JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, seems a little misread, the following parts brands are what I can find on ebay;
For struts front
1. Monroe
2.KYB
3. Sachs
4. Unknowns

For springs both front and rear
1. Moog
2. Monroe
3. Unknowns

For shocks (rear only)
1. Gabriel
2. Monroe
3. KYB
4. Sachs
5. DAK?
6. Unknowns

Looking for my quote from Les Schwab when I went to change tires out.. Might've said Monroe or KYB for strut

I tried to find complete strut/coil assembly in pairs, but on Ebay only seems to list Left front for complete struts... :confused:o_O:rolleyes:
I'll contact S. Point and pick their brains... and contact my family mechanic who last time I spoke to him, had quoted me $300 including labor for just front struts.

I bought struts from eBay/Amazon once.
I failed to replace the top hats and had a couple bearings drop out on disassembly.

I regretted that, long term we sold the vehicle to a dealership so... that didn't matter.
Our Prii in the driveway will get quality struts because they ride too good to risk on knockoffs.

I'm cheap

I've learned over the years that OEM parts are the way to go. Some aftermarket parts are superb in quality but the characteristic and how they perform are completely different. Regarding suspension I tend to go with OEM because I've grown accustomed to how it rides. With aftermarket it will either be to soft or too stiff and if it's not what you're used to you'll end up spending more money in the end. It's cheap for a reason and if you don't care than by all means buy the cheapest.

I've learned over the years that OEM parts are the way to go. Some aftermarket parts are superb in quality but the characteristic and how they perform are completely different. Regarding suspension I tend to go with OEM because I've grown accustomed to how it rides. With aftermarket it will either be to soft or too stiff and if it's not what you're used to you'll end up spending more money in the end. It's cheap for a reason and if you don't care than by all means buy the cheapest.
The problem is basically; who makes the OEM parts for Kia?
I just checked out Rock Auto; wow, so much less money than Ebay for name brand parts! Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, Sachs, and a brand I've never heard of.. FCS? They're out of stock on Front Right complete strut/spring assemblies :rolleyes:
But have them separately in stock it seems.

But have them separately in stock it seems.
if you can, wait for the whole assembly. I swear I'll never do a shock only replacement. I'll pay the extra. FFS that's a LOT of potential energy by my face. I always keep my mouth closed and avoid grunting but if that spring compressor slips, my lips won't keep my teeth in my mouth.

Let me know if you need a driveway to do it in if one isn't available. While I'm not offering my services of wrenching since my hands are crap now, I can offer a place to do it if needed. Sorry though, I don't have a garage it's been converted.

If you think you are cheap I know I am cheaper. If you are going to hang on to the car did you price the original parts? Just checking. Some of the original suspension parts like struts may not be too bad.

I only go to Ebay for knock-offs, because, IMO, even if the vendor says, "genuine manufacturer part", chances it, it's a load of B.S.
That said, I've purchased non-critical parts (hood gas struts), and even though the vendor guaranteed they fit, they did not. YMMV.

Don't use these types.

Use these style strut spring compressor tools.
Sage advice, and widow-makers - yes. I still have my original pair from 30 years ago when I had no money for repairs.
If that's all ya got, two must be used on a spring at the same time, and they must be screwed down simultaneously or 1-2 rotations each, alternating (i.e. uniform force on the spring).
Aluminum doesn't bend - when you reach it's strength limit, it ruptures. That's a whole lotta energy in a compressed spring, and if one ruptures first, that spring will shoot like a cannon ball.

Don't do it! DON'T USE EBAY PARTS!
We had to re build the front suspension on Dads Volvo so he bought the lower control arms and bushings and all the needed parts! took me 4 hours to swap it all over and get it back together! Drove worse then it did with the old worn parts! Turns out all the bushings were way too soft and mushy and made the car very dangerous to drive and would have also worn the tires out in very short time! SO..............Had to order the right parts, and do it all over again, and then deal with EBAY to get any resolution on the crap parts, which they then went after the seller on! Still no resolution on that, so Dad is out the "EXTRA"" he paid the first time! This is one of those areas where it really pays to do it right the first time!

Use the widow makers. The people having problems with them are using only one, not tightening them evenly, and so on. They are fine.

The other kind listed, that look like a big scissor, really suck. They're so huge and bulky they sometimes don't even fit in the spring, and the ones that do fit won't fit with enough room to compress the spring far enough.

The "widow makers" work fine. Take your time. Keep your face away while tightening. I've never seen one let go and don't know anyone who has.

Just use them properly and evenly.

Update; I haven't purchased struts, had to spend money on winter studdable tires, and radiator and hose replacements. Found out... it aint the struts thats doing a speed wobble. It's that one wheel and tire which is now doing service as a spare :confused:
New tires and actually balanced wheels, no more speed wobble, much less vibrations... noted that the camber adjustment is not on the struts but on the upper A arm mounts
Guess that makes it much easier to adjust ? The mounts have a series of radial lines and a hex nut that I assume would change the camber.

The front suspension is double A Arm with McPherson struts; as opposed to normal coil springs and shocks :rolleyes:

Upper and lower control arm is much better than a single control arm with only a strut holding the knuckle.
Agreed, just noting that on most RWD vehicles that employ double A-arm/wishbone suspensions, they have a coil spring to frame mount plus shock absorber somewhere in the area. Perhaps its given that it also is where the front driveshaft halves goes that Kia went for a mcpherson strut with a forked end to clear the driveshafts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top