JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know they sell "precision micrometer" dies and powder measure spindles, but I have found this method, using a Dial Caliper just as accurate.

I often use the neglected "depth gage" feature on the back of every Dial Caliper to set my seating dies, powder measures, etc.
I record these reference measurements/settings in my reloading log and use them to get back when I am duplicating a prior load.
They don't just get me close but in fact are spot-on for seating depth and powder weight.(at my level of accuracy for pistol ammo icon_lol.gif ).

With most reloaders already having a Dial or Digital Caliper, it's a no brainer icon_lol.gif

Pics:
Bullet Seater
attachment.php?attachmentid=186361&d=1485551863&thumb=1.jpg
RCBS powder measure, I removed the dome from the screw for a more accurate measurement.
attachment.php?attachmentid=186362&d=1485551902&thumb=1.jpg
Lee Auto Drum, a little tricky but can be done
attachment.php?attachmentid=186363&d=1485551952&thumb=1.jpg
Another consideration is the thread pitch of any screw being adjusted. Like one turn of a 1/4x20 screw advances it 0.050".
I put a notch or line on seating die stem and by knowing the thread pitch can be certain how much an eighth/quarter/half turn will shorten the OAL of a cartridge.

Note: I have recently posted this info on different forums and did not search the archive's here for similar info.
So if it's "old news"...never mind.
:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR