JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The engineer in me can't see it.

Why take a brilliant versatile cartridge like 5.56mm and neuter it with a short barrel, and then pay the government for the privilege?

If you need short, get a AK folder or a Galil/R1, SCAR, Tavor or AUG. Seriously even 16" is marginal. 18" better. Even the 300 BLK is a better, more versatile weapon with 16 inches.

I just don't get it? :cool:

The military uses a 14in barrel on their M4s. With current heavy ammo for the 5.56, it can take a small,lightweight, and highly maneuverable weapon and turn it into a an efficient machine. Additionally, with calibers like 300bl, SBRs really come into their own.

Chicks dig em! My 10.5" SBR is great fun! I can make hits past 300 yards (yes, I use a scope) on clays as long as I am stable. The barrel length effects velocity to a point and there are lots of places to get information on ideal lengths, diameter, etc which effect barrel harmonics. I don't like the part about paying Uncle Sam a $200 tax but that law has been in since 1934 so I don't see any change soon. Get what floats your boat and practice until it's second nature.

Get an AR or AK pistol, sure, velocity goes down.. But a 10" barrel can still take a projectile a ways out.

With the pistol and arm brace, you can still take the brace to your cheek or shoot from a rest. Nice and compact, no tax stamp.
Its the route I took with a few toys..
I guess its the PDW mindset.
Short barrel, very compact, concealable and they tuck away in small bags more so than a 16"+ rifle.
It depends on what your intended use or scenario for it is.. But I will say, SBRs and AK/AR pistols are always a crowd pleaser if you shoot with family or friends.

Why take a brilliant versatile cartridge like 5.56mm and neuter it with a short barrel, and then pay the government for the privilege?

If you need short, get a AK folder or a Galil/R1, SCAR, Tavor or AUG. Seriously even 16" is marginal. 18" better. Even the 300 BLK is a better, more versatile weapon with 16 inches.

I read the posts and still ask the same question
I have never needed a 'more' concealable rifle .....ever
Chicks dig em!
Really? Are you like 21 duuude?:confused:

I believe it's someone trying to be an "operator"

Short answer is that a compact rifle is an extremely accurate and effect weapon for close quarters. It is harder for an adversary to knock it away or disarm you, and you still have 30rnds of an intermediate rifle round at your disposal. I have both a 300BO as well as the 223. 223 being considerably cheaper ammo I can use that for practice, and have the 300 for home defense. Those are my thoughts.

I cant even see anything 200 yards away . Why would I want to shoot that far away? 300 BLK is optimized for a 10 inch barrel. Any more than that is a waste of metal. With a silencer there is absolutely no benefit to using more than 10" of barrel.

$200 isnt quite nothing but its pretty damn close. Why anyone sweats the cost of a tax stamp is beyond me. Sure, I could buy some more ammo with $200. You know what else I could buy with $200? A tax stamp. Then I could use another $200 more and buy more ammo. Thats why I have a job. So I can buy more crap. Fits under the seat of my truck. Fits in my sock drawer. Fits in my backpack.

PiOVeZ.jpg

Well said.

Indeed... I personally have no application for shots past 250-300... So I have to turn this question back around on the OP: why do I need MORE than 10.5"?

$200 isnt quite nothing but its pretty damn close. Why anyone sweats the cost of a tax stamp is beyond me. Sure, I could buy some more ammo with $200. You know what else I could buy with $200? A tax stamp. Then I could use another $200 more and buy more ammo. Thats why I have a job. So I can buy more crap. Fits under the seat of my truck. Fits in my sock drawer. Fits in my backpack.

View attachment 254778
for me its not the money, its the compliance.....

Comply with what? Use a bootleg copy of Willmaker and write a trust in 10 minutes. Don't even read it. Get it notarized at kinkos by a pimple faced 19 year old clerk who has no idea what they are signing, send it in with your form 4 . The ATF has to approve it even though they know its a total scam. If theres anything that reeks of non compliance thats it.

Comply with what? Use a bootleg copy of Willmaker and write a trust in 10 minutes. Don't even read it. Get it notarized at kinkos by a pimple faced 19 clerk, send it in with your form 4 . The ATF has to approve it even though they know its a total scam. If theres anything that reeks of non compliance thats it.
I do like your style

$200 isnt quite nothing but its pretty damn close
Oh brother:rolleyes:. Well when you put it like that,then you sir, are obviously a fool with your money.
If you have way more money than you need,it's still a foolish statement.
Then you put in to context that you are frivolously giving it to the government,I don't know what else to say
But I could say it kinda makes sense since you and the government don't deal with money very good
JMHO

The U.S. dot gov has about $4000 of mine tied up in tax stamps over the last 20 years. Keeping plenty of welfare mothers in gubmint cheese I am.

$200 in 1934 would buy you a car. A good one, or at least as good of a car as was being made in 1934. It was 7 ounces of gold. That would be about $ 8500 today.

Its 2015. Its not $8500 any more. I keep it in perspective . I make $200 before lunch. If I want a tax stamp I buy one and don't think twice about it. No way would I let a measly $200 tax stamp keep me from buying a silencer, machine gun or SBR. Pretending like $200 is a lot of money or that giving it to the government is somehow heinous is absurd. It costs $200 to play the NFA game with the other option being not playing the game at all or breaking the law and potentially going to jail. It's no big deal.

Last Edited:
I also make $200 before lunch, often. Sometimes twice or three times that. Before lunch. More after.

Fact.

Why aren't I rich, you ask?

'Cause then there are other days I don't make $10 before lunch. Some I don't make a dime all day

Then other days I actually lose a little...

So it all just balances out.

Anyone got an extra food stamp application? Winter is coming. Maybe I can sell some tax stamps

Comply with what? Use a bootleg copy of Willmaker and write a trust in 10 minutes. Don't even read it. Get it notarized at kinkos by a pimple faced 19 year old clerk who has no idea what they are signing, send it in with your form 4 . The ATF has to approve it even though they know its a total scam. If theres anything that reeks of non compliance thats it.
You still have to put YOUR name and YOUR signature on the document, so I'm not sure how using a bootleg copy of willmaker and skipping the fingerprint/CLEO thing reeks of non-compliance. It's pretty clear who is behind the trust.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top