JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this on the innanet:

So I decided to make my own. It was easier than I thought.

C6FE8FC3-604B-4BF3-996F-E696BDFFDA4C.jpeg

I used colored wax on one so the contrast would show.

BB4FDC63-5A60-4BF3-B607-9C2F8280CF48.jpeg

I sacrificed the first one I made. My son used flint and steel to light it. It burned strongly for 14 minutes. I'm going to put a few in a Foodsaver bag to seal, but not suck all the air out. Perfect for the emergency kit.

P

Just coat cotton balls with petroleum jelly and keep them in an old pill bottle
Saw this at a sportsman show - amazed at how well it works. Road flares do a good job of starting things up.

Just coat cotton balls with petroleum jelly and keep them in an old pill bottle
Saw this at a sportsman show - amazed at how well it works. Road flares do a good job of starting things up.

Three minutes compared to 14 minutes. Plain cotton plus Vaseline burns well, but exhausts quickly.

Plus, this was fun.

P

I use Wetfire. I have messed with a lot of the other home made solutions. They are fun, but watching Wetfire burn on top of a frozen lake forming a little puddle and still burning really sold me.

+2 for road flares.

I just keep plain dryer lint for not soaking conditions.

Had the wife take an egg carton and fill it with lint, then dump her smell good wax (after it stopped smelling good) over the lint.

I usually take 2 of those as well and they burn forever.

Yup when I did a SAR group as a kid I always carried a road flare and a small bottle of gasoline.

Walmart sell a 2 pk of signal flares for a gew bucks. Well worth it. They are small and easy to pack.

I always used saw dust soaked in wax and dumped into a toilet paper or paper towel tube. Cut off what you need... A little burns a long time. A whole tube is enough to warm you up if there isn't anything else available.

I am a woodworker so I make saw dust by the bushel.

I use road flare for snowmobile kit, diesel for campfires. For hunting, the dryer lint +wax, a bunch of commercial sawdust sticks, a candle, waterproof matches, and some pitch bark. I also carry a tommyknocker for luck!

Ever try to use one in extreme cold?

:s0054: It was a joke son.....He should have lit it with those little magnesium shavings and flint like thing with the hack saw blade.

But, yeah, those "Safety" butane lighters they have now suck! Hows a crack head supposed to fire up his pipe with one of those things when he's lost in the wilderness and it's 28 degrees and windy!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top