JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It really does come down to preference. I went through this same decision a few months ago.
Here are some thoughts that helped sway me toward an Eotech XPS-2:
I have astigmatism in my right eye so I'm very susceptible to the blur of red dots. The smaller 1 moa dot of the Eotech works better for more precise shots out at 200+ yards.
I dont use a rifle on duty or patrol, so 4-8 hour auto shutoff is ok for me.
I have a better field of view through the Eotech. (I shoot both eyes open but did notice a substantial difference)
Large 65 MOA ring works for me for CQB. The bottom of the ring has the "tab" of the cross hair of the ring (for lack of a better term) which is perfect for the mechanical offset at 10-15 yards. (For those shooting head shots in CQB or practical rifle, you know how important this is - no figuring hold over)

I chose the OPMOD Eotech XPS-2 from Optics Planet. It fit the bill for me and was under $500 shipped. It has the buttons on the side (instead of the rear), quick release throw lever mount, and built in 7 mm riser for lower 1/3 cowitness. I didnt have the extra expense of buying a mount.
Its not NV compatible (another unnecessary feature for me).
It takes CR123 batteries (I keep an extra in my grip).

I tried to talk myself into liking the Aimpoint. But I just liked the view through the Eotech so much better.
One last thing i noticed regarding Eotech.... The reticle on my XPS-2 is MUCH better than the 512 or 517 models i looked at in the local stores. Those looked VERY pixelated which almost swayed me away from Eotech. I was glad to get mine and have a much better, clearer reticle than those I'd looked at locally.

Not to be argumentative, but it really doesn't just come down to preference. It did for you, but it doesn't in general. Aimpoint has a number of important, undeniable advantages over EOtech, namely a reputation for bomb-proofness, contrasted to EOTech's reputation for being pretty fragile. All the others have already been underscored in this thread... well done, gentlemen.

Aimpoint all the way. I haven't tried the PRO yet, but I've been a big, big fan of the C3s for years- very cost:benefit.

I have astigmatism in my right eye so I'm very susceptible to the blur of red dots. The smaller 1 moa dot of the Eotech works better for more precise shots out at 200+ yards.

I have severe astigmatism in both eyes, with the Aimpoint I turn down the brightness then bracket the target with the dim dot. Works great.

I don't know how "precise" you need a 1x red dot to be, but I have no problem hitting pie plates at 200 yards in the prone even without the above technique. It is used only to zero the sight.

I had the opportunity to look at both the Aimpoint and the EOtech (512 and xp3) today. Thanks to the staff at Surplus Ammo & Arms in Lakewood! They put several optics on their blue 'dummy' rifle for me, and after viewing both side by side, as well as feedback on this forum and friends still in the military, I am going with the Aimpoint. Thanks so much for all the advice and photos.
Chris

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads