JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are only 3.5 junk guns and they come from 2 companies. There is the Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorn they keep having to change the name because of problems. The .5 is CAI. I have not seen any reports on their AR's but if they are like any of their other guns it is VERY hit and miss. For the small amount you save on something like this it is not worth the risk. I do have a couple of CAI guns but I knew what I was buying when I got them and at a price I was willing to live with.

Also if DPMS is bad what do you think of the Remington R-25 series of rifles? DPMS makes the Remington R-25 rifles.

I just had heard they were bad I don't know never shoot one and tomcat very nice looking so now knowing thery r good I will have to look into getting one cuz the only ars I have shoot and r bush and rock rivers and olympic only heard things about dpms but will have to change my mind thanks for u info guys

The biggest differences is the finish. You will notice Bushmaster uses the Mil-Spec anodizing which actually hardens the outside of the aluminum several hundred times harder than the middle. DPMS uses a teflon like coating, which is fairly durable, but does not give the strength of the anodizing. The only place this makes a big difference is on the innerds. Specifically the lower receiver parts. The Bushy will tend to hold up longer. The thing we need to keep in mind on that subject is I have NEVER seen a shot out AR. 40-50,000 rounds is literally NOTHING!!! You cannot afford to shoot enough ammo through one of these guns to really wear it out. Bushmaster has more Mil-Spec components, but still not as many as some other companies like Bravo company or Colt. I have a Bushy that I love to death, but I know their are nicer guns out there. I own some of them. But I cannot say they work any better or more accurately than the mil-spec bushy. DPMS has a larger variety of options available for the consumer that likes to buy the gun already customized. That with their extremely large amount of marketing they do compared to the other manufacturers surely makes them a favorite among buyers. From what I understand, Bushmaster has a slightly higher quality control process, but they get most of their components from the same forgers like CMT. I do know that Bushy barrels are supposed to be manufactured in house with very closely monitered for quality. I also know from what I have seen that the staking is better on the Bushy's. But again, to most people who shoot a few hundred or even a few thousand rounds a year out of their guns, they will never see a difference. I once heard that DPMS receivers are the ones that companies like Colt and Bushmaster rejected, but I have no information to back that up.

DPMS are awesome guns. Period. They may not be my "preffered" brand but anyone that says they are "pure junk" is full of it.

Olympic Arms guns are a different story. I will NEVER own another Oly. I got kicked off a range because while my buddy was shooting it, it started going off in bursts. After I started working in a local shop, I had people coming in on a monthly basis telling me the same thing happened to theirs. Then we got wind of someone actually getting in serious trouble due to Olympic over milling certain trigger control parts and having them go full auto, and not in a good way. This can cause the gun to fire 'out of battery' and you can lose limbs because of it. We had a customer come in with one that was so badly built, the bolt shattered inside the gun and it froze up like an engine block without oil. I have seen some nearly new with VISIBLE BURRS inside the barrels. Mine had the finish on the upper reciever bubble off, this cannot happen on an anodized finish (which is what they claimed at first to use). Also, PMAGS and other non mil spec mags would not fit inside the magwell. Oly said it was because their fitment was 'tight' (trying to say it was a good thing), and that the PMAGS must have been out of spec (they worked just fine in all the other guns we tried). I cannot remember how many times I had to drive the gun to Olympia and drop it off to have it fixed.

The level of ignorance concerning the AR platform around here is just mind boggling.

Seriously, why would anyone want an AR built to meet or exceed the TDP???

Correct chamber dimensions? Who needs em...

Use of the correct steels for things like barrels and bolts? Why be a snob?

Shot peening, magnetic particle testing, high pressure testing? Bunch of mumbo jumbo...

Stuff like proper springs and buffers? Who cares...

Staked carriers or castle nuts? Why would you even need that...

Need I go on? I mean after all, parts are parts...

Its not like there are sites out there that are dedicated to the AR platform where industry professionals and serious end users share information based on extensive experience... all this brand elitism you read is just hearsay parroted by fanboys and snobs, clearly. I mean, my brand X AR is totally awesome, I shoot it several times a year, sometimes hundreds of rounds even and it works just GREAT. Why spend extra money on something from the left side of some chart when you can stock up on awesome accessories from NcStar or Tapco or CAA...

The level of ignorance concerning the AR platform around here is just mind boggling.

Seriously, why would anyone want an AR built to meet or exceed the TDP???

Correct chamber dimensions? Who needs em...

Use of the correct steels for things like barrels and bolts? Why be a snob?

Shot peening, magnetic particle testing, high pressure testing? Bunch of mumbo jumbo...

Stuff like proper springs and buffers? Who cares...

Staked carriers or castle nuts? Why would you even need that...

Need I go on? I mean after all, parts are parts...

Its not like there are sites out there that are dedicated to the AR platform where industry professionals and serious end users share information based on extensive experience... all this brand elitism you read is just hearsay parroted by fanboys and snobs, clearly. I mean, my brand X AR is totally awesome, I shoot it several times a year, sometimes hundreds of rounds even and it works just GREAT. Why spend extra money on something from the left side of some chart when you can stock up on awesome accessories from NcStar or Tapco or CAA...

Right, okay...let me get this straight. Actually let me first start by asking what kind of car you drive? How big is your TV set? Wait, the fact that you even OWN an AR is a contradiction of it's own. I mean, why own a Semi-automatic .223 when you could own a single shot .22? Neither is legal to bring down large game, therefore why not shoot paper with a .22lr? Gets the same result doesn't it? Why not buy a $1000 car and drive it until it no longer goes? Why not keep your old tube TV instead of getting that new LCD or Plasma? I mean, you can watch the news on both right?

People buy something for a reason. You are telling me that because I spend $300+ for a Daniel Defense because it is lighter, thinner, and much more solid, vs much less for an offbrand that is bulky and otherwise ugly that I am not only a 'snob' but also 'ignorant of the AR platform'? I mean, how dare someone spend $200 on a custom trigger which will improve feel and accuracy, how dare them.

The only thing I can think of is you are being sarcastic. After all, I care about things like carriers being properly staked. I have seen what a poor staking can cause. And NcStar? Come on.

The only thing I can think of is you are being sarcastic.

Very, VERY sarcastic... we're on the same side bro. ;)

I just get tired of seeing similar threads where those who try and educate (if they even bother at all anymore) will often get drowned out by the brand X is just as good crowd, so I figured I'd take a different tack with this one. Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't always come across clearly on the net

Are we supposed to be impressed that you have an ARF membership? Most of us on here do as well, I've built more AR's than you have eaten ham sandwhiches.

And for the record I wasn't referring to Arf... Signal to noise ratio on TOS is all out of whack. ;)

OP or anyone else who cares, feel free to PM me and we can discuss why I am negative with regards to DPMS, Bushy, etc. The subject has, however, been beaten to death in a number of AR related threads.

I wasn't claiming to be a expert. I too have a ARF membership, I have a few AR's I use mine for mostly coyote hunting. I am saying for what I use it for my dpms does as well as my rock river, and my 2 bushmasters. All are MOA at 200 yards. I don't use mine to fight with in Iraq or Afghanistan, and would prob not rate mine as ready to go to war.

If it works for you and does what you want it to do, there's nothing wrong with that at all. My sarcasm is directed at the "it's just as good crowd" who would have you believe that things like I mention in my first post aren't important in a gun meant for serious use. I view most of my firearms as serious tools and require them to be capable of exemplary performance under adverse conditions. If you don't intend your weapon to be a serious use rifle and have no illusions regarding it being ready to go to war then I have no beef with you or your choice of firearm. Not that this thread was necessarily about whether a DPMS or bushy is a good choice for a fighting weapon, but comments about certain rifles going up against any other or how so called brand haters just parrot BS tend to wind me up.

And what ammo are you running to wring 2" at 200 out of these rifles? What barrels are we talking about here?

I think they're both good. I don't own any DPMS guns though, so can't speak about them from experience (other than selling a few when I worked at a shop). What I was told by a gunsmith buddy/AR guru, is that the guns he prefers to use are LMT, Colt, and Bushmaster, in that order. He told me that Bushmaster has a better quality control that some other manufacturers, and that if they find one bad part in a lot when the inspect it, the get rid of the lot, and send it back or sell it to another manufacturer. This is of course what I was told, so have no way of saying it's the gods honest truth or not. He is a picky AR guy and I've seen him build a lot of them, even a couple for me. He told me that DPMS, Rock River, Stag, etc, don't do as good of a job inspecting parts, finishing, and sometimes machining. I've had an F'd up Bushmaster before, so I guess anything can have problems. Through the years, everyone tells me to stay away from Vulcan, and that Olympic stuff isn't that great. I own Bushmaster and LMT complete rifles, LMT and Daniels Defense uppers, S&W and Stag lower with different uppers on them, and Rock Creek and Alexander Arms barrels on stuff, and I think it's all that's good stuff.

It is good to see that DPMS & Bushmaster bashers don't just frequent the AR15 sites...lol.

FYI: DPMS, Bushmaster & Remington are all part of the same holding company, Cerberus Capital Management. Yup, they are the same guys that ran Chrysler into the ground.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top