guaranteed good time, especially if it's food isn't a hot ticket. I can't off the top of my head think of anything but the desert eagle chambered in that and I don't think a whole lot of people own those. It's good to know what you want is available :s0115:

By the laws of physics, anything with that kind of energy leaving the barrel, an opposite amount of energy or mass (energy and mass are interchangeable) must escape in the opposite direction. Remember to bring extra underwear when you shoot that thing.

By the laws of physics, anything with that kind of energy leaving the barrel, an opposite amount of energy or mass (energy and mass are interchangeable) must escape in the opposite direction. Remember to bring extra underwear when you shoot that thing.
And some Advil as well. :rolleyes:

.50 AE is designed more for semi-autos and has a chamber pressure of 36,000 psi. The .500 S&W is much more suited to revolvers and is loaded to 60,000 psi.

...* Number two brings me to the concern. I was up in the city to handle affairs, and no one had any. AmmoSeeks shows only one, yes "uno", vendor with anything .50Æ.

No idea on .50 AE specifically.

This is a pretty darned gnarly blight tho!

Was looking yesterday online to figure on fair pricing for 7.5 Swiss for another member. No one has any. No one has any brass. No one has any .284 Win brass. Edit, Grafs has a few scant .284 offerings, not worthwhile.

Going on 2 weeks for an RTG parts order to ship.

Was over a month for a century order to ship.

HkParts order wasn't too bad at 2 weeks.

Midway has been pretty darned good all under a week or so.

All pretty meat & potatoes parts & stuff tho. Some of which I had to go second or third choice IIRC.

Point being, I would be hesitant about getting into any new caliber ATM.

...unless we lived in Fla & could scoop up a pallet of .45 gap. Fla State Police finally dropped the caliber & pallet quantities are now in shops. No limits. At about pre-covid 9mm price!

Last Edited:
So, I am presently bidding on a revolver in .50Æ. (I have the highest bid at the present; we'll see by late tomorrow.) Why? In order:

1. I'm a silly person. To quote the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "you can never go too far", and the Fifty seems like the upper limits said in handgun form. Gonzo is giggles.
  2. It was one of cartridges I could still find in the city to the north at at least two vendors, with no fail because, I suspect, few buy it. And it can be bought on the Intratubes.
  3. Mi Esposita not only rolled with it, endorsed the idea, was mildly irked I sold off a CZ Nine, put her foot down on another dumpage, and not long ago authorized another transferable subgun. Amused? I think so. A little spooked? Ay ... yah, not going to deny this.
* Number two brings me to the concern. I was up in the city to handle affairs, and no one had any. AmmoSeeks shows only one, yes "uno", vendor with anything .50Æ.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can barely see my English font keyboard through all the wine fumes I'm burping up....
65726D4F-0B0A-40DD-9466-9086B160B36A.gif

BTW.....

Has anyone seen my CZ?
24C2B731-A21E-4847-A5B9-44B9469901A3.gif

:s0140:

To answer your question, 50AE is not a "common" cartridge and is hit and miss in the smaller stores. Mostly miss. The larger store seem to have stock (when stock is available). The companies that offer it are sure proud of it, and their price reflects it. The HSM brand is the one that I usually look for as it seems to be lower priced than the others. I stay away from Speer. For whatever reason it is DIRTY!

My $0.02.

Last Edited:
Thanks @AMT. There was a couple places at the city I'd routinely see it at, but even the fifty cannot be found on the shelves. Signs of the times. Oh well.

To answer your question, 50AE is not a "common" cartridge and is hit and miss in the smaller stores. Mostly miss. The larger store seem to have stock (when stock is available). The companies that offer it are sure proud of it, and their price reflects it. The HSM brand is the one that I usually lookefor as it seems to be lower priced than the others. I stay away from Speer. For whatever reason it is DIRTY!

My $0.02.

Absolutely! If you are going to shoot it a lot, definitely get into reloading it (when reloading supplies come available of course).

:s0155:

Never heard of them. A brief Google shows poor reviews, mostly markedly inflated shipping.

To give a look see, I carted 500 rounds. They estimate $169 for shipping. Seems fishy. IMO.

Also fishy, no one else (reputable) has any.

Thanks on the heads up though, for sure.

Given the fishiness, I will not pass on said info to the fellow forum member. If he happens to come acrossed such on his own, and makes a decision to purchase thru them, and is successful...fantastic!

A word of caution to all, particularly newer shooters whom have never gone thru a blight:

-It's NOT JUST CDT whom will try to RIP you off!-

---Edit---

That's 6.5 Swede anyways. Be a "difficult" fit for a 7.5 Swiss. Might work...once...:confused:

--edit 2---

J&G sales still has 6.5 Swede wood blanks, if someone wanted to play pull the wood...

Last Edited:
50AE is the one round I've always reloaded. Even in good times the ammo is spendy and I could reload it for about a third of the going rate (not counting initial cost of reloading equipment).

Absolutely! If you are going to shoot it a lot, definitely get into reloading it (when reloading supplies come available of course).

:s0155:
It is actually a fairly easy cartridge to reload. Due to me buying 2k of the projectiles on sale, I can reload for under $.50 for a 50cal. Mine have less flash than the factory rounds I have, but very comparable recoil. I shoot mine out of a DE.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads