Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Drop in AR triggers

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Oct 19, 2014.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I am looking for a single stage small pin drop in. I have no experience with anything other than mil-spec parts.

I am leaning towards the CMC flat 3.5 lb unit that is about $150

What does the more expensive units gain?

mjbskwim likes this.
  2. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

I have a CMC flat 3.5 lb and it is a great trigger!

3. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

I too have a CMC 3.5 lb flat. There were a number of group buys on Geissele and other triggers on another firearms forum and those that bought many said that the CMC was certainly the best value if not better overall.

The pins come long so as to accommodate varying lower receiver body widths but are easy to sand/turn down.

CMC was rumored to be coming out with a two stage trigger. Did that ever happen?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

CMC 3.5lb flat is top of my list for my AR's. I checked them out up at Rainier Arms one afternoon, really feel great. Gisselle and Timney are fantastic triggers, no argument there, but the CMC seems to be in the same league for an easier to swallow price. For my uses, I think it's the one.

5. IronMonster

I should drop in Rainier, that would give me a chance to fondle them all. I keep forgetting the premiere AR store in the NW is 3 miles away :)

6. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Awhile back I was shopping triggers and the store I was at had a cut-away lower that you could swap triggers into with relative ease and see about pull weight, travel, slack, etc. CMC was the money. Eventually I'll pick up a geiselle, but I'm happy with CMC and in no rush to change it.

7. BlindedByScience

.....3 miles..?? When my Marine was in town on leave, we made the drive from Vancouver.....:cool:

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Single stage? You're not going to find much better. If you want a two-stage later, Geissele (pr: GUYS-lee) SSA and SSAE are the best I've tried. If you want to learn to install an AR trigger in less than 10 minutes, this 20 minute video will cover any regular AR trigger install.

Once you've done one, you'll never shy from it again.

9. BlindedByScience

For a very sweet two stage trigger, I forgot to mention the Wilson Combat TTU-3G trigger. They're in the same ball park, price wise, as the Geissele and I think they are very worthy. Had my hands on a couple AR's with that trigger in them, really nice trigger. If I wanted a 2-stage trigger, they'd make the short list, to be sure.

10. yskippy

yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

Anytime I get a new AR, the first thing I do is drop in a new CMC flat trigger group.

11. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Geissle is the best. I have the SSA-E and would never go to anything else. Worth every penny.
    A good trigger is 60+ of your accuracy.

12. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For a step up in performance from LPK triggers and for $39.00, I use the ALG triggers on budget AR's.
    Geissle's wife owns the company.

13. IronMonster

You really notice a difference? You must be just using the stock (QMS) trigger at $39? Cheapest I see those is $45 but it looks to me like the $65 ALG trigger would be the first place you would see any advantage over mil-spec?

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I didn't say it was a big step, just a next level up.
    No grittiness, smoother and a more consistent 6.5 pull.
    I found them on a "buy it now" eBay sale.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  15. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I have 2 CCM curved triggers they are both entirely different, one is clean the other mushy until let-off, maybe I should have cleaned it before install?
    Next time I will opt for a flat trigger

16. IronMonster

No one but CMC has the flat triggers in stock (and they are $45 more than from Midway)

17. BlindedByScience

18. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I really like my CMC trigger, which I chose because of the price. I didn't want to break the $200 barrier and the price for CMC is closer to $175. Very happy...

I got a Bill Springfield $45 trigger job on a mil-spec trigger of mine, but he RUINED my trigger. He took it back "fixed it" and sent it back to me, but nothing changed. After firing a shot, when I released the trigger to reset...another BANG. Very very very bad. He should have offered to buy me a new mil-spec trigger, but nothing. Very unhappy...

erudne likes this.
  19. IronMonster

Yep, very very bad. I have heard that stoning and polishing of the mil spec parts is a no no. They are case hardened, not full hard so it takes very little material removed to get to the soft innards.

I assume the "upgraded" mil spec parts are polished and then heat treated and then cleaned back up.

regardless I would think you could not have a worse result from a trigger job you describe .

U201491 likes this.
  20. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

They are good, just a little less refined that her husbands.