JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry if a stupid question, but at the barrels not marked? Sometimes it is hidden under the wood. What would make sense? First trigger more open and rear tighter. But that is likely why you are asking. :rolleyes:

Hope someone has a definite answer...following.

The front trigger is most often used first, with the most open choke, as the bird is usually closer when first acquired. Then the rear trigger, as the birds are farther away, with the tighter choked barrel being fired.

Some double barrel shotguns have both barrels choked the same. Still, the front trigger is fired first, as it's easier to find the rear trigger after the front trigger is pulled.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, for a plethora of reasons.

Last Edited:
The front trigger is most often used first, with the most open choke, as the bird is usually closer when first acquired. Then the rear trigger, as the birds are farther away, with the tighter choked barrel being fired.

Some double barrel shotguns have both barrels choked the same. Still, the front trigger is fired first, as it's easier to find the rear trigger after the front trigger is pulled.
Thanks for that info. I have not been able to find anything on the gun that would tell me what the chokes are.

Gently place a dime in each barrels choke. That will tell you which barrel is tighter. Generally, the right barrel (front trigger) will be more open. And even knowing how much choke either barrel has, the only way to evaluate the performance of any choke, is to fire the shotgun at a pattern board. Different chokes can act far differently with different loads and wads.

Again, a dime doesn't always tell you what the choke value is, but it tells you which barrel is choked more or less.

Many older doubles were Improved and modified chokes (which coincides in my opine for a good grouse gun) though such things depended on the guns intentions (water foul or upland) and, if ordered specially choked.
Measuring should tell what you need to know, if you have the ability, if not, and you expect to have continued interest in the gun sports, may I suggest you acquire an always ready, quality analog (dial) caliper -graduated to .001. Down the road you won't be sorry as this won't be the last time such knowledge could bring piece of mind.

Measure the muzzle with calipers and use this table to determine choke.
Choke_Table.jpg

Gently place a dime in each barrels choke. That will tell you which barrel is tighter. Generally, the right barrel (front trigger) will be more open. And even knowing how much choke either barrel has, the only way to evaluate the performance of any choke, is to fire the shotgun at a pattern board. Different chokes can act far differently with different loads and wads.
Also, can't one tell which trigger works which barrel by noticing the two trigger's relationship to each other?
If the front trigger is to the left of the rear trigger, wouldn't it mean that the left barrel fires when the front trigger is pulled?

Also, can't one tell which trigger works which barrel by noticing the two trigger's relationship to each other?
If the front trigger is to the left of the rear trigger, wouldn't it mean that the left barrel fires when the front trigger is pulled?
That would make sense, but would go against the front trigger, right barrel establishment.

In firearms, there are many standards, but fewer absolutes. Also, there are 'left-handed' shotguns, but I've never seen an example of one that fires the left barrel first.

Last Edited:
That would make sense, but would go against the front trigger, right barrel establishment.

In firearms, there are many standards, but fewer absolutes. Also, there are 'left-handed' shotguns, but I've never seen an example of one that fires the left barrel first.
I just checked Grandpa's old double hammer gun. Sure enough, front trigger, right barrel.

...and now I know.
Thanks for the info.

From the 1950s forward in the fixed choke era, the general choke practice for double barrel field guns was based on barrel length. Indeed, most did not mark choke constrictions on the barrels. Barrels of 28 and 30 inches were choked modified and full. Barrels of 26 inch lengths were choked improved cylinder and modified. In double trigger guns the front trigger fired the open choke. Non-selective triggers fired the open choke first. In side by side guns the right barrel had the open choke. The bottom barrel on over and under shotguns had the least choke constriction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top