JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get some info on 6.5 Grendel from those that shoot a lot of it.

I'm looking into this from a cost perspective.

More specifically, AR based rifle that can shoot better than 556 at all distances yet ammo is inexpensive.

From my brief understanding, there is steel cased 6.5g? Is this stuff any good? Is it even cheap? I've never really sought it out. Lastly, if it's cheap AND good, is it readily available? What's a case of 1k usually run?

The round itself…

Is it good to distances within 1000y? What's the most common barrel length? What's the most common velocity?

I've dipped into 6mm ARC and it's an amazing cartridge… In a bolt gun though. I load it to much higher pressure than is stated in the reloading books for gas guns. I don't really want to have both and load for both. I'd look at it the same way as if I had an AR in 300 black. Too easy to accidentally mix up something. That and I'm slowing down on how much I reload too. I could always speed that up if components became more available.

Thanks for the tips and information!

Reno

My 6.5G Howa Mini action has become my favorite long-gun shootin' iron. That's not what you asked about though. I don't have one in an AR (and am not interested in it).

The 6.5G however is a tack driver at range. I don't have a place to shoot it 1000y, but have to 540, using factory Hornady 123gr match ammo.

I don't reload for it yet, but need to start. Some 99gr hammers scream out of it, according to data I've seen.

I picked up a bunch of info from the www.65grendel.com forum.

I dont have exact answers but have started a Grendel build, the muzzle velocites at the few factory rounds ive looked at run 2238 to 2692 in the 125ish grain range (typing from memory...).
Im going to handload with Hammer Absolute bullets which get at least 200fps more velocity than others....

Im looking at going with a 20in bbl custom upper from grendelhunter.com

Im interested in hearing what others have come up with here....

I have a CZ 527 bolt in 6.5 Grendel. I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, and only have fired my reloads (no steel case ammo). Based on the research prior to me picking up this rifle, the 6.5 Grendel seemed like a neat round. I'm hoping to get time to develop a good loads for some intermediate range shooting with it.

I hit a pretty long shot with a scoped 18" 6.5 G
I liked shooting it a lot, kicked a little and you could feel the power.

Brass ammo was nearly $3 per trigger pull.

No thanks.

I "almost" pulled the trigger on a 6.5G complete upper. The long range (>500yrd) terminal performance/advantage over 5.56 had me intrigued. Still does. But..

Each mag dump would basically be paying my monthly internet bill..can't do it.

I'll stick with my AR in 5.56..and when I want to plink on the cheap I'll run the 10/22 :)

5_56_6_5.jpg

Good find Kruel..I just have some issues with a) russian ammo and b) steel casing. If and when I get into reloading, then Koda's idea sounds good. I generally only use brass casing, name brand stuff..maybe I'm ocd.

But $.74 a round is half the price of what I found low-side at ammoseek.com.

My hope it that 6.5G keeps gaining in popularity and pricing comes down.

To me, the biggest downside the the Grendel in the AR is the need for proprietary magazines (granted, they work with 6ARC & 224 Stupid-Norse-name), but no STANAG mags with the Grendel. Get 'em while you can (if you can).

More specifically, AR based rifle that can shoot better than 556 at all distances yet ammo is inexpensive.

One from 2018 states it was $0.30 a round back then. $0.70+ isn't worth it.
Im curious what your use for the Grendel would be?

My guess was a round almost twice the size of 223 wouldnt be as cheap as 223. I don't think the caliber is practical strictly for self defense like an AR15 223/556 is really meant to be. But I do like the idea it could be used the same way.

.84c/rd

Im curious what your use for the Grendel would be?

My guess was a round almost twice the size of 223 wouldnt be as cheap as 223. I don't think the caliber is practical strictly for self defense like an AR15 223/556 is really meant to be. But I do like the idea it could be used the same way.

.84c/rd
Cost mostly. I'm not able to pay the current primer prices and or take the time to find them whenever they are local. So I'm looking into other calibers that I've heard or recalled were inexpensive. I recalled seeing that Wolf started making 6.5 Grendel on a blog once. I couldn't tell you when I saw that, I just remembered it talking about it being inexpensive for a "better" than 556 cartridge. Fast forward to now and I haven't the clue what's happened to this caliber over the years. Just seeing if it's worth looking at still.

Cost mostly. I'm not able to pay the current primer prices and or take the time to find them whenever they are local. So I'm looking into other calibers that I've heard or recalled were inexpensive. I recalled seeing that Wolf started making 6.5 Grendel on a blog once. I couldn't tell you when I saw that, I just remembered it talking about it being inexpensive for a "better" than 556 cartridge. Fast forward to now and I haven't the clue what's happened to this caliber over the years. Just seeing if it's worth looking at still.
I think in that case then the Grendel will be out for you. My guess is maybe that blog discussion was around a good deal at the time but I dont see how the Grendel will ever be as affordable as 556 to shoot. I do think the Grendel is a "better" round than the 556 though, but not from a price point.

I have a large quantity of it, but haven't shot that much

I think in that case then the Grendel will be out for you. My guess is maybe that blog discussion was around a good deal at the time but I dont see how the Grendel will ever be as affordable as 556 to shoot. I do think the Grendel is a "better" round than the 556 though, but not from a price point.
I agree that it is better than 556.

I wasn't sure if it was still the least expensive of the similar cartridges. Having watched a few videos on YouTube, older videos, it looked like the steel cased stuff was pretty decent stuff, as well as decently priced in the scale of AR calibers. Damn shame it looks like it got much more costly over the years.

After looking a bit more, at the above $0.70 a round it's the least expensive non 223/556 AR cartridge.

I'm guessing it was always about the same % above 223/556 prices.

I agree that it is better than 556.

I wasn't sure if it was still the least expensive of the similar cartridges. Having watched a few videos on YouTube, older videos, it looked like the steel cased stuff was pretty decent stuff, as well as decently priced in the scale of AR calibers. Damn shame it looks like it got much more costly over the years.

After looking a bit more, at the above $0.70 a round it's the least expensive non 223/556 AR cartridge.

I'm guessing it was always about the same % above 223/556 prices.
Yeah the percentage is what I was getting at. I think the thing about alternative AR calibers is that self defense shouldnt be the primary reason to get into them, you cant beat the 556 for that. There has to be a different primarey reason like suppressed, or long range hunting/target ballistics.

Yeah the percentage is what I was getting at. I think the thing about alternative AR calibers is that self defense shouldnt be the primary reason to get into them, you cant beat the 556 for that. There has to be a different primarey reason like suppressed, or long range hunting/target ballistics.
It would be for the longer distance shooting part.

It would be for the longer distance shooting part.
Sounds like your facing some cognitive dissonance here :p

Its the cheapest most accurate alternative AR caliber. Maybe just ditch the idea of buying bulk ammo and just have fun with it exclusively as a long distance shooter?

Sounds like your facing some cognitive dissonance here :p

Its the cheapest most accurate alternative AR caliber. Maybe just ditch the idea of buying bulk ammo and just have fun with it exclusively as a long distance shooter?
You can say that first part again.

Sometimes I just need to type out my loopy gun ideas over the web with local gun folks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top