JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,
Looking for a bit of advice on an optic purchase. I have a M4-style carbine on the way with a flat top and a low profile gas block. It'll take pretty much any optic. I was leaning towards the Eotech 512, but a friend suggested the aimpoint PRO. I don't have much experience with tactical optics, so this will be new to me. Any advice or experiences are welcome.
Thanks!
Chris

the biggest thing to concider is how is your eyesight?
i ask because if you have an astigmatism then they will all look fuzzy to you without sight correction.
i have an eotech and its just a blurry ball of red without my glasses or a magnifier,with the magnifier it is perfect and i love the eotech 557 but if i knew i would need a magnifier for another $500 then i would have just bought a trijicon acog for the same price and much smaller package
same with the aimpoint,it's like a line rather than a dot with bad eyes.

My eyesight is ok. I do have a mild astigmatism, but have shot a buddy's Eotechwith no issues before. I can shoot iron sights wth and without glasses. I looked at the ACOG as well as the Burris AR-332, and for what I want, as much of a pain as it is, I think an unmagnified primary optic will be my choice. I plan on adding a magnifier with one of those nifty swing-out mounts so you can get it out of the way when shooting up close. I still have a bit of research to do on mounts and maginfiers.....but opinions and advice always welcome!
Chris

The Aimpoint takes hard to find batteries once a year and sighting through it is very much like looking through the tube on a scope. The Eotech has a much larger display and can be had utilizing several different size batteries all of which are easier to find than the N batteries of the Aimpoint which is good since they last about 1/4th the life of the N battery. That said, if you put AA lithium batteries in the Eotech and carry a couple of spares you should be set for a year or so. Incidentally, the Aimpoint is considered more rugged.

EoTechs have a history of problems with battery drain, turning off abruptly while shooting, and batteries leaking. The Aimpoints have a battery life measured in years (roughly 5 years) with their 1/3N battery.

If you have a 30mm tube type Aimpoint, you can get a spare battery holder that fits right on the sight, like mine in the pic below. If you get a Laure mount like this: (<broken link removed> ) it has a spare battery compartment built into the mount.

H

IMG_1945.JPG

Sorry to hijack the thread, what mount is that on your AK?

EoTechs have a history of problems with battery drain, turning off abruptly while shooting, and batteries leaking. The Aimpoints have a battery life measured in years (roughly 5 years) with their 1/3N battery.

If you have a 30mm tube type Aimpoint, you can get a spare battery holder that fits right on the sight, like mine in the pic below. If you get a Laure mount like this: (<broken link removed> ) it has a spare battery compartment built into the mount.

H

IMG_1945.JPG

It's one of these: <broken link removed>

I can leave the Aimpoint mounted while stripping the rifle for cleaning. It also co-witnesses with the irons.

H

The Aimpoint takes hard to find batteries once a year and sighting through it is very much like looking through the tube on a scope. The Eotech has a much larger display and can be had utilizing several different size batteries all of which are easier to find than the N batteries of the Aimpoint which is good since they last about 1/4th the life of the N battery. That said, if you put AA lithium batteries in the Eotech and carry a couple of spares you should be set for a year or so. Incidentally, the Aimpoint is considered more rugged.

New Aimpoints take AA. I would never be worried about battery life on a red dot sight (unless it's something ridiculously low), unless I am in a combat zone and have to have that thing turned on 24x7. But even then EOTech on average setting will last 3 months or something. Whether Aimpoint is more durable than EOTech, I also doubt that. EOTech will operate with partially obstructed or cracked window, just like the Aimpoint. So it boils down to aiming preferences - large circle in EOTech for rapid target acquisition at shorter distances, with small dot in the center for shot placement at longer ones. Or larger center dot in Aimpoint...

Personally, I would put Aimpoint T1 on a rear sight block. Something like this :

Products - Attero Arms & Accessories

The best Aimpoint deal going right now is the PRO. Aimpoint has removed the mil/LE sales restriction, making them available to everyone. Shop around and you should be able to pick one up for $400 shipped.
IMG_0181.jpg

The EOTech line, the XPS has a lot going for it. The XPS2-0, 65 MOA Circle with 1 MOA Dot is my choice, since I don't have a need for night vision.
IMG_80751.jpg

It really comes down to personal preference. The Aimpoint has the 30,000 hour battery life, so you can leave it running for 3 years without worry. The XPS, like the other EOTech models, has an auto shut off feature where the optic turns off after 4 or 8 hours (user determined). The PRO has a single 2 MOA dot, while XPS has a 65 MOA outter ring and a 1 MOA center dot.

T1 owner here. I think the Aimpoint is quicker to turn on, if it has been turned off. The Eotech has a push button. If you have to adjust brightness Eotech you need to push a few times until your desired setting, Aimpoint twist. If you run NV, Eotech you have to push a button and if the buttons aren't on the side it can be hard to get in between the Eotech and PVS14 to push the NV button. The T1 is a quick twist of the large knob to get to the NV setting. It's also lighter, longer battery life and doesn't have an auto shutoff setting. Which one is quicker in a CQB situation probably comes down to training and not the actual dot pattern or size. In my opinion the T1 only has a tube "feel" if you try to look through it like a scope. With both eyes open I personally don't really see the housing.

I've used Aimpoints quite a bit, and only put about 30rds down with an EOTech so consider this my bias warning.

That being said, I like the simplicity of an Aimpoint. Red dot on the target, squeeze the trigger. With the circle/dot combo of an EOTech, there's more to get in the way of your sight picture. I know you said you've already ruled this out but my ultimate vote would go for an ACOG. I know it may seem contradictory to what I just said about simplicity, but once you get used to them, they're awesome. I don't think the 4x on the ACOG will be a problem for close shooting unless you're REALLY close and at that point any sight will be a nuisance.

Honestly though you can't go wrong either way. Best of luck. :s0155:

Again, Hijacking it... How's the XPS Cowitness with the Magpul MBUS? (I have front and rear, I assume you've got a standard front post)
The XPS2 series establishes an absolute co-witness and yes, using a standard fixed FSP. The EXPS2 series uses a 7mm riser for those folks that want the irons to be viewed in the lower third of the optic.

This is why I went with Eotech, also the superior reticule.. I do not like tiny red dots. The Eotech tip off magnifiers seal the deal for me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top