JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Double-barrel for Defense?

• Yes! This is the best option! Fill my eyes with that double vision ...

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Good, not great, but I would be hip to that kindly tip. Double your pleasure or something.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Can be pressed into service, but not ideal.

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No and I don't care what this book or a sitting POTUS thinks.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Don't really consider shotguns the best for this application, so, I guess no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it is a lamp shotgun and I'm enjoying the great outdoors.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
So, last year when I was doing a decent amount of air travel, I picked up various paperbacks to stuff in carry on. One I acquired, but didn't read, was this likely unintentionally hilarious tome:

thumbnail_IMG_3746 - Copy.jpg

Thumbing through it, the author seems to really think a SxS double is the ideal home / small business defensive tool. Complete with this picture that, evidently, made the final cut:

thumbnail_IMG_3747 - Copy.jpg

What say you? Ideal, workable, or not a serious option circa 2024? Enjoy!

Last Edited:
Sure why not...
Any firearm will work as a defensive firearm after all.
Granted some will serve better than others.

As like any firearm...
A double barrel has it's own peculiarities and it wise to know them...and if they work for you and your situation and how you shoot.

Getting off a second shot with a double barrel shotgun is quick , unless....
You have a Stoeger "Condor" over / under shotgun...that gun has a dumbazz automatic safety.
Which...goes on every time you break open the action ...AND..after you fire a barrel...the safety will go on AGAIN.
As I said dumbazz...and potentially life threatening..as in threatening your own life , in stressful a situation.
I had one , not for very long as I sold it most rickety tick.

Again the above shows that one most know your defensive firearm inside and out...
Andy

The 12ga 00 buck round fired from a double barrel is no less lethal than fired from a semi or pump with more capacity.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it wouldn't be my last choice either.

You have a Stoeger "Condor" over / under shotgun...that gun has a dumbazz automatic safety.
I had to laugh at your post, @Andy54Hawken . At least my Stoeger Condor only hits the automatic safety after the action has been opened. I can't tell you how many times I forgot it when shooting trap... Someday I will get that fixed.

A double barrel shotgun isn't what I'd consider first for defense. But I 'spose in that instance, I'd just as soon have a double hammer, double trigger side by side.
Until then my Maverick 88 will pull that duty.

I had to laugh at your post, @Andy54Hawken . At least my Stoeger Condor only hits the automatic safety after the action has been opened. I can't tell you how many times I forgot it when shooting trap... Someday I will get that fixed.

A double barrel shotgun isn't what I'd consider first for defense. But I 'spose in that instance, I'd just as soon have a double hammer, double trigger side by side.
Until then my Maverick 88 will pull that duty.
I bought mine new last year...and only had it about a month....shot it and patterned it...but that damn safety came after every shot.
So....
Off to the gun show it went...:D
Andy

Great if you're riding shotgun on a stagecoach in bandit country ca. 1870. :)
Ideal for home defense? IDTS. Unless you're a bird hunter on a budget.

Otherwise, there are much better options these days.

PS. What year was that beauty published?

My wife likes her Stoeger 20ga coach gun. Its her bump in the night, sleep with it in the tent camping gun. The safety does go on when you open the action but stays off until you open the action again. I think it's a feature of the double triggers as opposed to as in Andys case the singe trigger resetting. Something I hadn't thought about in thinking of my next shotgun.

The 12ga 00 buck round fired from a double barrel is no less lethal than fired from a semi or pump with more capacity.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it wouldn't be my last choice either.
Capacity is what puts it towards the bottom of my list. Also I prefer #4 buck over 00 buck. Some of the self defense videos and stories I've read seem to be having more aggressors than just 1 or 2. Capacity is key in my opinion

So, last year when I was doing a decent amount of air travel, I picked up various paperbacks to stuff in carry on. One I acquired, but didn't read, was this likely unintentionally hilarious tome:

View attachment 1794520

Thumbing through it, the author seems to really think a SxS double is the ideal home / small business defensive too. Complete with this picture that, evidently, made the final cut:

View attachment 1794521

What say you? Ideal, workable, or not a serious option circa 2024? Enjoy!
Any gun is better than no gun…. but I'll see your SxS and raise you 9-shots with a pointy thing for defense of home and hearth!

:s0017:

IMG_5026.jpeg

Or consider a SxSxSxS…… :D
IMG_5033.jpeg

Capacity is what puts it towards the bottom of my list. Also I prefer #4 buck over 00 buck. Some of the self defense videos and stories I've read seem to be having more aggressors than just 1 or 2. Capacity is key in my opinion
I'd take a double barrel over some of the junky semi auto's.

Plus. If you really got a handle of it. Popping two rounds and putting two more in the gun wouldn't take very long. Plus, if you are worried about multiple attackers, after they see their friend lose his guts and collapse on the floor, you'd probably have more time to reload than usual, plus, they'd likely leave.

As far as 00 buck compared to #4. Quick math shows it takes 5 pellets of #4 on target to achieve the same ft-lbs of force 2 pellets of 00 buck do and two pellets of 00 buck is equivalent to about 1 9mm when we compare weight and velocity of projectiles.

I don't have any experience shooting people, but I'd lean toward heavier projectiles than lighter projectiles traveling at the same speed out of a shotgun.

I'd take a double barrel over some of the junky semi auto's.

Plus. If you really got a handle of it. Popping two rounds and putting two more in the gun wouldn't take very long. Plus, if you are worried about multiple attackers, after they see their friend lose his guts and collapse on the floor, you'd probably have more time to reload than usual, plus, they'd likely leave.

As far as 00 buck compared to #4. Quick math shows it takes 5 pellets of #4 on target to achieve the same ft-lbs of force 2 pellets of 00 buck do and two pellets of 00 buck is equivalent to about 1 9mm when we compare weight and velocity of projectiles.

I don't have any experience shooting people, but I'd lean toward heavier projectiles than lighter projectiles traveling at the same speed out of a shotgun.
I wouldn't trust my life to any "junky" gun (i guess its better than a stick). I also don't have people shooting experience, what i do have is 20+ years of experience of killing animals with shotguns. From bears and cougars at 10 feet to coyotes at 74 yards. To each their own but I choose #4 buck out of my well broke in sbe2

I wouldn't trust my life to any "junky" gun (i guess its better than a stick). I also don't have people shooting experience, what i do have is 20+ years of experience of killing animals with shotguns. From bears and cougars at 10 feet to coyotes at 74 yards. To each their own but I choose #4 buck out of my well broke in sbe2
In your experience with bears and cougars and coyotes, what does #4 do better than 00?

I like 4 Buck for my wifes 20 ga for her protection and defense. 4 Buck is .24 dia and a 2 3/4 20ga shell holds 21 of them. 00 Buck is .33 dia but in a 2 3/4 12 ga it only hold 8 pellets. Granted the 00 is bigger and heaver but 21 holes is still 2 1/2 times more holes than 8.

Last Edited:
Double-barrel for Defense?

Depends on the user. I think shotguns are a good home defense firearm, but someone who is more familiar and comfortable with a shotgun would be better served with the additional capacity of a pump or semiautomatic.
For a person that rarely handles a gun, a double barrel is a very simple and effective weapon and probably a better choice than a handgun.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews