JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchased a Leupold vx 3i 3.5x10x40mm scope and got the wrong model number, without the CDS feature. I bought it on Amazon. I am sure I can return it. However, is the CDS feature that good to warrant sending the scope back to get the CDS? Or is it that important? Thoughts? BTW, I am planning to hunt with the scope, as it has the increased twilight capability.

While the tread title says "bullet drop compensator", what the OP is really talking about is the CDS, which is basically a target turret for the elevation. The scope still has a standard duplex reticle.
Mine works very well, but it's the only part of the scope I wish it didn't have. At the range it's a simple deal to turn in the minutes of angle needed and "Wah Lah" I'm centering the cross hairs on a distant target.
In use when hunting it's a very real possibility that moving thru the brush can/will/has spun the CDS dial (target turret) off of zero. I lock mine with tape. Cheesy, but it works.

I'd keep the scope without the CDS dial, if it was me.

No. BDC's have gotten out of control. How the F do you even see your target?

Too busy for me. Guess I'm a little dense.
By aiming at the target. Not all BDC stuff takes up the entire view.
PO4x17Reticule10.jpg

Finding a good accurate load...and using it for all of your shooting is helpful.
I have one load for my Hawken rifle ...I know just where I need to aim to hit at various distances with it.
Granted this takes lots of practice...

Yes I know this thread is about scopes and their options..
But the idea of using one load and getting lots of quality practice with it , so you know where to aim , to hit with it , at various distances , remains sound.

Good shooting whether it be with a modern scoped rifle or a traditional style muzzleloader , boils down to the same thing...trigger squeeze and sight alignment.

Use what you want and what works for you...practice with it , so that your use of it , becomes "second nature".
Andy

I see a small silver button on the new CDS turrets. Has that been added just recently to prevent accidental turning of the turret?

orygun is correct...CDS is different than BDC. I would never buy a CDS because it locks you into one bullet and load, unless you want to spend another $80 for additional turrets/loads. If you don't your special CDS turret is just like any other in that you have to know what each click represents at a given distance.

It is a nifty marketing idea though and see why Leupold introduced it. And at $80 a pop for additional turrets it is an item that keeps on giving for Leupold.

Short answer for Hunting, NO!;)

LEARN THE RIFLE AND IT'S CHOSEN AMMO! Learn where it "Hits" with the scope and it's power settings! Less to rely on and less chance of a mistake!

Can it be used, SURE, but again, learn the rifle and ammo first and don't use it as a crutch!

Meanwhile I have two rudimentary rangefinders (one is deer sized for height, though width is left as man sized shoulder width) but still find myself using windage markings as mildots....

I'm doing math again damn it, I thought it was all supposed to be fun and not have math!

It depends on what you are asking of the piece. For a woods rifle (Assuming high power centerfire of some sort. Anything from 30-30 on up for the sake of conversation), where shots are short, it may not be in great demand.

If you hunt woods (Lie we did for 25 years)..... and after 16 years of waiting you draw an antelope tag in super flat country that is more or less devoid of cover, and ranges end up being 300 yards is considered "close"......you may feel like the one size fits all approach is a mistake. We did this. First time I have ever felt under prepared with my trusty rifles/scopes. Got the job done. But we missed opportunity because of the equipment.

Lately, we have been shooting at 500-600+ yards in preparation of an elk hunt that takes place in pretty open country (Hoping to get within 300 yards of said elk. Figured if we can hit at double that on command, we will be prepared adequately).

I tried my trusty 30-06 (Had this rifle since 1991. Shot a couple thousand rounds thru it since. To say I am familiar with it would be an accurate statement) without dials at 500 yards in a bit of swirling wind last weekend. It was humbling. Took the rifle with dials, and easy peasy. Took the rifle with dials, and a scope with MOA reference points on it, and it was chip shot.

Assess your needs, get equipment to suit. A long range rig capable of 3000 yard hits may not be the best choice for jump shooting critters in the woods.

I purchased a Leupold vx 3i 3.5x10x40mm scope and got the wrong model number, without the CDS feature. I bought it on Amazon. I am sure I can return it. However, is the CDS feature that good to warrant sending the scope back to get the CDS? Or is it that important? Thoughts? BTW, I am planning to hunt with the scope, as it has the increased twilight capability.
Honestly, I would say if you have to ask if you need it. You probably dont need it.

While the tread title says "bullet drop compensator", what the OP is really talking about is the CDS, which is basically a target turret for the elevation. The scope still has a standard duplex reticle.
Mine works very well, but it's the only part of the scope I wish it didn't have. At the range it's a simple deal to turn in the minutes of angle needed and "Wah Lah" I'm centering the cross hairs on a distant target.
In use when hunting it's a very real possibility that moving thru the brush can/will/has spun the CDS dial (target turret) off of zero. I lock mine with tape. Cheesy, but it works.

I'd keep the scope without the CDS dial, if it was me.

Thank you, I was going to mention that as well.

As to the OP, if one is asking that question than the answer is NO, it is not "needed", it is up to you as to whether it is desirable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top