JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why do people dump ammo into cans, plastic bags, etc, and toss the original packaging?

The history of the ammo is lost.
If there is a recall, or a round damages your gun, you are screwed,
. No way to track it.
Other than .22rf, I personally, would not pay ten cents on the dollar for ammo I could not identify the history and pedigree on.
So, why the dump?
Best,
Gary

So I can throw the trash away at the house, in the trash can.
Not try to track it down after the wind blows it away in the woods....
I dont plan to resell the loose ammo in the cans...... unless the price is right, lol

I agree. To each their own, and people can do whatever they want with their own stuff, but I wonder the same thing whenever I see an ammo can full of loose ammo for sale.

At some point, the boxes and baffles and trays become garbage.

I have garbage cans at home. I have wind at the range.

In fact, I just threw away the boxes that my last three firearms came in. I am not selling them. Just clutter.

I put my 5,56mm rounds on stripper clips to make it easier to reload my magazines, I bought a few steel ammo cans which included stripper clips on the ammo so I reload them and use the same ammo box to store my ammo. The rest like 12 gauge shells, etc. I leave them in the cardboard box and put a rechargeable desiccant in. I check to see if the desiccant needs to be recharged in the oven I am able to go a year or more sometimes before it changes color and needs to be recharged.

I do put a few boxes folded up with the lot number and I only put the same ammo on stripper clips. If I have different lot numbers I will put them in different ammo cans.

Last Edited:
My personal convenience. I (used to, back in the good ol days) dump 20 boxes of 9 into a plastic ammo box and then just shoot out of that for a few weeks. When it gets low, I'd do it again. Trash stays manageable and the only thing I have to worry about is my brass and my targets.

So I can throw the trash away at the house, in the trash can.
Not try to track it down after the wind blows it away in the woods....
I dont plan to resell the loose ammo in the cans...... unless the price is right, lol
I understand what you are saying.
But I just passed on 500 rounds of .9mm HP that was loose.
I do not think that was woods plinking ammo.
Best,
Gary

Sounds like it's a lot more common than I thought. I'm actually the exact opposite. I'll check the dumpster at the range and pick out nice, clean factory boxes to put my reloads into.

Then again I don't shoot large quantities. If I shoot more than a couple boxes of any one caliber on one range trip, that's a lot for me.

Best,
Gary
Yeah, I'm talking about steel cased 7.62 and .223, not brass 9mm hp high quality ammo...
That stays in cases

You do realize that some ammo is sold loose, right?
True, but what always gets me is when I see an ammo can full, and the description is "mostly Blazer Brass, but probably some Federal, maybe some Remington, a little Blazer aluminum".

Like I said, to each their own, whatever works for you is none of my business. I tend to be a little too perfectionist sometimes, and like to know exactly what I'm shooting. I do realize that not everyone sees things the same way, and for plinking ammo it really doesn't matter that much.

I agree. To each their own, and people can do whatever they want with their own stuff, but I wonder the same thing whenever I see an ammo can full of loose ammo for sale.

I share that feeling, however I've got 9mm, 45ACP & 223 ammunition that was purchased prior to our current dilemma. Good stuff, unless nobody likes Federal ammunition. It's nicely marked at the end of the casings & all arrived in big plastic bags. Doesn't bother me a bit.

When I need some for range use, 50 rounds of bulk ammo so fits nicely in small plastic containers. Saves even more space in the range bag if I get in a hurry & use resealable bags instead. Saving the boxed stuff for the grandkids when they grow up. Works for me, anyway, since I'm mostly shooting 22LR these days due to ongoing ammunition shortages & crazy high prices.
Kinda makes me wonder how many marksmen out there are doing somewhat the same.

Fair enough, and I am not as cavalier as my post would indicate.

I would not fill a bucket of random ammo unless it was strictly Tula/Wolf/Blazer range ammo, and even then I won't mix weights.

JHPs are considered special purpose in my stash, so they do not get the bucket treatment.

On the other hand, I do have this sitting on my too-cluttered loading bench. Any random small quantity of ammo gets tossed in. Anything questionable at all gets pulled down, but orphan rounds that are too good to tear apart find a home here.

IMG_0727[1].jpg

Why do people dump ammo into cans, plastic bags, etc, and toss the original packaging?

The history of the ammo is lost.
If there is a recall, or a round damages your gun, you are screwed,
. No way to track it.
Other than .22rf, I personally, would not pay ten cents on the dollar for ammo I could not identify the history and pedigree on.
So, why the dump?
Best,
Gary
I only do it with primers. A good glass pickle jar will hold about 50,000 primers.

lol, not really

Mostly because a 12500 rd barrel of 5.56 FC weighs just shy of 400 Lbs. With bulk boxes, I cut the important part of the box off and tape it to the inside of the ammo can lid.

I store loose with some things. I keep things in baggies with the box labels tossed in. I can fit nearly 1/3 more + in the 50 cal cans I use.
And if I'm really feeling OCD I can fit 260 12 gauge shells in one. I'm all ammo can oriented and am limited to the 24 lining the bowed floored closet that is my gun cabinet. Match stuff (308 and .223) I'll keep in nifty boxes. All my Nato 5.56 was bought in 1000 loose bags. (You can fit 1400 in a 50 can if you're... bored. :rolleyes: )

Best,
Gary
personal storage habits aside, this was really wise move. I would never buy loose factory ammo like that same as I no longer buy reloads.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top