JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw a review recently on an all in one: knife + window breaker + seatbelt cutter ... and it absolutely shredded it with real world tests.

I don't happen to have any extra belts or tempered glass laying around and my neighbor hasn't quite pissed me off enough to use his car (though he is close after hitting my friend's car...parked). So, I'm turning to you fine preppers.

What are you using for an escape the car tool? If you want to expand into your full car kit, by all means. Thanks guys and gals!

A friend gave me this, so no idea on the cost.

I keep it on a magnet within reach. Also works really well for opening those stupid plastic shells they enclose kids toys in :s0155:

20210526_211623.jpg 20210526_211612.jpg

Knife, seatbelt cutter, window punch. Benchmade Triage. I also carry an entire bag of items in my vehicle.

3AEF8C4F-220A-4217-B6C2-73D9BA147984.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have two of these in every vehicle, one on the driver's side visor and one on the passenger's side visor. They're relatively small, inexpensive and work as advertised.

Also have one of their emergency flashlights in every vehicle. I especially like the fact that powering up the flashlight can be done with one hand.

Last Edited:
The door handle.

Just kidding, sort of.

I don't usually drive around large bodies of water.

If I were in a really serious accident, I think I'd be careful to allow the first responders get me out of the vehicle.

Yes, I still keep an emergency tool in the car in the door pocket. This one.

The door handle.

Just kidding, sort of.

I don't usually drive around large bodies of water.

If I were in a really serious accident, I think I'd be careful to allow the first responders get me out of the vehicle.

Yes, I still keep an emergency tool in the car in the door pocket. This one.
When I was a teen, my climbing partner messed up and decked me. I knew I'd been hurt but I didn't realize that I had burst 3 vertebrate and had bone compressing my spinal cord to half its normal size. So, I got to my knees to walk it off. It took an EMT rushing over to convince me to lay flat and not move.

Just sayin, if you're in that bad an accident, you're going to have to have a really cool head to overcome adrenaline.

The best "Rescue/Extraction" tool dosnt exist, but you can do pretty good with some well thought out designs. both Spiderco and Puma make excellent blades that can be counted on to get you out of trouble quickly. You want a hooked blade, like a Krambit, dosnt have to be serrated but does need to be sharp. Dosnt need to be able to break glass, but tough enough to cut through seat belts, wires, and other stuff like airbags and leather.
I carry an old Spiderco Krambit or my new fav. Malesong Krambit, both are top shelf, tough as it gets, and sharp as hell. The Malesong can even break glass if you hit it right, making it as close to perfect as your going to find!

Take it from me, those "Hooked" knifes/tools with the notch and blade are more trouble them their worth! As someone who spend 20 years cutting pilots out of harnesses and busted up aircraft, a good Krambit is THE tool for the job! One quick swipe and your through a harness strap, and can move on other areas you need to.

Remember, whatever tool you're using
- if you're in the water, release/cut all passengers seat belts before breaking glass.

(it would be nice if a manual driver's window was required on all cars)

Remember, whatever tool you're using
- if you're in the water, release/cut all passengers seat belts before breaking glass.

(it would be nice if a manual driver's window was required on all cars)

…. or breaking wind!

The best "Rescue/Extraction" tool dosnt exist, but you can do pretty good with some well thought out designs. both Spiderco and Puma make excellent blades that can be counted on to get you out of trouble quickly. You want a hooked blade, like a Krambit, dosnt have to be serrated but does need to be sharp. Dosnt need to be able to break glass, but tough enough to cut through seat belts, wires, and other stuff like airbags and leather.
I carry an old Spiderco Krambit or my new fav. Malesong Krambit, both are top shelf, tough as it gets, and sharp as hell. The Malesong can even break glass if you hit it right, making it as close to perfect as your going to find!

Take it from me, those "Hooked" knifes/tools with the notch and blade are more trouble them their worth! As someone who spend 20 years cutting pilots out of harnesses and busted up aircraft, a good Krambit is THE tool for the job! One quick swipe and your through a harness strap, and can move on other areas you need to.
I second the harpie claw!

When I was a teen, my climbing partner messed up and decked me. I knew I'd been hurt but I didn't realize that I had burst 3 vertebrate and had bone compressing my spinal cord to half its normal size. So, I got to my knees to walk it off. It took an EMT rushing over to convince me to lay flat and not move.

Just sayin, if you're in that bad an accident, you're going to have to have a really cool head to overcome adrenaline.
I've witnessed TBI (traumatic brain injury) of a motorcycle rider, he was trying to move around and sit up. Myself and a few others were doing our best to ensure he didn't move, because he was trying to, a lot. That and ask him simple questions. What day is it? What is your name? How old are you? Repeat the questions after 2-4 minutes.

Luckily, I'm usually extraordinarily calm in stressful situations. When my face blew up a few years back, I was instructing others on what to do, even though I was the most injured. I should of probably let someone else take care of me, but I'm just like that.

I hope I'd have the same calmness if I ever got in a major motor accident.

I've got an Emerson and a Fox Karambit. Can't find any info on the Malesong. Does it go by another name?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews