JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why do people dump ammo into cans, plastic bags, etc, and toss the original packaging?

The history of the ammo is lost.
If there is a recall, or a round damages your gun, you are screwed,
. No way to track it.
Other than .22rf, I personally, would not pay ten cents on the dollar for ammo I could not identify the history and pedigree on.
So, why the dump?
Best,
Gary
I will pay 20 cents on the dollar:)

Factory ammo that I own or have owned stays in original packages until shortly before use. I never know for sure if I'm going to use it, therefore I like it to remain as salable as possible. Or, in the case of an "estate event," my family will at least know what it all is.

I've looked at UPS requirements for packaging of ammunition that is to be shipped. I don't think that loose packed, bulk ammo qualifies. Here's what UPS says:

" Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, partitioned within a snugly fitting outside box or in metal clips. Cartridges must be properly cushioned and protected from accidental initiation. The inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packaged in securely closed outside packaging that will not open during transit."

Ammo taken out of original packaging is no longer cushioned and individually protected. In a way that would prevent accidental initiation. Most commercial ammo doesn't come packed on clips. Packed loose, the bullet tip of one cartridge could theoretically accidently initiate a neighboring cartridge.

Yes, I know, most people aren't going to ship ammo after they buy it. But bulk packaging would be a consideration if you were to want to. And lately I have done so.

Last Edited:
Keep in mind some ammo companies sell it loosely in buckets. As long as its unopened and new production Id buy it.

can't speak for others, but i reload for my guns. after i find a load for any of them, i usually go enmasse. an mtm small bulk box will hold 1,000 nines and the same box will hold 500 223's with a 30 rounder inside. an old rolodex card on top identifies the loads. as far as dumping everything together, i don't even do that with 22lr's. other than 22's i've never shot a factory round other than to get the brass. but that's just me.

I put some in an ammo can

I cut off one side of the box so I know what's in it.

On the non printed side of the cut off, I track the remaining rounds in the box after each day at the range.

If I get low, I refill. Still have all data I need for the ammo in the box.

Edit: I don't do this with my match ammo

I did buy a bag of loose rounds once. .22 LR. At one of the last gun shows I attended some time back. There were about 3,000 rounds in the bag, it cost $25. There was a label on the bag that said it came from the Skagit Co. Sheriff's Office property room; I guess it got auctioned off. I bought them for my grandson to shoot in his Savage kid-sized .22 rifle. First, to keep him busy one day, I gave him the job of sorting them all out by brand and it turned out there were only three or four specific kinds in the whole bunch. Whomever the sheriff's office got them from had just deboxed factory ammo and poured it all into one bag? You never know on auction stuff.

I put all my bulk ammo in cans for portability reasons .22, 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 all the same lot number. I guess it's just the prepper in me, but if I have to bug out, I want to be able to grab and go and to just throw in the truck. I also will only use metal cans if you dropped one of those plastic ammo cans with 500-1000rds you would be playing 1000 pickup.
20210319_182732.jpg
The other side of the end box has the lot number, date, and quantity.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top